Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

640hp N/A road race Goat nears completion (details inside)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default 640hp N/A road race Goat nears completion (details inside)

FINALLY! Updates for 2023, starting (somewhere) on page 3 of this thread. None of it will be meaningful or relevant if you haven't read the original backstory (posts 1-4 below), or met me and the Porkchop Express to appreciate the history of this build, and the people involved.

Read. Learn. Laugh. Cry. Celebrate. Flog your car. Repeat!

9/17/23 Edit - This build thread has become a bit of a monster. Here’s a table of contents to help newcomers and lurkers.
Everything is listed by Post #.

1 – Build specs revealed in full; why the car matters

2 – Idle video, honest evaluation of the car (nothing sugar coated)

3 – Honorable mentions and infinite gratitude

4 – More gratitude and racing pics

9 – Insane adventure recount since 2007; transition from drag racing into turning and stopping

10 – HD SLR pics. Pure car ****…

11-12) Nasty 12:1 cammed idle

26) More sexy pics and stroke material

34) Pics and updates

43) Tire and alignment discussion

44-45) Updates

50-51) Tranny problems not even Bruce Jenner can solve…

54) Driveshaft Q&A

55) Catching you up: 2017 upgrades – drivetrain overhaul 3/2017; a star is born 9/21/17

56-57) 2018 Upgrades – third and final suspension revision knocks it out of the park

58) Vintage pics of our favorite CGM goat, from stock to greatness: 2008-2014

59) 2019-2020 experiences - "DARKNESS has arrived!"

60) 2020-2021 - "Death comes for us all..."

61) 2021-Present Day

62) The Fate of the Porkchop Express (and why legends never die)

Original post below:

5/5/15: Something different for Cinco de Mayo:

I'm essentially a nobody on this board, but I have used Tech for research and networking with competent racers since ~2010. I seldom post, but that is about to change.

Porkchop turns 10 years old today, and I am sharing my build with anyone who wishes to learn from my experience. I’ve had PC for almost eight years now, and the car is 98% complete. It took me 15 years of planning and dreaming to appropriate, a lot of money I should have spent saving for a damned house, and over 3,000hrs of research, wrenching, testing, and repeating.

The car is a rolling resume to showcase everything I've accumulated in 15years of hot rodding and building performance setups, from suspension setup, to power production, and making it all work together.

The end result is an Aussie-bred BMW E92 M3 with more ***** than Mike Tyson in the late-1980s. It turns and accelerates like a slightly more refined C6 Z06 (if that Z had a 200# passenger at all times). Brakes could use more cowbell… Hoping the R4 pads and DBA front rotors help this.

The car saved me from two really bad relationships in the last decade, and has been a semi-safe constant during 8 years of controlled chaos. I managed to put myself through four years of school late in life while living along the poverty line, and finishing the project. #frugalmuch

See Post #3 below for the honorable mentions. A lot of significant people made this possible; you may know a few of them.

Porkchop and your humble scribe preparing for a hot session at Texas World Speedway, 4/25/2015

Some old stuff is worn out on the interior and needs to be repaired, but mechanically Porkchop is a champ. Anyway, I thought I would give something back to the community which helped me build this car and shape my direction. In this case, I’m opening the doors and windows to the build.

I will work on write-ups and reviews for specific mods as time allows. For now, here is the meaty stuff. Ask away if you have any questions and I will answer them publicly like a good politician. And thanks to all who have helped me and answered my nerdy, curious PMs over the years! So many of you have sold your Goats by now and may not even find this thread… :-(*
Porkchop: the Mechanical Animal

2005 GTO M6 Cyclone Grey, purchased 9/15/2007 with 19,500 miles on the clock.

THEN: 3750# 13.9-second super-slug trapping 106mph. Mega-yawn.

