Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

My GTO

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My GTO

Jumped from the LS4 front drive to this beauty here. Picked it up last Thursday with 7500 miles on the odometer.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ahh sexy, I miss my GTO and would like to be back in one as a dd someday.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

It just drives, rides, and handles so much better than the Monte. With the added bonus of having a crap ton more grunt on tap.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:06 PM
TECH Regular

now thats a nice GTO, and 7500 miles you cant go wrong there. make sure you address the regular GTO issues. especially the fuel rail covers! (im sure you know all about it)
Old 10-22-2013, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default fuel rails

I just moved from a GXP to a 2005 GTO. What is the story about the fuel rails ? I thought all I had to address is the suspension?
Attached Thumbnails My GTO-1014131540_0001-1-.jpg  
Old 10-22-2013, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

The rail covers on these cars seem to rub on the fuel lines. So easiest thing to do is just pop the covers off and roll without them.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:55 PM
TECH Regular

707 nice Goat!

this is what i got off the pontiac forum. I havent owned a GTO but i think this covers all the issues (i heard that wire harness is a big one shorting out something so take a look should be easy to see):

Most common issues with less miles:

Wire harness can rub on metal support behind glove box. Do a search for more information.

Fuel line could rub on fuel rail cover near drivers rear of engine. Will burn car to the ground if it does rub a hole in the line.

Radius Rod bushings should be replaced as OEM bushing were not the best.

Radiator tank will leak at some time

Battery drain issues if car is stored for 2-3 weeks without running.

Rear spring sag causing improper tire wear.

Strut rub causing improper tire wear.

Leather on top of rear seats gets hard if not treated, seams will split or seperate.

Steering wheel spokes will delaminate and look bad.

Head Liner could sag if its a southern state car
Old 10-23-2013, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red06SS
It just drives, rides, and handles so much better than the Monte. With the added bonus of having a crap ton more grunt on tap.
Thats the biggest thing I miss. The comfort. Thing drove like a dream with the IRS. I feel like it accomodated 4 people better than my IS300 does.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Jumped from the LS4 front drive to this beauty here. Picked it up last Thursday with 7500 miles on the odometer.

Did you get this GTO from Graham, Texas?
Old 10-23-2013, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sick_tight
707 nice Goat!

this is what i got off the pontiac forum. I havent owned a GTO but i think this covers all the issues (i heard that wire harness is a big one shorting out something so take a look should be easy to see):

Most common issues with less miles:

Wire harness can rub on metal support behind glove box. Do a search for more information.

Fuel line could rub on fuel rail cover near drivers rear of engine. Will burn car to the ground if it does rub a hole in the line.

Radius Rod bushings should be replaced as OEM bushing were not the best.

Radiator tank will leak at some time

Battery drain issues if car is stored for 2-3 weeks without running.

Rear spring sag causing improper tire wear.

Strut rub causing improper tire wear.

Leather on top of rear seats gets hard if not treated, seams will split or seperate.

Steering wheel spokes will delaminate and look bad.

Head Liner could sag if its a southern state car

I had the radiator issue happen to me already. Just got one online for $129 and got it replaced in like 1 hr. You dont need to take the front buymper off as some might like to tell you. (FYI) ....havent experience anything else on this list
Old 10-23-2013, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

Nice PBM. Don't forget about the ign cylinder. Buy the replacement updated part (92234035), as the stock one will wear down and leave you stranded somewhere in the heat.

Last edited by bnvus; 10-23-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by IZRED
Did you get this GTO from Graham, Texas?
Massachusetts actually.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Congrats!

I bought my first GTO with 7,400 miles as well, keep her clean not too many nice GTOs around.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

good job with you guys finding these low mileage GTOs.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:40 AM
Launching!

Where the hell do you manage to find one with 7500 on the clock,really ? lol.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Massachusetts actually.
Wow. That's really coincidental. There's a black 2006 GTO in Texas with right under 7,500 miles.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:59 AM
Launching!

What a find! very good looking car. ANy plans other than just driving it?
Old 10-24-2013, 07:30 AM
On The Tree

I may and or may not take it to the track Friday night. Last night the track will be open for the season. Maybe make a few passes, not romp on it too hard or anything.

At the moment it's entirely up in the air as to what I'll do with it. The previous owner bought the car new, garaged it, and only drove it over the summer, and for only about 1000 miles a season. The car never saw rain. He actually had to drive it home from the dealership while in the middle of trading it in because he thought it might rain.

What's really odd, is that I had been looking at purchasing a 2011 Caprice PPV, brand new left over. I went over this thing every which way, but, at the last moment decided not to purchase. Two days later, the guy comes in, buys the Caprice and the GTO is his trade in. Not one to really buy into fate, but knowing that stuff like that just doesn't happen, I had my sales guy throw a plate on and we went for a spin. Thought about it for the night, and about 9pm told him yeah, sign me up. And now I have a 2006 GTO.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:32 AM
Launching!

Cool

I may and or may not take it to the track Friday night. Last night the track will be open for the season. Maybe make a few passes, not romp on it too hard or anything.

At the moment it's entirely up in the air as to what I'll do with it. The previous owner bought the car new, garaged it, and only drove it over the summer, and for only about 1000 miles a season. The car never saw rain. He actually had to drive it home from the dealership while in the middle of trading it in because he thought it might rain.

What's really odd, is that I had been looking at purchasing a 2011 Caprice PPV, brand new left over. I went over this thing every which way, but, at the last moment decided not to purchase. Two days later, the guy comes in, buys the Caprice and the GTO is his trade in. Not one to really buy into fate, but knowing that stuff like that just doesn't happen, I had my sales guy throw a plate on and we went for a spin. Thought about it for the night, and about 9pm told him yeah, sign me up. And now I have a 2006 GTO.

Classic love story
Old 10-27-2013, 09:21 AM
Teching In

You will be glad you went with the GTO and not the Caprice

Quick Reply: My GTO