Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Member

Good afternoon folks 2 weeks ago i purchased an 05 goat 85k on the clock 6speed, only mods where k&n drop in filter and optima red top battery
so far ive done a muffler delete full tune up and diablosport predator tune(had the tuner from my previous car, ls4 impala) and small cosmetic stuff like spoiler delete just plugged the holes and lower grille removed

low on mod funds due to being disabled till april(motorcycle accident) so just worried about maintenance for now.. and the power is more than enough for now lol

only real plans are headers, CAM(along with a proper dyno tune), suspension upgrades as coil overs, polyurethane bushings etc. and whatever else i find on here that i like.. but thats all down the line till i get working again..

as of right now i see alot of pages are no longer here? only 2 pages on the forum?? can any of you guys point me into the right directon as of good forums for the ls2 goat?

only question i guess i have now is brakes... what brakes are you guys running better than stock? do you guys recommend i get brakemotive slotted rotors w/pads? or just spend that money on really good pads? steering wheel shakes might be rotors havent checked yet but i figured might as well change them out anyways who knows what stress theyve gone through..

thanks for looking..

Old 02-25-2013, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

i have stock brakes. i think theyre adequate. at least for what i have.

nice color though i wouldve kept your spoiler.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

ls1gto/ls2gto.com would be your best bet, as far as the best forums out there. The hardest part will be the wading through the BS on the site.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by markpetersonii
ls1gto/ls2gto.com would be your best bet, as far as the best forums out there. The hardest part will be the wading through the BS on the site.
lol yea ive already gotten to experience the bs... ive never had that problem on any forum which is weird... are all of the gto owners E.D. having old farts or wtf??

but thank you for your input!

and as for the brakes im going with HAWK HPS, i just hope my rotors are still good...
and yea i might put the spoiler back on i like the sleek look but i feel it looks kinda tacky..
Old 02-27-2013, 11:51 AM
Launching!

I'm rocking the stock brakes on mine. You can switch to Corvette pads for a little more surface area to. I've driven a lot of cars in my life that had much smaller brakes than these cars came with stock. CTS-V caliper and M5 rotor swap would be sweet though.

Nice car. I spent several weeks looking for a CGM myself to no avail when I bought my current GTO. I removed the wings from both the cars of I've owned. Maybe this one I'll get around to filling in the plugs. Too many other things to do that are higher priority for me.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:01 PM
Launching!

Clean looking car... Ls1gto would be your best bet, but there is a lot of bs there.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Work on the suspension first. Worry about everything else later.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 05TurboCGM
Work on the suspension first. Worry about everything else later.
Roger that, that's also something I'm trying to look up info for as to what others have upgraded to and what's more important to take care of first, I know for sure I need struts I feel everything, but going to wait to get coil overs

Thanks for the input
Old 02-28-2013, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

Hawk ceramic pads and DBA slotted rotors are a great upgrade. Maryland Speed usually has good package deals on this combo. The stock brakes are barely adequate, but not sufficient if you like to drive a big heavy car fast. Rotor warp is also common in our GTOs and is usually the cause of the dreaded steering wheel shake. Switching to Hawk/DBA eliminated my shake and vastly improved the braking ability of my car. Necessary mod in my opinion.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SJFGTO
Hawk ceramic pads and DBA slotted rotors are a great upgrade. Maryland Speed usually has good package deals on this combo. The stock brakes are barely adequate, but not sufficient if you like to drive a big heavy car fast. Rotor warp is also common in our GTOs and is usually the cause of the dreaded steering wheel shake. Switching to Hawk/DBA eliminated my shake and vastly improved the braking ability of my car. Necessary mod in my opinion.
Thanks, still haven't gotten to rotating my tires to remove and check the rotors since im just waiting to do the brakes at the same time, but I want to change them anyway, but now that you say that warp is common I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it is... Already bought the hawk hps pads online ill look into rotors today, thanks!
Old 03-06-2013, 11:36 PM
Staging Lane

Im on DBA rotors. They seem to function great. haha.

+1 on the spoiler delete. I took mine off, as well. Looks much better without it.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

check out Lovells bushings and Andy from the http://www.kollarracingproducts.com can hook you up with everything you might need for suspension, even coilovers.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:26 AM
Teching In

Stay away from ls1gto.com. Nothing but ******** on there.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:57 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Cabikejumper
You know its funny but, the ones that either get banned or people jump on because they don't try and learn themselves, instead try and have the info spoon fed to them, THEY are usually the ones that have a hatred towards it.

I've been given warnings and infractions but, I still like the place. It's actually quite amusing sometimes.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Cabikejumper
Really? I've been a member there for nearly 7 years. Sure there have been a few butt heads, but show me a car forum without them. The knowledge base for 2004-2006 GTOs there is unsurpassed anywhere else. Lots to learn and great technical assistance. Just ignore the few bung wipes, most folks there are pretty cool.

Quick Reply: New Member