Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Muffler Delete Help needed.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler Delete Help needed.

Im pretty ignorant on this topic so I'm hoping you guys can help me out.
I'd like to take my mufflers out and replace them with straight pipes from after the cats to the first clamp after where the muffler currently is.

where can I find pipes that will slide into these spots. I have an 04 GTO, Borla Exhaust.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

Take it to a Muffler shop, I am sure they can make the pipe you want but not 100% sure it will be stainless like the borla system is.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 700rocket
Take it to a Muffler shop, I am sure they can make the pipe you want but not 100% sure it will be stainless like the borla system is.
Any idea how much it would cost?
Old 01-12-2013, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

its going sound like ****. why not go with corsa cat back or atleast something?
Old 01-12-2013, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

^This. How is the rest of your exhaust system. Do you still have the stock manifolds and do you still have resonators on. If you still have the stock set-up with the resonators, I would have them removed and replaced with an H or X pipe and keep the borlas.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:41 PM
Staging Lane

What RPM is does the sound of a resonator delete become noticeable? like 2500+? or will I hear a difference between 1-2k?
Old 01-13-2013, 05:45 PM
Teching In

It should be noticeable even at idle but you should definitely keep the mufflers cause I ran striaght pipes for awhile and the drone is not easy to live with and eventually everything starts to rattle in the interior.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mlmedina26
It should be noticeable even at idle but you should definitely keep the mufflers cause I ran striaght pipes for awhile and the drone is not easy to live with and eventually everything starts to rattle in the interior.
Yeah I'm going to keep the mufflers, just wondered when I'd hear the sound difference in a res. delt. I'm hoping to get a little more sound outta it cause right now i feel like im driving around in like a damn camry at low RPMs lol so quite unless i stomp on it.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

As mlmedina posted, you will hear a difference even at idle.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran straight pipes on stock exhaust with manifolds....

For about a week.

If I were you, I would keep your Borla. If you want more noise add headers, if you don't want to spend that much just get cat deletes.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 409CISecondGen

For about a week.

If I were you, I would keep your Borla. If you want more noise add headers, if you don't want to spend that much just get cat deletes.
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldnt have any luck at all, so I will not be doing a Cat delete as much as I would like to. lol
Old 01-14-2013, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You made the right move, I'd have Borlas as my aftermarket choice on my H/C car
Old 01-14-2013, 03:50 AM
Staging Lane

Cat delete

/thread

Or get a electric cutout.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

The shorty JBAs might make it louder. I believe you can use your stock cats with those.
Someone near me is selling a set for 230$ on craigslist which is not too expensive.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:07 PM
Staging Lane

How much is resonable to charge for a resonator delete (straight pipe replace) ive read anywhere from 25-100 bucks which sounds cheap, but this ***** i talked to on the phone made it sound like it was going to be real expensive cuz he'd need to take my exhaust system off my car to do it... how true is this with the 04 gto?

also, even if it did have to come off, i know it bolts on from the cats down to just past the resonators.. idk doesnt seem like a big job like this guy made it out to be lol.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

I think I paid $75.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:48 PM
TECH Regular

Do not cut up a 1000$ stainless steel Borla exhaust to have the local amateur welder put in a 12" section of aluminized piping...

That's like cutting the roof off your GTO because you really wanted a convertible Miata.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

Do not cut up a 1000$ stainless steel Borla exhaust to have the local amateur welder put in a 12" section of aluminized piping...

That's like cutting the roof off your GTO because you really wanted a convertible Miata.
LoL I couldnt agree more... dont hack up a nice system for straight pipes.... put in a catless x-pipe and u will like the sound and power increase.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slickgoat05
its going sound like ****. why not go with corsa cat back or atleast something?
Because Corsa sounds worse...?

Originally Posted by RobJ25
Yeah I'm going to keep the mufflers, just wondered when I'd hear the sound difference in a res. delt. I'm hoping to get a little more sound outta it cause right now i feel like im driving around in like a damn camry at low RPMs lol so quite unless i stomp on it.
"Muffler Delete Help Needed"-"Yeah I'm going to keep the mufflers, just wondered when I'd hear the sound difference in a res. delt."

Lol wat? Shouldn't the thread be appropriately named "Resonator Delete Help Needed"?

For about a week.

^This.

If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldnt have any luck at all, so I will not be doing a Cat delete as much as I would like to. lol
What's luck go to do with deleting your cats?

How much is resonable to charge for a resonator delete (straight pipe replace) ive read anywhere from 25-100 bucks which sounds cheap, but this ***** i talked to on the phone made it sound like it was going to be real expensive cuz he'd need to take my exhaust system off my car to do it... how true is this with the 04 gto?

also, even if it did have to come off, i know it bolts on from the cats down to just past the resonators.. idk doesnt seem like a big job like this guy made it out to be lol.
He's a ***** because he may/may not have to take the exhaust off? How mature of you to insinuate that...
Ever wonder how he would weld the top of the exhaust pipe with it on the car?
Getting the exhaust off isn't a big job. But it does take a little bit of time to take off and put on...which is labor...which costs money.

If you're not wanting the new pipe welded in, cut the ****** off yourself, get the appropriate amount of pipe, and clamp the new in place. You're probably gonna' have a nasty exhaust leak, but that's what happens when you cheap out.

Originally Posted by skidooingit
LoL I couldnt agree more... dont hack up a nice system for straight pipes.... put in a catless x-pipe and u will like the sound and power increase.
HUGE power increases on a stock car!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by thehazz12
Because Corsa sounds worse...?

"Muffler Delete Help Needed"-"Yeah I'm going to keep the mufflers, just wondered when I'd hear the sound difference in a res. delt."

Lol wat? Shouldn't the thread be appropriately named "Resonator Delete Help Needed"?

^This.

What's luck go to do with deleting your cats?

He's a ***** because he may/may not have to take the exhaust off? How mature of you to insinuate that...
Ever wonder how he would weld the top of the exhaust pipe with it on the car?
Getting the exhaust off isn't a big job. But it does take a little bit of time to take off and put on...which is labor...which costs money.

If you're not wanting the new pipe welded in, cut the ****** off yourself, get the appropriate amount of pipe, and clamp the new in place. You're probably gonna' have a nasty exhaust leak, but that's what happens when you cheap out.

HUGE power increases on a stock car!
No where did I state huge gains to be had, and second over stock cats an x pipe setup will free up hp on a completely stock car. So whats with the additude instead of banging ur head u should firmly stuff it up ur ACE

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Muffler Delete Help needed.