NOW: 3450# cruise missile, 10.90 @128mph N/A, 78k miles. Weighs 3390# on skinnies and slicks. Driver needs a 10-week diet…

Motor:

-TSP 402ci shortblock with -8cc Wiseco pistons and plasma moly rings gapped to .022” ("toight like a toiger")

-TEA Trick Flow 235cc LSX heads, custom shallow chamber (62cc), then milled for 58cc

-powdered metal valve guides to allow use of stock rocker arms

-Brian Tooley polish job to combustion chambers to remove detonation hot spots

-Cometic .045” head gaskets

-BT valvesprings, custom length pushrods (7.425” if I recall) for .050” lifter preload

-Comp Cams trunion upgrade, stock rocker arms with 78k miles

-Custom 243/251 .624” Comp cam, 113* LSA, 0* advance using LSL lobes. 2500-7000rpm powerband

-LS7 lifters and fresh trays

-Stock radiator, water pump, alternator, PS pump, oil pan, and coil packs w/78k miles

-Port-matched Fast102 intake

-LS2Portworks 90mm ported stock LS2 TB

-TSP ported LS6 oil pump

-DuSpeed custom OTR intake, painted cyclone grey and utilizing LS7 card MAF

-Kooks 1-7/8” longtubes with 3” catted mids

-custom 2.5” catback with Magnaflow X and Dynomax Bullets…will be 3” this year if motor holds

-NGK TR6 plugs gapped at .035-.040”, MSD Super Conductor 8.8mm plug wires

-Billet Prototypes catch can and Metco breather

-Walbro/LPE 255 fuel pump

-FAST 46# injectors, stock fuel rail lightly polished and cleaned up

Yield: 545whp/501wtq on 93 octane, SAE on Dynapack with old 3.46 rear (through cats and a 2.5" soda straw exhaust...3" coming this year)

Porkchop coming back in from some hot laps...takin' care of biz-ness!

Driveline:

-Built T56 with upgraded internals, Billet Products (AU) short shifter
-Monster LT1SC twin disc clutch w/22# flywheel
-AC Delco slave
-Monster SS remote bleeder
-2QWK4RU Tilton adj. master w/insulated SS clutch line and needle-bearing clutch rod instead of bushing
-Stock driveshaft, cleaned, polished and painted clear, 78k miles w/faultless donuts
-BMR driveshaft loop
-2QWK4RU built rear featuring upgraded LSD, 3.91 gears and 50# magnet of doom
-Stock rear cover, cleaned and lightly polished
-DSS inner stub shafts
-G-Force anti-hop Level 1 axles
-Stock outer stubs, living on a prayer like Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora
-Hinson poly motor mounts, 3/8" drop (motor later shimmed back up 4mm for Kooks LTs to clear PS rack)
-Kollar Racing trans mount (stock rubber style mount, stocker was like a grilled cheese sandwich after 72k miles)

Suspension (this is the good s**t):

-BC single-adjustable coilovers with custom 8kg springs front and rear
-Poly strut mounts and radius rod bushings from Kollar Racing
-Pedders rear diff insert
-Poly everything else via Energy Suspension, Part# 3.181134R purchased dirt cheap from VatoZone
-BMR strut tower brace
-Hotchkis sway bars
-battery relocate to trunk to aid in weight transfer and cornering (one of my favorite mods to this car)

Racecar + Toyota daily = car guy zen

Goat Hooves:

-VMR V710 18x8.5/18x9.5 ET45 wheels
-Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/40 and 275/35 rubber
-ARP wheel studs
-17x9 ZR1 SS wheels custom painted with 245/275 Nitto NT01Rs for track work
-M&H racemaster 185/55R17 skinnies and 26x11.5R16 MT ET Street bias plies for drag work

Stopping:

-StopTech slotted front rotors and vented rears
-Stock calipers (one recently rebuilt)
-Porterfield R4S pads on street, R4 for track
-Russell stainless braided lines all around
-ATE Type 200 Super Blue fluid on street, Motul 600 for track days
Jenny Craig Diet (aka How I hit 3450# with two DOT seats, stereo, heat, and a broken A/C system)

-removed front skidplate (-15#)

-Removed gas tank cage/brace, spare tire, jack, tools, etc (-85#)

-Longtubes headers, high flow cats, Dynomax Bullet mufflers (-25#)

-Removed stock seats for rear seat delete and Corbeau Forza microsuede front seats (-110#)

-BC coilovers (-25# over stock struts and springs)

-Retained rear v-brace/tow bar (0#)

-VMR V710 wheels and Michelin PSS rubber (gained 3” of track width, -18# rotating mass)

-weight gained from LT1SC clutch and TFS 235 cylinder heads…(+25# …HEAVY parts!)

