Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

04 GTO Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 04 GTO Issue

Again this is not my car, I have another friend with a 04 GTO which I think is a "gremlin"! The problem is that 1. The port where you plug in a scanner doesnt work. 2. When the car was purchased, 3 relays were burnt out. 3. The gauge cluster goes haywire. When you press the gas, the tach jumps up and down as if your pressing the gas at idle.

I have been reading were their was a high failure rate for the gauge cluster on this model. We checked every single fuse, replace the pcm (because I thought it had a burnt out driver) and traced every ground to make sure everything had a good connection. The only weird thing I really noticed was when we removed the gauge cluster their was a stamp date on back of the cluster that said "02/11". To me that means it has been replaced before. I read of replacing the stepper motor that works with the gauge cluster, but I dont want to be just throwing parts at it !

I am all out of options here. By no means am I a mechanic, but I dont know what else to do except advise my friend to take it to the dealership because of the TSP. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 03-11-2014, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

check the bcm wires behind the glove box. known problem is for them to get chaffed by the metal and can cause all kinds of gremlins.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tom's2005gto
check the bcm wires behind the glove box. known problem is for them to get chaffed by the metal and can cause all kinds of gremlins.
Very possible that this is the cause.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great! Never thought of that! What repair usually fixes that? New wires, connectors etc?
Old 03-12-2014, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SwampWS6
Great! Never thought of that! What repair usually fixes that? New wires, connectors etc?
repair damaged wire(s) and protect from happening again. If if is severe, it may have caused internal damage to the bcm.

Quick Reply: 04 GTO Issue