Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Exhaust changes...Race Bullets

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 07:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Exhaust changes...Race Bullets

So when I bought my GTO last year it had stock manifolds, stock cats, X pipe welded in a mufflers were deleted. It sounded good enough for me to leave it alone for a year. Well sunday while replacing all the rear bushings, I decided to gut my cats. Needless to say the car is now obnoxiously loud and sloppy sounding. No nice sound really at all. Just loud, bellering screaming like a diesel with 5" exhaust. I'm trying to get away cheap as I will be doing longtubes and complete change of exhaust in the future. So I have ordered a pair of race bullets to try to refine the exhaust note a little bit. Has anyone else ran race bullets on their goat with a X pipe, catless and stock manifolds. I had longtubes, O/R Y and race bullet on my 6.0 silverado and it was awesome but I'm afraid the bullets won't make enough of a difference to be worth it. I found a few videos of alike setups but most everyone has longtubes so I don't knw how different that will make it... thoughts?
Old 06-03-2014, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

It'll help some but not a lot. If you want a lot of the rasp and drone gone I'd suggest high flow cats in your next setup. on avg cats only lose about 5hp
Old 06-06-2014, 01:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My set up is long tubes with catless mids, x pipe in place of the stock resonator and 3" magnaflow bullet style resonators as mufflers pretty much same thing is bullets straight through design... It's still pretty loud but it takes away a lot of the rasp being at the end of the exhaust, one thing I like is the fact that the goats came with the flanges so I can slap the stockers back on when I want to quiet it down... Which sounds like crap lol but it's nice and quiet surprisingly, I'll check if I have a vid to post up...
Old 06-06-2014, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dynomax Ultra Flo Round mufflers would be better. Their sound is probably mid way between race bullets, and full size Ultra Flo oval mufflers... Leaning towards the louder side. Comparable to Borla S-Type "Stinger" mufflers.

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/ultr...round-mufflers

Old 06-12-2014, 01:26 PM
TECH Resident

I ordered the bullets and installed them in the 04 location before the axle. Here's a video clip. The clip has some rougher noise in it compared to how it sounds in person. Not nearly as refined as I'd like but it'll do for a while.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

Several people said it sounds like a diesel haha
Old 06-12-2014, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by baSICK5.0
Several people said it sounds like a diesel haha
Several people are right. At idle the sound definitely has a diesel quality to it.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 218 Likes on 136 Posts

Must cars will sound like **** without mufflers and cats. Go with a corsa or borla mufflers. Will make it sound much better.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:23 AM
12 Second Club

My thought is why do people gut cats? A piece of pipe is better if you want to go catless. You just insert turbulence into the exhaust stream

Quick Reply: Exhaust changes...Race Bullets