-Hotchkis sway bars (-6# overall)

-Stock airbox and intake removed for DuSpeed OTR (-5#)
Yield:
3455# with half tank of 93-octane
3675# w/fat @$$ builder in driver’s seat
3390# on skinnies and 26” MT ET Street bias plies (w/o driver)

Porkchop in Fredericksburg, TX, last to show at Goatfest 2014 with brand new clutch and hydraulics
Other fine Aussie/GM features included at no additional cost:

-Stock stereo (cannot wait to fix this!) w/aux input mod that actually works
-Sagging headliner, reminiscent of a failing circus tent
-Cracked passenger side speaker cover (new one awaits install)
-Two stripped header bolt holes on driver’s side head
-Busted steering wheel control buttons
-Ignition cylinder that sometimes gets possessed by Satan and will not rotate to start car (only happens when I’m running late for something)
-Oil dipstick that sprays mist of oil above 5500rpm at WOT (o-ring needs upgrading)

Last edited by Stang2Goat; 09-18-2023 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

Video of the Chop with the old intake setups (belt squeak has since been fixed). Crank up the volume and admire my poor man's wheel setup in this vid...

My honest evaluation of the car:

With dampers set on 3-5 clicks from full soft, car suspension is buttery smooth on even roads, and a bit jarring on s**t roads that are pockmarked with craters and bumps. Zero squeaks or pops from poly bushings. Since completing the rear CA bushings (worst job ever) and aligning the rear cradle correctly for the first time in 7 years, the car now drives and transfers weight smoother than ever.

Clutch is fantastic, but will not allow slippage. Takes skill and practice to drive, but NEVER misses a shift like my old single disc unit. Buttery smooth to operate.

Transmission is notchy and tight, now five years after rebuild. Goes into reverse every time. Occasionally grinds going from 5th to 4th at lower engine speeds. Heel-toe rev matching fixes this and is fun to practice.

3.91 gears help as much as they hurt. I miss my longer stock gearing, but the car is much easier to lug around town at part throttle. Gears 3-5 have ***** they previously lacked. 1st and 2nd are now useless without drag radials or slicks, which is crippling. Stock 3.46 gears on this setup would hook up on 9” wide Dunlop ZII tires in 1st and 2nd. 3.91 verdict: 13% gear increase = 7% awesome, 7% fail.

Car successfully raced multiple 600-750cc sport bikes from 60 to 170mph with the stock gears and the old intake setup (Vararam and ported Fast92).

The good news: when the 275/35 Michelin PSS rears finally retire, I will install a taller rear tire. A 26-26.5" tall Mickey or Nitto DR would solve my short gearing and traction problems. 25" tall rear tires are a joke with this kind of power delivery.

“If building it over again, I would…”

…give up all of my power mods except for intake, headers and tune, and put my money into the suspension, brakes, wheels and tires first.

The VMR wheels, Michelin PSS rubber, and suspension mods made the greatest improvement to how the car drives, turns and stops, even when it is on a daily, slow commute around town. Power is seldom usable with traffic. Suspension and braking is fun and improves the safety margin at all times.

…do the stereo a LOT sooner. Stock setup is garbage except for the subs and sub-amp.

…buy an A4 if car was to be used for street duty and/or drag strip duty. I’ve gone through three clutches, one transmission, and countless hydraulic problems to find a setup that works reliably for me. Manuals aren’t everything…

…build suspension with KYB shocks/struts and Lovells springs if car is to see 80-95% street use. Way more comfy overall.

