Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Need help w/ worst exhaust ever

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 02:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help w/ worst exhaust ever

I have a 2006 and the only thing modded is the exhaust. The previous owner put an OBX catback that was really quiet and sounded like a V6.

My plan was to delete the mufflers, drive it for a week, and then decide if I wanted to buy spintechs. After deleting the mufflers its louder, but not as loud as I thought it would be and it sounds like a V6 w/ no muffler.....it in NO WAY sounds anything close to this:

Any ideas? I've never uploaded video before, but I'll try this weekend.

Last edited by pyro4ik; 05-17-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

Headers and Spintech pros in the 04 location = money.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

headers, catless mids and a better catback would make it sound a ton better
Old 05-19-2013, 11:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO just headers will give a nice performance bump and sound change. I guess "good" for a lot of people is obnoxiously look-at-me loud but good to me is the top performance for what you have done. Sound usually follows function nicely. If you want loud Spintechs are the ticket but I didn't get the best performance from them.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Spintech prostreets with an x pipe love the way it sounds.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

What did you get the best performance from svede
Old 05-20-2013, 08:07 AM
12 Second Club

I've had 6 exhausts on my car including Spins and a setup with 4 mufflers trying to quiet it down. I ended up actually researching exhaust design.

Everybody bolts up to the stock flanges and I found out that using that made the effective header collector too long. The 3" mids of LTs actually become an extension on the header collector. Collector length isn't something where bigger or longer is better but has a function. The X pipe also gets located back further than optimum using the standard connection points. You want it as close to the engine as possible.

I used 3" pipe with a header 3 bolt flange that gave a 18" long collector. I had 3 bolt flanges welded on to my SLP LTs. That tapered to a 2.5" Pypes X pipe assembly with the X just behind the trans brace. Those pipes extend to the '04 location where I used the Borla Pro XS.They are a straight thru design. They are one of the top flowing mufflers and gave a quieter, deeper, better sound than even the 4 mufflers. I gained over 30 ft/lb of torque down low from the reconfiguration and location of the parts.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:14 AM
12 Second Club

FWIW the forward pipe is all stainless and the tailpipes are aluminized steel. They'll only last me maybe 20 years. . . The entire Pypes-Borla setup including install was a little over $600
Old 05-20-2013, 09:00 AM
Teching In

my exhaust looks exactly like ^^^ except I did go with Spintech's instead of Borla and I have a split exhaust. Don't know what I gained because I didn't dyno it again until I got a cam but I can tell you I had a SOTP difference and my cam gained 70/58 so I'm sure my re-worked exhaust had something to do with it.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:23 PM
12 Second Club

I have the OBX cat-back along with the OBX longtubes and cat-less mid-pipes. While it is just a little bit too quiet for me personally on part throttle, it sounds great and decently loud on full throttle, and idle. I had stock mani's and muffler delete before and it was definitely louder than this setup, however the headers and cross pipe on the OBX makes for a totally different 'tone' and i dont mind it that its quieter. In fact, its nice to be able to hold a conversation in the car now without yelling!
Old 05-20-2013, 05:21 PM
12 Second Club

To help see the differences below is a stock '04 view. The X on catbacks is after the flanges where the pipes come together. Mine is right past the trans brace. The mid-pipes (collectors) on normal LT cars extend to the flanges and are well over 30" long, too long but GM didn't design it for LTs and collectors (and they had to get cats in there). Aftermarket vendors appeal to people that want to bolt on to an easy location not the best. If you figure the mid pipe plus the aftermarket catback the price can easily go over $1,000. The Pypes X cost combined all that

Old 05-20-2013, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

Ok just wondering... My spintechs are straight through I pieced my exhaust together and I am using the 3in center/center. I'm not going to lie its loud as hell tho
Old 05-30-2013, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

When i got my car it had straight pipes. Dear god that thing was annoying. Plus it was really hard to run around town and not get a thousand looks. I like the subtle speed so that cops dont bat an eye.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 04gto5.7
Ok just wondering... My spintechs are straight through I pieced my exhaust together and I am using the 3in center/center. I'm not going to lie its loud as hell tho
Just FYI Spintechs are not straight through.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by svede1212
I've had 6 exhausts on my car including Spins and a setup with 4 mufflers trying to quiet it down. I ended up actually researching exhaust design.

Everybody bolts up to the stock flanges and I found out that using that made the effective header collector too long. The 3" mids of LTs actually become an extension on the header collector. Collector length isn't something where bigger or longer is better but has a function. The X pipe also gets located back further than optimum using the standard connection points. You want it as close to the engine as possible.

I used 3" pipe with a header 3 bolt flange that gave a 18" long collector. I had 3 bolt flanges welded on to my SLP LTs. That tapered to a 2.5" Pypes X pipe assembly with the X just behind the trans brace. Those pipes extend to the '04 location where I used the Borla Pro XS.They are a straight thru design. They are one of the top flowing mufflers and gave a quieter, deeper, better sound than even the 4 mufflers. I gained over 30 ft/lb of torque down low from the reconfiguration and location of the parts.

Hey svede did you pick up 30ft/lb over stock catback with just the addition of this? Those are some pretty good gains for just exhaust and I'm in the market for one right now. I'm more worried about performance than sound but I'm still curious to how your setup sounds. Any sound clips of it?
Old 06-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Teching In

also is that the same x pipe as this one?

http://www.jegs.com/i/PYPES/958/XVF1...ductId=1159309

My headers already came with flanges on them so this would be super easy for me to duplicate.

Quick Reply: Need help w/ worst exhaust ever