Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Condenser part problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Condenser part problem

I bought a condenser online, but the shop that I took it to said that it wouldn't fit. He told me that it needs to be for a "captured O-ring." It was either too big or too small; I don't recall which. I was told by another parts website to get the OEM replacement number which is 92148168. According to my documentation, the part I ordered matches the replacement number. The manufacturer is DPI and their part number is 3552. Other websites are selling the part with the matching numbers.

What the hell is the problem?
Old 12-15-2013, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

Well, I ordered another one. Hopefully, this one will work.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Your shop doesn't know what they are talking about. That is the correct part number and I installed in to my 2006 GTO without any problems at all.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jontall
Your shop doesn't know what they are talking about. That is the correct part number and I installed in to my 2006 GTO without any problems at all.
The DPI box has CN 35525 PFC.

Oh, I see. I know it's the correct OEM replacement number. Is it the right DPI part number? The new one came in the mail, and it's PBI model PC3552P. They look identical except that the new one has an O-ring on it, but it's certainly possible that they didn't put the other O-ring back on the DPI.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

3552 is the correct DPI part number and it doesn't come with the O-rings. You should have picked up an A/C O-Ring and Gasket Seal Kit for GM cars from Rockauto or any retail auto parts store; they are about $13 for all the seals. Change the accumulator too and for reference the inlet goes on the condenser line, outlet to the hard line that runs back to the firewall.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

3552 is the correct DPI part number and it doesn't come with the O-rings. You should have picked up an A/C O-Ring and Gasket Seal Kit for GM cars from Rockauto or any retail auto parts store; they are about $13 for all the seals. Change the accumulator too and for reference the inlet goes on the condenser line, outlet to the hard line that runs back to the firewall.
Do you know anything about the PBI model PC3552P? I do see an O-ring on the piece that attaches to the accumulator/receiver.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shackleford
Do you know anything about the PBI model PC3552P? I do see an O-ring on the piece that attaches to the accumulator/receiver.
I don't know anything about the PBI model... All I know is: This is a very simple job to do. I replaced mine in 15 minutes and everything fit perfectly. You need to find a different shop if you can't do the job yourself, because the shop that you have now sucks.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

I don't know anything about the PBI model... All I know is: This is a very simple job to do. I replaced mine in 15 minutes and everything fit perfectly. You need to find a different shop if you can't do the job yourself, because the shop that you have now sucks.
At this shop the labor is $230 and the refrigerant is another $35. I'm a bit surprised. The shop has good reviews online and is always pretty busy. I haven't taken a look at it myself, but do I need to remove fan shroud/radiator to get to the condenser?
Old 12-18-2013, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Follow me: Take out the 5 push clips that hold the shroud on. You'll see 2 "S" type clips on top of each end of the radiator, remove them. Gently lift the radiator up until the rubber doughnuts are out and you can lean it towards the motor. Reach down with a wrench and unscrew the hard lines to the accumulator on both sides, then take the nut off that holds the upper AC line to the condenser and loosen the screw that holds the accumulator and lift it out of its bracket. Now you can push down on the 2 clips that hold the condenser to the radiator and lift it out. Reverse to assemble and be very gentle with everything. Look at the pictures.

Attached Thumbnails Condenser part problem-1.jpg   Condenser part problem-2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Condenser part problem