Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Belt Slip

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt Slip

Hey guys, I snapped a belt on my 6.0 gto the other day. Tensioner seemed ok but when I put a new belt on It squealed so bad it made my ears ring. I ran at idle for a bit and it started to sound better. I didn't make it down the street before it threw again. All I can thing of is either replace the tensioner or pulley out of alignment. Any other thoughts? I can't find a thread that answers it. Thanks guys
Old 02-12-2014, 12:21 PM
Launching!

Not sure if it's a common problem but my 05 goat I had to change the tensioner, changed the belt first because of the squeal but ended up being the tensioner, have you tried pulling on the belt to see if the tensioner feels loose or weak?
Old 02-12-2014, 12:31 PM

Yeah the tensioner isn't loose. Belt seems tight. If I push on the tensioner really hard it moves. I think that's the problem. Other things about the belt I've found on her with these usually end up being the tensioner so I'll start there. Thanks
Old 02-13-2014, 10:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Lions_moto
Yeah the tensioner isn't loose. Belt seems tight. If I push on the tensioner really hard it moves. I think that's the problem. Other things about the belt I've found on her with these usually end up being the tensioner so I'll start there. Thanks
Yea if I remember correctly it was only like 15 dollars for the tensioner... Mine felt tight aswell but pushing it kinda hard it did move, Just be sure that's where the sound is coming from, way I found out is I used a funnel to my ear to isolate where the sound came from hahahaha worked though
Old 02-13-2014, 02:18 PM

Hahahaha that's a good idea

Quick Reply: Belt Slip