…save for reclining Corbeau seats with more back and *** support. Forzas are brilliant on the race track and make the car look truly purposeful, but they are murder after 45-minutes of driving. I met a few C5 drivers at a recent HPDE event who shared my Forza views. They replaced theirs.

“My favorite mods are…”

-Suspension, suspension, suspension!
-VMR wheels and Michelin PSS rubber (fap fap fap)
-Brakes
-Battery relocate to trunk

I cannot list the above separately, as they all work together to make what began life as a couch with a steering wheel, and transform it into an E92 BMW M3 with high levels of competency. With the above mods, Porkchop could still have only 370whp from a stock LS2, and it would still be a cut above most sports cars on the market.

I try to stress this to goat owners who come to me seeking advice for power and speed mods: the factory brakes and suspension have some major deficits that need to be dealt with in a hurry. Thanks to Andy Kollar, Maryland Speed, and Hinson, we still have a solid aftermarket for suspension and brakes on these cars!

Open forum, ask away with your questions and I will respond as my schedule allows.

Cheers!

Last edited by Stang2Goat; 05-15-2015 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

First go-round to acknowledge the following outstanding individuals who assisted with this project and my dreams of owning a mean stroker motor in a usable chassis:

(If I missed anyone - and I may very well have - send me a reminder! This is 8 years of friendships and help I am trying to catalog)

Texas Speed for the shortblock that has survived a LOT of s**t. Never sprayed or boosted, but have had several parts failures around the shortblock, and it has survived unscathed for 35k miles now, including one cross country trip to GA.

SNL Performance/Monster Clutch for stabbing the motor into the Chop back in 3/2009, before I possessed the tools and experience I hold today. Jason, Bill, Steve and Lloyd worked around the clock to get my car back before Goatfest that year! They were there until 1am working on it at one point.

Steve Addison, the man behind Monster Clutch, and his butter half, Jenny.

Andy Kollar of Kollar Racing for continuing to stock cutting edge aftermarket parts for our cars, long after all other vendors have gone under. I could never have come so far with this car's chassis without your help, business, and friendship. Cheers, Long Island buddy.

Bill Price (WRP) for letting me drive Ethyl at Goatfest back in 2008, for helping assemble my 402 in 2009, and for his endless contributions to this community, in tech talks, unbridled honesty about parts failures, and the Ethyl videos waiting to go viral on the web. Thank you for your friendship, Bill, and for agreeing to the veterans interview I did at the end of my Journalism B.A. at Texas State.

Brian Tooley for cam help, head work, tech support, and deadpan sarcasm as I finished the final iteration of the motor as it sits today. Take me at my word: TEA would not be what it is without the guidance and experience of this man.

Daniel Villegas (Vanceti) for being the greatest pusher for recent Goatfests, for being the loudest of the ETGs at the LBJ Pavillion in Fredericksburg, and for opening up to me in the veterans interview in 2012.

Hinson Supercars (Brian and Seth) for tons of 'oh s**t I need these parts asap' purchases and technical support.

Jason Elliott Fabrication in San Marcos, TX for the driveshaft loop, cut fenders, two sets of painted wheels, and the reconditioned rear bumper insert. You have so much untapped talent and I truly hope you find a way to capitalize on it, to create a job that satisfies you!

Jay Presley of Birdco Racecars for installing my PRC 650 valvesprings when I didn't have the right tools. Jay compressed those 400# springs with his massive Popeye arms and a HD spring tool...16x.

The Johns @ Texas Speed for their help during my top end rebuild in 2010

Mark G's Machine in Buda, TX for affordable, quality machine work over the years. You've bailed me out of some nasty mechanical situations!

Maryland Speed for being an enabler to my car addiction - great website and prices! Your team has seldom failed me in 8 years of business, and you continue to stock GTO parts - bless you all!

Matt Gelsomini (Phoenix) for being my first tuner, and for lending a hand to a stranger when my motor grenaded itself on 2/12/09 in Plano... :-(* Not many people would have given up their day and helped tear down an engine like Matt did...

