Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Shifting Issue Question...HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 10:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting Issue Question...HELP!!!

Greetings-

Ive got an 04 PBM M6 with an LS3 swap. Cam, longtubes, monster clutch, Tick 2 built trans...Last night I was driving the car and it began to get difficult shifting into gears. I stopped the car, put the clutch in, put it in first gear, and with the clutch ALL THE WAY DOWN the car jerked forward from a stop. I put it in neutral and tried every other gear without success. I wont force anything on the car EVER. I shut her off immediately and had her flatbedded to my mechanic. Soooo, my guesses vary from:

1)Slave Cylinder
2)Master Cylinder
3)Bleeding the clutch line (hopefully)

Its looking like the trans has to be dropped on her. Id love to hear some advice or suggestions or experiences with a problem like this. Also, as long as Im in there, Id like to upgrade some things. What aftermarket replacements would be the best while im in there? I look here for a new slave:

http://www.tickperformance.com/gm-sl...6-pontiac-gto/

But I just don't know what else is out there. Any help or input is hugely appreciated. As long as she is pulled apart I want to put the best/strongest parts back in. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by krellio23; 01-17-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

How many miles on the clutch? Sounds like a clutch issue if your pedal has pressure maybe the clutch needs a shim or bad slave...
Old 01-17-2013, 10:00 PM
Teching In

About 5k on clutch. Monster stage 5 clutch and Fwheel. Never abused by me and up until yesterday had PLENTY of grab on her. While trans is down what else needs to be done and with what parts??
Old 01-17-2013, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

my buddy had the same problem i believe he said it was his pressure plate or a spring busted on the clutch i cant remember which but he had the monster 4
Old 01-18-2013, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

That's fairly low mileage...ur clutch shouldn't b an issue I've heard issues with needing a shim to give ur clutch full engagement, but u would need to ask who ever installed it. I would bleed everything first since that's a fairly easy thing to do.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Disengagement issue.

You need a shim (even though SNL will tell you you dont)
If a shim doesnt work, and its still not disengaging fully, your PP would be messed up (which also wont be SNL's fault because you still have air in your system or put your clutch disc in backwards)
If a spring on the clutch disc popped out (also not Monsters fault) or is messed up, it will give the same issue.

Go with a different brand to fix the problem.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

I just had this problem with my car a month ago. It was the slave cylinder. You need to get underneath the car and look at the bell-housing, and see if you have any liquid there. There is a little slit also for you to look up in and see if the is any wet liquids up in there if you can't see residuals on the outside. If you do however see some on the outside of your bell-housing or transmissionm I would think it may be possible that it's the slave cylinder, since you have low miles on your clutch. If no liquids then look at your master for leaks as well, if you are ok there, than it would most likely be clutch issues.

Quick Reply: Shifting Issue Question...HELP!!!