Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

GTO buyers guide

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default GTO buyers guide

whats up guys its been awhile since ive been on here. currently in a 14 GT and i like it, but i want to downsize and get something im more used to and has a bigger aftermarket other than just FI. ive had camaros and trans ams but never a goat so figured id try one out, currently looking at a silver 2005 goat with 77k miles, auto. any concerns or thoughts on these vehicles? i know the LS motor well just not the frame of the GTO. will be a DD, street car, plans would be head porting, stall, typical bolt ons and a mild cam swap. what is the gear ratio in the rear on these? is it the same 2.73 found on auto camaros that creates that dead zone? thx in advance
Old 08-28-2014, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rear Ratio: 3.46 stock on all auto or 6 speeds from 2004 to 2006
Old 08-28-2014, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

at 77k miles what needs to be looked at/watched out for?

is the rear as weak as a 4th gens?
Old 08-29-2014, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by usnfenix
at 77k miles what needs to be looked at/watched out for?

is the rear as weak as a 4th gens?
Really hard to guess on your car, depends on how the car was treated. I know of one 2004 GTO that has 286,000 miles on it and a rod finally when threw the block. The rear end was still going. I have also heard of others having issues in 20-30k range.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

if it hasnt been done be ready to spend some money on upgrading its suspension.

they tend to wear out on these cars.

i still like mine a lot and if i didnt want something new id mod the **** out of it.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:50 PM
Launching!

I've been an owner since 09. Love these cars, won't be disappointed if you pick one up.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

i switched to one back in may and love the car previous owner put a few performance goodies in like longtubes and a borla exhaust.

be aware of rearend sag the coils tend to give out, plan on lowering mine when the time comes which for the rear wont really be lowering as much.

i hear people talk about the suspension needing to be replaced but never hear a why, i know they wheel hop really bad if you intend on hitting the track at all.

but its a fun daily driver and despite its age really felt like an upgrade when i got rid of my silverado for it (LT extended cab 05 ss clone)
Old 10-03-2014, 10:15 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
i hear people talk about the suspension needing to be replaced but never hear a why, i know they wheel hop really bad if you intend on hitting the track at all.
It's mostly just due to the radius arm bushings and strut mounts (and the aforementioned spring sag). Just do a search on YouTube and you'll see the movement in said bushings.

As for rear end, axle hop is what kills them. The affordable and quick solution is a set of drag bags inserted into the springs. It's also not so much the center section that breaks; rather, it's the axles themselves.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

The rear is fine for regular street use. As mentioned, axle hop will eat them up in a hurry. Suspension upgrade is probably not required, but these cars will handle quite well with a few suspension parts and good rubber. My Pedders track II was, dollar for dollar, the best mod I ever made to my GTO. Made it a whole 'nother car.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:22 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SJFGTO
The rear is fine for regular street use. As mentioned, axle hop will eat them up in a hurry. Suspension upgrade is probably not required, but these cars will handle quite well with a few suspension parts and good rubber. My Pedders track II was, dollar for dollar, the best mod I ever made to my GTO. Made it a whole 'nother car.
Isnt pedders out of business? I just got back into another GTO and looking to make some upgrades to the suspension after all my other parts are installed
Old 10-07-2014, 11:14 AM
Teching In

lovells for suspension, and whiteline. You can't go wrong.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Nev3rL8
lovells for suspension, and whiteline. You can't go wrong.
going to look into it because I cant stand the body roll and the way the car handles at higher speeds, not to mention I rolled the fenders and sill hit on bumpy roads
Old 10-13-2014, 12:52 AM
Teching In

I have a full lovells elimantor kit stuts shocks and springs with whiteline strut top bushings, radius rods, and x member bushings, if you are interested. Like new, have receipts from earlier this year. Sold the car.

Quick Reply: GTO buyers guide