Mike Haddad of Haddad Motorsports for a truly awesome hour-long tech discussion when I was working on my suspension

Mike 2QWK4RU...controversial figure, very aloof, but you helped deliver my diff rebuild after a LOT of snags from FedEx and my parts suppliers. Thank you for the adjustable master and many hours of tech talk! My rear on this car is amazing.

Ricky and Larry at Quality Body for fixing $2400 worth of front end damage 8/2010 (redneck backed into Porkchop in a parking lot)

Ron @ Vengeance Racing for LOADS of tech help, guidance and support over the years. I modeled my motor build after the half dozen 540-550whp stroker builds I watched VR produce over the years. The price of my longtubes and heads hurt my wallet like a Nigerian bride scam, but thanks to the success of VR customers and the info available, I knew it would pay off in the end. Ron - thank you again for all the emails, phone calls, and the tour of the shop back in 12/2013!

Tom 'Bugsquasher' of Austin F-bodies for rebuilding my broken Fred Flinstone T56 and giving me all 7 gears after 18mo without reverse

***-play in Fredericksburg, TX 9/2014

Last edited by Stang2Goat; 05-15-2015 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

TWS 4/23/15: Porkchop and builder arrived at their Mecca...

MORE (this is 8 years of relationships, help and support...quite the Oscar speech)

The following car pals who lent their cars, hands, tools or expertise over the years...

Alex Barone (ExTurbo) for all the drag race support and 3.91 gear chat. We literally exchanged close to 100 PMs and countless text back when he had his goat, and even when he upgraded to his C5Z.

Becky Lichucki (Ducky), for lending me Robert's old rear bumper insert to replace the one I lost on the way to his funeral

Brendon Davis (TexasHeat!) for having a clean, cammed f-body that inspired me to go *****-deep with my N/A build

Chris Jett (Robofuzz) for the Pedders rear springs I tried out, for creating an alternate outlet for GTO users, for trying out the Energy Suspension bushings and creating a super helpful write-up, for having an awesome fox of a wife (Michelle!), and for showing how to be a family man AND a car guy for the last 8-10yrs. Also thank you for the occasional legal advice. You're good people.

CobraTom Anderson for hundreds of hours of tech talk, brute honesty and emotional support. I miss you, brother...

Cody and Larry Goodwill for being my closest family in the car community. WE MISS YOU LARRY!!!

Darrel Miner (Cobra/Mustang pal) for being a hysterically inappropriate friend and auto-x buddy over the years. Your mouth gets you into so much trouble, but I'm glad to know you and sweet Sarah! Also, sorry for breaking your hand that fateful night... :-( A lesser man would no longer speak to me... (interesting story behind that one)

David Baranakis (spelling?) for trading in Porkchop that brutal week on 9/12/15. God knows what I would be driving if it weren't for this man's decision to buy a Jetta TDI. Probably a slow Mustang 5.0L...

Derick Mitchell (Doncmleon) for stereo and detailing help and for staying all day to help with the first cam swap

Eddie Sparks (LancerAM) Lancer is a saint for all things electrical, beer, and family related. He's lent a hand many a time when I was in over my head with a motor or trans project.

Eric M. (E-Rock) for letting me drive his BC double adjustable setup with Pedders Fast Rack and HSV steering wheel. Nicest Goat I have ever been in... Also, nobody gives me s**t the way he does (shy of my own brother).

GTOJimmy for the Walbro 255 fuel pump at a steal of a price when I was putting the 402 setup together, and for the endlessly entertaining roll racing vids from WAY back in the day (2007-2008)

James Gooch (fella with the Blue Octane Evo X seen in my road racing threads)...my faithful auto-x buddy. I hope we can get back to some events with Spokes and SASCA when I have a better paying job this year! So glad I know you and Jennifer.

Jeff Makela (MacDogg) for his photo skills at our GTO events back in the day, a private photo session he helped me with in 2012, and for riding with me to/from Houston Raceway Park in Baytown in 2008! Longest drive in Texas I can remember... (not his fault - Houston is Dante's Inferno)

Jeff M. (JefeMac) for going in with me on the DuSpeed nightmare, and for being a great friend/supporter.

