Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Oil leaking prior to start up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 07:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leaking prior to start up?

Long story short as possible, this is an LQ4 conversion into a Ford using the GTO pan. I just got the engine installed with a nicely prepped and proper torqued oil pan with no cracks etc.

I added 6 quarts and everything was looking good, 1/2 way up on the dipstick etc. This engine isn't ready to run yet (not wired) so it never has even been fired up with this pan installed. I just added the oil through the passenger side valve cover.

I went out to the garage last night and honestly there is at least 1 quart or more has leaked out onto the floor............ I jacked it up and was looking and it, and its hard to tell but the bottom of the pan is 100% bone dry, it looks like its leaking out where the normal location for the oil would be for a regular pan. (driver side rear) Where the 2 plugs are located at the top of the pan. the boss thing that bolts up to the actual pan. That make sense?

Anyway I'll look at it alot better tonight but I figured I'd ask you guys first. Thanks!
Old 06-21-2013, 06:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: So if anyone else has this problem, here's the answer. The bypass plugs are tight but there are 2 bolt holes that the block off would bolt to that are not blind holes, they go all the way through into the pan itself........ so I put 2 bolts in and the mega leak stopped

I robbed a gasket from my C5 pan and the block off that has the oil temp sensor in it as well but I think I'll just make a flat plate, it looks better.

Quick Reply: Oil leaking prior to start up?