Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

My First Post, But What A Post It Is

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 02:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First Post, But What A Post It Is

I own a 2004 GTO with only 12,000 miles on the clock. To make the story short, the bottom hose clamp [a piece of Chinese junk] from AutoZone, snapped opened, and off came the bottom radiator hose. I could not have driven too far with this going on, I suppose. So I parked the car and walked to of all things, AZ. There I purchased yet another wonderful hose clamp and a gallon of Dexcool.
Put the car back together, used the entire gallon of Dexcool, plus almost two gallons of water that I kept in the trunk.

Now I am very worried about possible engine damage. I have just pressure-tested the cooling system, and when pumped to 17lbs, the water pump begins to leak fron the hidden weep hole. It is not made to run dry, as we all know.

In the collective experience of this group, what thoughts do you have concerning other possible damage, or is this engine tougher that I think?

I would love to hold AZ responsible, but that is probably just an unobtainable fantasy.

Thank you
Old 03-16-2014, 07:55 PM
Teching In

Anyone home?

I can hear you breathing.

Anyone of you LS1 experts feel that a Lisle Combustion Leak Detector might ease this mystery?
It might be the simplest method of taking warpage out of the list of possible issues.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

do a pressure test. Any excessive bubbling in the coolant? Any water in the oil? Temp gauge reading normal?

All ok = drive it.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:12 AM
Teching In

A new GM pump will be ordered from Rock Auto tomorrow.
New hoses are on their way.
Better clamps need to be purchased at a speed shop on Long Island.
Oil will be changed when the weather warms near the weeks end.
Testing kit for exhaust gasses in coolant will be gotten tomorrow.

Temperature on the hidden display read up to 220 degrees during a short drive today. Fans would instantly bring it down to 190ish. Bubbles in coolant? Don't as yet know. Water in oil. We shall see.

We are getting there.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like you did all the right things before a head gasket or something is fried.

I totally screwed up with a Lt1 Z28 back in 90's, it was company reimubursed vehicle, they paid the note, gas, etc. Was at a customer in Fresno and just thought what the heck, will get the oil changed before I make a 3 hour drive home....well about 20 mins from my house my oil pressure gauge freaks out and I slowly drive home the 20 mins and when I got to driveway I knew something was totally fukd up. There was oil sprayed all on the back of car, oil stick was empty, service light was stuck on, and car didn't run worth a **** even after putting in oil. Took to a shop and they saw the oil change bolt was cross threaded in, filter was loose and sadly head gasket was blown, I'm sure sensors were fried due to heat. I can still remember those ****** at that Jiffy Lube clowning around the car. Amazingly the temp gauge on that car showed normal temp even with the dang engine red hot and out of oil. I traded it in the following week.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:33 PM
Teching In

If you only knew what Sears Auto Service did to my '83 Firebird when I purchased tires.
If you only knew what Pep Boys did to my last GTO [it later drowned in the hurricane], when I purchased tires.

You see a theme here?
My sinuses are bad and there is nothing to take for them that won't create its own problems, so I did not go out of the house to purchase the exhaust gas in coolant tester. Can't wait to see what it shows. And can't wait to put on a few miles to see if the oil turns to whipped cream or stays nice.
BTW, I need to see why this nice website does not email me when there is a reply to my post.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:45 PM
Teching In

I'm baaaaaaaaaack.

Installed the new Canadian-made AC Delco water pump, new radiator hoses and non-China clamps, Dexcool, water, and WaterWetter.
My 40-year-old Stant pressure tester leaks down about one pound every minute after pumped up to 15 pounds. Don't know what this means.
The Lisle brand exhaust gas-in-coolant tester shows NO gases in coolant!!!!!!!!!!!!
The engine oil shows no whipped cream on dipstick or filler cap.
Tail pipe has plain water dripping from it for first minute or two after a COLD start-up.
This seems to be the normal thing.
I occasionally smell it, but do know that coolant smell does not go away immediately after a repair.
I have a new compression gauge and a [very necessary] spark plug boot puller.
Will use these items in a few days, as weather will not be so damn cold by then.

I need to do the tests, because I am misplacing about 1/2 cup of coolant each day.
If two adjacent cylinders have lost compression, or a plug or two has coolant residue, well, I will let you know.

But if you have any thoughts, just yell.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep us informed. Interested to see the outcome. Hoping for the best.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:13 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably have a leak at the radiator.
The plastic ends of the stock radiator like to crack, usually.causing a small hard to find leak
Old 03-31-2014, 11:37 AM
Teching In

The weather has been nothing but miserable, so tinkering with the GTO has been sporatic.
I brought the antique Stant pressure tester into the house and did a bit of work on it. Now it leaks down much, much slower.
A few days ago, I replaced the pressure cap with the original one. Why? Because its vacuum release valve is shot, and when the engine cools, it makes the hoses collapse.
So guess what? A full day after driving the car, the hoses were still collapsed. This must mean that the engine, when cold, has good seals between block and heads.
But there still is a smell, sort of like Boston Market's roasted chicken. I will go out later today and check coolant level.
Also, if I can manage to pull off the plug wires, which seem to almost be glued-down, I will do a compression test.

Thank You all.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Default I Thought Its Time To Bring This Thread Back From The Dead

And time to just say hello, again.
The instant loss of coolant, I eventually discovered, cooked the crossover pipe gaskets. Had to get a UV light and yellow goggles to find the leaks. Even this method took days to find the problem. But at least it worked.
The engine now uses only a few spoons-full of coolant per month. I have an all-alluminum radiator, which will go in next Spring.

On a different note, I was permanently banned from LS1GTO for not putting up with one moderator totally editing every new post I entered. She thought it was funny.

I believe that my from-the-start honesty with the members of LS1TECH is the right thing to do. I am never comfortable with being dishonest, even with strangers on the internet.

BTW, thanks for your help with the leak.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

good to see things worked out.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
good to see things worked out.
Agreed.

Re ls1gto.com Sorry about your troubles. Did not read the post or posts in question but I only briefly visit the site now.

Some solid folks still there. I hope you can still Search the archives even if not a member.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the cheers over my engine problem getting resolved.

As far as my expulsion from that group goes, there is no more search, no going back more than three pages in any section, no contacting other members, no contacting members with 4-sale ads. You get the picture.

Quick Reply: My First Post, But What A Post It Is