Joe Seabrooke, brother and surrogate father, for helping me kill an otherwise innocent LS2 engine during that frightful cam install Feb. 2009...

The weaker car must be killed and eaten...

Joseph and Justin of Round Rock Honda, for performing side work on the Chop and lending me their stalls when I needed to perform repairs back in 2008-2010.

Josh (RedGoat420) for the rear bumper insert I am still using today.

Louis Angel (Goatcruiser!) for hosting me one awesome day in Chicago 5/2011

Matt (YoungGuns) for some epic memories, and a steal of a deal on the rear seat delete. We won't discuss that time I drove you home sick and you exploded out of your Goat to vomit on the way back from SAR...your secret is safe with me, bud.

Robert Rider, the messy ex-roommate, for years of ridicule, bromance, BMW rides, and for bailing me out of Plano when Porkchop died back in 2/2009.

Scott Fuller (SJFGTO) in GA for the friendship, and letting me drive his squeaky clean QSM Pedderized H/C/I GTO.

Sporaclic from NH for paving the way for my wheel selection and suspension plans. He writes long, detailed posts like I do, and I learned a LOT from his experiences. Cheers, CGM buddy! Love your car.

Thomas H (Stoopalini) for months of tech talk, suspension help, and for leading me to race with NASA. I have a very real calling and a direction now in which to focus my racing pursuits.

Tim Gee (G-Force) for sharing his car, his time, and his heart over our 7yr friendship! I am so blessed to have met a pal like you.

Tom (Yowzerman) in VA for being a fellow all-motor maniac and east coast smart-@$$. Lots of good experiences discussed long distance. Hope we meet someday, bud!

William Holden (WmHolden) in CA for letting me pick his brain about magnachargers for the better part of 2 years, and for referring me to Mike Haddad.

Bill and Nancy Price, the team behind WRP, @ Goatfest 9/2014

Emotional baggage shoehorned into one Aussie cow...

A terrified, irritated pit bull who just wanted to be inside a house sleeping...

THIS PROJECT COULD NOT HAVE BEEN A SUCCESSFUL JOURNEY WITHOUT MEETING AND KNOWING ALL THESE EXTRAORDINARY INDIVIDUALS ALONG THE WAY!!!

"Say my name..." "Heisenberg!!!"
Attached Thumbnails 640hp N/A road race Goat nears completion (details inside)-edit2.jpg   640hp N/A road race Goat nears completion (details inside)-edit3.jpg   640hp N/A road race Goat nears completion (details inside)-img_4083.jpg  

Last edited by Stang2Goat; 12-13-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Very nice write up! Carry on.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2QWK4RU 06 GOAT
Very nice write up! Carry on.
You just skimmed to the part where I sung you praises...

Love my diff and master! Thank you again for everything.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Stang2Goat
You just skimmed to the part where I sung you praises...

Love my diff and master! Thank you again for everything.
How did you know....lol. I'm glad all is working well for ya. Whenever the time calls, we can get rid of some gear and put you back to something taller.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Very cool thread. Lot's of hard work put into this build.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Very cool thread. Lot's of hard work put into this build.
Thanks, Phoenix!

Part of me feels bad for how long winded the posts are, but they don't even scratch the surface on the years, hours and experiences behind this car. You wouldn't believe the crazy and memorable situations this Goat has been through, both when it was running and when it was broken. I could write a 200-page best seller, each chapter a short story of 'you won't believe the s**t that happened today.'

Since 2007, Chop has...

