Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Spintech axle back, kooks afterburners, or OBX cat back?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spintech axle back, kooks afterburners, or OBX cat back?

I already have pacesetter long tubes, and catless mid pipes.... looking for a lot more tone and a bit more noise outta the old girl.

Wondering what your guys opinions are... I know the obx is hated over at ls1gto. But I just bought a house and I have other needs so 1200 on an exhaust isn't feasible to me.

I wanted a bassani but I was afraid that it would be too quiet.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

Corsa Sport, you won't be sorry...but your neighbors will!!!!
Old 07-01-2014, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

I have Spintech and love how the car sounds. I also have JBA Shorties and Mids.

A friend of mine had OBX on his and it sounded really good too. I got videos of both if you need them
Old 07-03-2014, 08:25 AM
Staging Lane

The spintech sounds nice if you like the sort of sound. More on the raspy side for my taste. I've had the Kooks Afterburners. Nice and loud with a great quality of sound but I had serious issues with the drone on an otherwise stock exhaust. Have not heard an OBX catback yet.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The obx catback is hated for good reason, it's a pile of ****. I had one come through last year and the welds looked like a 3 year old did them. The tubing was dented from being thrown around and the slip joints were out of round, preventing the thing from assembling.

The sellers didn't speak Engrish.. it was a nightmare.

The only other exhaust I'd stay away from is the kooks 3 inch, it's pretty and sounds good, but there are way too many bends in it and it's fit is horrible.

All the other readily available kits have their pros n cons but are better fitting and engineered than the two I mention.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:57 PM
Teching In

I have had nothing but good luck with OBX long tubes (2 sets 2 different cars) people will talk sh*t but they fit very well. The welds are great and they are reasonably priced. Just don't mention it on LS1GTO.com those guys will go nuts about stolen designs but, I have never seen another header that is bent the same as they are....not saying it isn't true I just have never seen it proven. I put some on a drift car that keep tearing through headers and the customer didn't want to spend high dollar on more. Still has them and they are working fine after 2+ years. With that said I have heard good things about the catback but have never seen or used one.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This is a catback thread... The obx headers are better than their catback from what I've seen. Keep in mind, there isn't much room for error building headers or they won't fit the car. I'm sure they spend more time with quality control there.

As for ls1gto website, there are a good amount of ******** on there, no doubt. Between the mods and the handful of delicate members, they always stir **** up.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Corsa is on of the best sound. But it's pricey just for sound. Spintech also sounds good. I have the pro streets welded on the stock catback, with a h-pipe in place of the resonator. Oh, and kooks headers.

Quick Reply: Spintech axle back, kooks afterburners, or OBX cat back?