Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Header Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Install

Finally installed my headers after having them sit in my garage for a year. Everything went smoothly at first I took out the steering rack the stock manifolds within an hour. I got the headers and mid pipes in no problems but i could not get the rack back in and attached to the steering colum. i played with the steering rack for almost 4 hours before i got everything connected. Anybody else have a problem attaching the steerling colum back to the rack??
Old 06-24-2013, 12:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of people run into that issue. I used a couple prybars to spread the shaft a bit so it would slide on. There is a sticky on ls1gto that explains another way using two nuts and a bolt to spread it.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, that was the worst part, steering rack and power steering lines, I had to disconnect them, they are the worse to put back on or start the thread five and half hour job for me. Passenger side took 30 minutes, rest was driver side. I recently did a header job on a 10' camaro did it in an hour because it did not involve removing non of that stuff.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah it sucks but it took me about 45 min. with a pry bar. The hardest part for me was the power steering lines were seized to the nut and I had to cut the return line and put in a piece of rubber hose.

Quick Reply: Header Install