Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Hotchkis vs Whiteline vs Pedders Swaybars

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 03:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hotchkis vs Whiteline vs Pedders Swaybars

Weight of 19mm Adjustable Rear Hotchkis Swaybar: 3.5lbs (Via High Performance Pontiac)
50%, 76%, 111%, 156% stiffer than stock.

Weight of 18mm Adjustable Rear Whiteline Swaybar: 4.2lbs (Whiteline website says 6.6lbs)
60% or 99% stiffer than stock.

Weight of 19mm Adjustable Rear Pedders Swaybar: ???
99% or 144% stiffer than stock.

Weight of 33.5mm Adjustable Front Hotchkis Swaybar: 13.5lbs (Via High Performance Pontiac)
37%, 49%, 63% stiffer than stock.

Weight of 30mm Adjustable Front Whiteline Swaybar: 21.5lbs (Whiteline website says 24.2)
15%, 32%, 50% stiffer than stock.

Weight of 30mm Adjustable Front Pedders Swaybar: 21.5lbs (Whiteline makes Pedders swaybars)
15%, 32%, 50% stiffer than stock.

Stock Front is 18.5 lbs and Rear is 3.5lbs according to High Performance Pontiac.

I took these weights on my bathroom scale, only the bar, no bushings or endlinks. Stand on scale, 186.0lbs, stand on scale with part and subtract 186.0. The scale is accurate as I stand on 3 scales, my gym, school gym, and on this one at home and they are within .5lbs if I don't eat or drink anything in between. I'm disappointed that I didn't go with the Hotchkis, even though they were within 1$ from Kollar Racing, for three reasons:

-It would have saved me between 9 and 14 lbs
-2 extra points of adjustability in the rear.
-The ability to go about 10-15% stiffer in the front and 50% stiffer in the rear compared to stock then the Whitelines.

High Performance Pontiac Article: http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...s/viewall.html

Whiteline Front bar: http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_..._number=BHF14Z

Whiteline Rear bar: http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_..._number=BHR50Z

Calculating Whiteline Sway Bar stiffness: http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/bulletins/BL-281.pdf

Calculating Pedders Sway Bar stiffness (same as whiteline): http://forums.peddersusa.com/showthread.php?t=911

Last edited by 409CISecondGen; 04-13-2013 at 02:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Stang2Goat (09-20-2023)
Old 04-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the time I purchased mine, Whiteline was cheaper by quite a bit and had additional options vs Hotchkis one-size-fits all size. Those options have since disappeared from their site (they used to have cheap non-adjustable bars and thicker x-cross bars). I surmise that Whiteline is heavier (at least in the fronts) because they use solid bars vs hollow bars for Hotchkis.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by steamwalker
At the time I purchased mine, Whiteline was cheaper by quite a bit and had additional options vs Hotchkis one-size-fits all size. Those options have since disappeared from their site (they used to have cheap non-adjustable bars and thicker x-cross bars). I surmise that Whiteline is heavier (at least in the fronts) because they use solid bars vs hollow bars for Hotchkis.
Yea the heavy duty swaybars are still for sale through Kollar Racing. I only considered the adjustable bars because I want to be able to tune over/understeer. Controlling body roll more should be done through spring rates, this approach also has the added benefit of controlling dive and squat.

I noticed in my research that Pedders uses thicker swaybars than Whiteline, but softer spring rates on their coilovers than BC. Definitely the opposite approach from me. Not worse, just the other school of thought.

Last edited by 409CISecondGen; 04-11-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

I did some comparisons between Whitline, Pedders, Hotchkis and SLP when I was searching for them and ended up going with Whiteline non-adjustable as they were significantly cheaper than the others and I don't track my car. I spent $285 shipped at the time for both bars which was more than $100 cheaper than Hotchkis. There were also several rare instances of Hotchkis bars snapping.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:44 PM
TECH Regular

There were also several rare instances of Hotchkis bars snapping.
It could more likely because they are hollow, or it could have been a problem with their manufacturing process. But Hotchkis has warrantied these instances no questions asked and I believe fixed their quality control issues. It was an across model issue, Evos, 350Zs, google "hotchkis swaybar broke".

I'm just dissapointed because I've been obsessive about cutting weight whenever possible and didn't realize the Hotchkis was lighter
Old 04-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

Understood. Worth mentioning though that Whiteline also has a 3-year warranty on their bars but I think warranties are true for all the bar manufacturers. Good luck on the installs, they are a real PITA.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:57 PM
TECH Regular

Understood. Worth mentioning though that Whiteline also has a 3-year warranty on their bars but I think warranties are true for all the bar manufacturers. Good luck on the installs, they are a real PITA.
I'm waiting to do everything, sways, coilovers and bushing at once, and getting both the cradles aligned. I might as well since you have to drop the subframes.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 409CISecondGen
I'm waiting to do everything, sways, coilovers and bushing at once, and getting both the cradles aligned. I might as well since you have to drop the subframes.

If you do do it your self, I was interested on how this job worked out, maybe some pictures along the way, it is ok if not though. It looks like it will be great when it is done.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:45 PM
12 Second Club

I have not gotten around to do my sway bar yet, it is a job to do though?
Old 04-12-2013, 10:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by joeyagls1
I have not gotten around to do my sway bar yet, it is a job to do though?
Yes it's nearly impossible to reach. You end up dropping the front and rear subframes.

I won't be doing the install, I did my last coilover install and it wasn't fun. I'm dropping it off at a shop lol.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:52 AM
Staging Lane

I did the rears, huge PITA with so little clearance. If I had to do it again, I'd remove the exhaust so I could drop the cradle lower. The instructions don't tell you that.

The front is a different beast and haven't tackled it yet. Bar is still sitting in my bedroom ready to go in. Disconnecting the transmission lines makes it seem pretty daunting for me.

Finished the rest of the front end though.

Last edited by steamwalker; 04-12-2013 at 10:58 AM. Reason: added pic
Old 04-12-2013, 11:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rears are a piece of cake. The fronts are the real PITA. It would be good if you read how to align the front cradle before you start. It isn't anything special but you have to make a simple tool to do it right. Hotchkis bars can have wear problems from unlubed bushings. The fronts have Zerk fittings to relube them. Prices have certainly gone up. I got a full set of Hotchkis bars for $280 on a group buy 6 years ago.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

Probably a piece of cake with the exhaust dropped. I've mentioned it before but Hotchkis instructions don't mention anything about dropping the exhaust yet their pictures in the instructions show the exhaust absent. I ran into the issue because when I dropped the rear cradle, I could only lower it about 2-3 inches before the axles were resting on top of the exhaust pipes. A stubby ratcheting wrench will also help.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

With that said, I've read reports of people being able to replace the rear swaybar without dropping the cradle. I tried but it did not work for me. Maybe if I had smaller hands.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's what I'd say. They had midget hands
Old 04-13-2013, 11:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 409CISecondGen
Yes it's nearly impossible to reach. You end up dropping the front and rear subframes.

I won't be doing the install, I did my last coilover install and it wasn't fun. I'm dropping it off at a shop lol.
Yeah the fun part is doing it your self, but I have little patience so, I will look out for a shop to do it as well! Thanks and good luck on yours 409.

Quick Reply: Hotchkis vs Whiteline vs Pedders Swaybars