Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

04 gto front suspension rattle help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 08:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 gto front suspension rattle help.

Just picked the car up about 3 months ago and it was perfectly fine, but over time it developed the chingy sounding rattle when you hit even a small bump. It almost just sounds kind of like a bolt came loose and a washer is rattleing around. It doesnt matter which side i hit a bump with, its just as loud either way.

Not sure if it matters, but i was told told check the skid plate, so i completely removed it to be sure, but its just gotten worse (not immediately. After removing it though). What should i look for? If its suspension related, is there anything i can do to just get rid of the noise for now? The car is about to get put away for winter anyway, but due to my wifes daily blowing the trans, i have to drive it and am just tired of hearing it.

Thanks guys
Old 10-18-2014, 11:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pontiacfreak142
Just picked the car up about 3 months ago and it was perfectly fine, but over time it developed the chingy sounding rattle when you hit even a small bump. It almost just sounds kind of like a bolt came loose and a washer is rattleing around. It doesnt matter which side i hit a bump with, its just as loud either way.

Not sure if it matters, but i was told told check the skid plate, so i completely removed it to be sure, but its just gotten worse (not immediately. After removing it though). What should i look for? If its suspension related, is there anything i can do to just get rid of the noise for now? The car is about to get put away for winter anyway, but due to my wifes daily blowing the trans, i have to drive it and am just tired of hearing it.

Thanks guys

Chingy sound? I am in the area, If you wanted a 2nd opinion I could take a listen, try and shake down everything and see if everything is solid? that's where I would start..
Old 10-18-2014, 01:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dansolow
Chingy sound? I am in the area, If you wanted a 2nd opinion I could take a listen, try and shake down everything and see if everything is solid? that's where I would start..
Yea, kind of like a loose washer rattling around. You can hear it whenever your on anything but smooth road. Even tiny bumps cause it to rattle. I would really appreciate that
Old 10-20-2014, 08:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pontiacfreak142
Yea, kind of like a loose washer rattling around. You can hear it whenever your on anything but smooth road. Even tiny bumps cause it to rattle. I would really appreciate that

Ever since I read this the other day, my passenger front suspension is making some noises too lol

shoot me a text man 6146233658
Old 10-21-2014, 07:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dansolow
Ever since I read this the other day, my passenger front suspension is making some noises too lol

shoot me a text man 6146233658
That sucks lol. Same loose washer sound?.

As soon as we get a decent day i deffinatelly will. Ohio weather ftl lol
Old 10-21-2014, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

Check your sway bar endlinks. The bushings could be gone and the washers are left to rattle around.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

shocks might be going. check them.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MuhThugga
Check your sway bar endlinks. The bushings could be gone and the washers are left to rattle around.
Those were the first thing i checked. All seems well there
Old 10-22-2014, 09:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
shocks might be going. check them.
Is there a washer or something im looking for?
Old 10-22-2014, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, there is a big washer on top of the strut mount. Your mounts may be collapsed, which is a normal issue. You can try jacking the front of the car up while watching the strut mounts under the hood. You may see them rise and fall as you lower/lift the car.

Caliper bracket bolts could be another possibility if they are backing out.

Radiator clips.

There are a lot of possibilities. Do you hear the noise if you were to, say, shut the door or close the hood?
Old 10-22-2014, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MuhThugga
Well, there is a big washer on top of the strut mount. Your mounts may be collapsed, which is a normal issue. You can try jacking the front of the car up while watching the strut mounts under the hood. You may see them rise and fall as you lower/lift the car.

Caliper bracket bolts could be another possibility if they are backing out.

Radiator clips.

There are a lot of possibilities. Do you hear the noise if you were to, say, shut the door or close the hood?
Nope, just while driving
Old 10-24-2014, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check the radius rod bushings, as well. There is a washer that cups that bushing.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Check the radiator clips. I know this sounds crazy, but a while back I noticed that when I closed the door I had a rattling sound. It took me a while to figure it out but it was the metal snap retainer clips that are on the sides of the radiator down in the runners.

Quick Reply: 04 gto front suspension rattle help.