Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Just bought a 2005 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just bought a 2005 GTO

I have a few questions, and I'll start with the most important. I picked up the car in L.A. and drove back to Houston. Wow.

This afternoon when I left work, I noticed that the temperature arm was at the bottom since it was cold. A few minutes later, it was at the 3/8 mark. Oddly enough, it was at the same 3/8 mark for the entire trip. What's going on here? There have been no indications of overheating.

Should I take this to an auto upholstery place to have them re-glue the soft trim piece back to the door? Or should I try it myself with some sort of adhesive?

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...psab876e1a.jpg

The left side of the panel snaps into the two pieces hanging down, but it looks like the right side doesn't reach into the holes on the side of the adjacent piece. Am I simply missing a part?

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...psd0b5df79.jpg

There's a leak in or around the windshield wiper fluid reservoir. I'll probably need to unplug the battery to locate the leak. Are there are security concerns with unplugging the battery?
Old 04-01-2013, 07:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new Goat!

1: My car runs at the same mark as yours, so I'd say that's normal.

2: You could probably get away with using some upholstery adhesive for the door panel.

3: Disconnecting the battery should not cause any problems.

Good luck and enjoy the car.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tim94gt
Congrats on the new Goat!

1: My car runs at the same mark as yours, so I'd say that's normal.

2: You could probably get away with using some upholstery adhesive for the door panel.

3: Disconnecting the battery should not cause any problems.

Good luck and enjoy the car.
Thanks, man.

1: Sorry. I should have stated my concern. I was just worried that it warmed up too quickly - not even five minutes.

2: Okay. I may give it a shot.

3: Good. However, I poured a bit of water down there and discovered that the little black plastic line is just hanging down. I couldn't squeeze underneath there to see where it should be connected.

Any ideas on the panel below the glove compartment?

I upgraded from a 1998 Trans Am with 180K on it. Heh. The engine was still exceptionally strong, but I just wanted something newer and nicer overall.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any pics of the car man? Must have been a good deal if you went all the way to L.A. to get it.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:01 AM
On The Tree

The temp guage is kind of a dummy gauge. Once warm it will always go the the same spot unless you overheat. I am not sure what you mean by the 3/8 line, but if you have no overheating issues I would assume the "gauge" is functioning normally.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:13 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jmurray87
Any pics of the car man? Must have been a good deal if you went all the way to L.A. to get it.
I just made the trek from San Antonio to Tampa to bring my GTO back this past weekend. I'm loving my '04 so far.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shackleford
I have a few questions, and I'll start with the most important. I picked up the car in L.A. and drove back to Houston. Wow.

This afternoon when I left work, I noticed that the temperature arm was at the bottom since it was cold. A few minutes later, it was at the 3/8 mark. Oddly enough, it was at the same 3/8 mark for the entire trip. What's going on here? There have been no indications of overheating.

Should I take this to an auto upholstery place to have them re-glue the soft trim piece back to the door? Or should I try it myself with some sort of adhesive?

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...psab876e1a.jpg

The left side of the panel snaps into the two pieces hanging down, but it looks like the right side doesn't reach into the holes on the side of the adjacent piece. Am I simply missing a part?

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...psd0b5df79.jpg

There's a leak in or around the windshield wiper fluid reservoir. I'll probably need to unplug the battery to locate the leak. Are there are security concerns with unplugging the battery?

I just got an 05, 84 k miles. New radiator and thermostat. Warms quickly also like you said and run in the same place. Totally normal and I like it very much. No waiting for heater or proper temps to drop the loud pedal hehe
Old 04-02-2013, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, it was a great deal. The timing was perfect. I sold my car Friday, flew to L.A. that night, and picked up the car Saturday morning.

I don't recognize the wheel brand. Does anyone know?

http://s111.photobucket.com/user/cam...5%20GTO?page=1

San Antonio to Tampa, eh? That was a bit of a drive, too. I think I have you beat though at 1564 miles. Haha.

Good to know that the temp gage issue is normal. This car is great. It's overall much nicer and more sophisticated than the Trans Am.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:55 PM
TECH Veteran

mine will sit at the line before 1/2 then itll go up to 1/2 and the fans will kick on and itll drop back to where it was. that happens when it sits. when driving it stays at the line before 1/2.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:53 PM
Teching In

I got my gto with 66149 miles i just hit 80000 now mines camed headers cai tuned catback
Old 04-02-2013, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

Seems to be very clean. Take good care of it. They will be worth a lot of money later. And Congrats
Old 04-03-2013, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

congrats man clean gto

Quick Reply: Just bought a 2005 GTO