Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

LS2 to LQ9 swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 05:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LS2 to LQ9 swap

Well long story short my brother in laws 2006 GTO developed a rod knock. He found an LQ9 with a 24x reluctor crank. My question is what else do i need for it to bolt on to the GTO.

I apologize for being so vague but would like to know what esle i would need for it to bolt on .

Thank you
Old 09-04-2014, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

U will hve to change to a 58x reluctor wheel. They make a box to convert it but I heard it doesn't work well. I'm having to do the same thing. It's like $50 for the wheel and a machine shop will do it for a couple of hundred $. If the motor doesn't hve arp rod bolt I would change them and bearing to be safe
Old 09-04-2014, 05:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Chillipepper/gto
U will hve to change to a 58x reluctor wheel. They make a box to convert it but I heard it doesn't work well. I'm having to do the same thing. It's like $50 for the wheel and a machine shop will do it for a couple of hundred $. If the motor doesn't hve arp rod bolt I would change them and bearing to be safe
I though the LS2 on the GTO came with a 24x reluctor wheel?

The motor we got is an LQ9 built to LS3 specs with ARP bolts on the crank and rods.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lilpb1
I though the LS2 on the GTO came with a 24x reluctor wheel?

The motor we got is an LQ9 built to LS3 specs with ARP bolts on the crank and rods.
I'm pretty sure they do have 24x reluctors.

Also, the knock sensors on LQ's are on the valley pan cover. I don't think LQ cover will clear the ls2 intake, so you'll have to drill and tap the block for them..
Old 09-04-2014, 08:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Why not just replace the rod bearings in the current engine as apposed to dropping a 100lb extra piece of iron on the front of the car?
Old 09-04-2014, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by redtan
Why not just replace the rod bearings in the current engine as apposed to dropping a 100lb extra piece of iron on the front of the car?
Good question same thing i said but he had already bought the LQ9. Plus i can always use the LS2 on my car so it will work out in both our favors.

By any chance do you know where the knock sensor is suppose to be on the LQ?
Old 09-04-2014, 09:11 PM
9 Second Club

Good lord. All LS2's from all three years the GTO was produced used a 24x reluctor.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lilpb1
By any chance do you know where the knock sensor is suppose to be on the LQ?
The LS2 Knock sensors are on the side of the block.

Gen III engines have them on the valley pan cover.

They are under those black plugs
Old 09-05-2014, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tim94gt
The LS2 Knock sensors are on the side of the block.

Gen III engines have them on the valley pan cover.

They are under those black plugs
So i would have to drill and tap the side holes on the LQ9 for the knock sensor to bolt on?
Old 09-06-2014, 03:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

That's correct.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by redtan
That's correct.
got it thanks alot for the help.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:05 AM
11 Second Club

You need to drill and tap the block for the alternator bracket also. I have done the swap. Also some GTO's that were made in later 06 did come with a 58x reluctor wheel. Don't forget to plug up the hole in the block for the oil dipstick tube since the gto has it go directly in the pan. I only have 40 miles maybe on my LQ9 build but I am making some really serious power and haven't even sprayed it yet. I've had as low as 10.8x's and still dialing it all in. Have any questions on what works or what doesn't feel free to shoot me a pm.
The following users liked this post:
Pontiac Spazz (12-22-2019)
Old 11-04-2014, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Canada
You need to drill and tap the block for the alternator bracket also. I have done the swap. Also some GTO's that were made in later 06 did come with a 58x reluctor wheel. Don't forget to plug up the hole in the block for the oil dipstick tube since the gto has it go directly in the pan. I only have 40 miles maybe on my LQ9 build but I am making some really serious power and haven't even sprayed it yet. I've had as low as 10.8x's and still dialing it all in. Have any questions on what works or what doesn't feel free to shoot me a pm.
Canada is rite for both I like to add for the alternator bracket what I did was to make a filler block out of a flat bar in which I drilled and tap for same thread count and diameter as other alternator bracket bolts and then welded to the front of the block using alternator bracket and the other two available side bolt holes, these way using the bracket to hold the threaded filler block in place to be welded using a short bolt to hold the filler block perfectly square in place with a bolt then weld it.

Use Hobart or Lincoln high quality welding rods for these purpose available at your local welding supply (be sure to get the expensive rods) as to not crack the block AND IS PERFECTLY SAFE.

The rite welding rods price is north of $15. per pound btw but all you need is one free sample to do the job.

Be sure the bolt to use is correct length as to not bottom out.

Else is best to weld oil dip stick hole plug in place cause in my case at first would pop rite out and oil headers.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Canada
Do you have proof?

Because otherwise, no they didn't.

Quick Reply: LS2 to LQ9 swap