-Driven all over Texas for social and mechanical reasons

-Led a car club for 18 months (Austin Goat Herd)

-Performed two charity cruises to raise money for some good folks who fell on hard times

-Made a caravan to two funerals to pay respects to goat owners who passed away, one in Houston, one in Austin

-Made a cross country trip with 500# of passengers and gear in the dead heat of July in the gulf states, TX to GA and back

-Come within an inch of the wall at SAR when the track crew missed some spillage from a previous car (2/2014)

-Hit gravel on I-35 in Round Rock at 60mph, traveling ***-first across three empty lanes of traffic before boomeranging back across and missing the guard rail by 3' (2/2/2009)

-Gone ***-first (this is a recurring theme) in a rain storm at 30mph into oncoming traffic while slowing down for a traffic light (near-death by Mickey Thompson DRs in an emergency situation...daily driver was down for repairs)

-Completed a full weekend of road racing at Texas World Speedway without ever overheating and without parts failure

-survived the scariest drivers in the state around College Station, TX 4/24-4/25/15 (God help Aggies and their citizens)

And that's just the Cliff's Notes. The amazing people I have met and the near-wreck experiences from normal driving have definitely shown me that God has my *** and is looking out for me when I least expect it.

Transition into road racing...
The build started out as a street/strip drag deal and did well with Koni adjustables and crappy Eibach noodles. Transferred weight front to back very well but wasn't a confidence inspiring deal in the turns. I found the best 9" wide tires I could afford and fit them on the stock 17x8s, then did my best to learn to drive it on tight, technical solo courses.

Porkchop in the auto-x days, stock heavy-@$$ 17x8s with 245/45R17 Dunlop Star Spec shoes.

The name Porkchop came about because the car always had a mean bark and would scoot when you asked it to, but it just felt so damned heavy, and never felt composed around corners. My previous three cars all weighed under 3350# and I felt the weight in the Goat. The body, chassis and doors all feel like they're made of pig metal. My former roommate and best friend had a lightly modded 135i that was just brilliant (N54 motor, 400whp on pump gas).

2004 Mystic Cobra, previous auto-x ride for a close friend

His Bimmer passion and my continued exposure to BMWs really made me re-evaluate modern muscle. I didn't want the Porcubimmer stigma or the costs of owning those cars, but I wanted the Goat to behave more like a proper GT car. You need to ride in an E80-E90 chassis to understand what I mean (if you don't from reading this). The cars handle and stop with the best on the road, but they're never harsh doing it.

James Gooch, close auto-x pal with the meanest Evo X ever to pass a state inspection

Anyway, ultimately it was two friends who dared me to go to an auto-x with them in late 2010 that swayed me and made me realize how much I prefer turning, stopping and DRIVING...to waiting in line for an hour at the local drag strip to get in a 10-11 second pass, all the while rolling the dice on whether the track prep would be there. Drag racing is like a coke habit. It leads to a lot of sleepless nights and shallow bank accounts just to get your next fix, and in some instances will ruin relationships with selfish women.

My switch to auto-x eventually pushed me to change the entire build and update a very tired (bizarre in places) suspension design, one that was put together by a team of Aussies in 1997 who had a can of Fosters in one hand and an air gun in the other. You really wouldn't believe how well this car drives and turns if you crawled under it and saw the front suspension setup.

Eight years is a long time, but it also goes by quickly when you're working seven-day weeks and struggling to carve out social time. I have SO much lost time to make up for this year, and the TWS event in April was a great start. I miss my car pals!

The RaceGoat wears Prada...or in this case, Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Thank you Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, and C7 Corvette for showing me the way to great handling...

Ton of people on here have helped me via PMs, but I can't think of them as it has been several years now. Just hope the info I share helps someone else along with an LS platform who is torn on what to do and how to go about it. I really have no secrets on this car, even the shameful stories...

Dyno @ Aikman Performance 8/2014, hot as hell (90*) Car pulled timing and was down on power. Goal was to fix fuel trims to accommodate the new DuSpeed intake seen above, while also improving drivability from the nasty cam. Took me almost 5 months and two shipments to get the right intake from Du in Australia, but they took care of me the entire time. I couldn't be happier with my intake. It finished the motor and opened up the top-end power I was missing with the Vararam.
Attached Thumbnails 640hp N/A road race Goat nears completion (details inside)-edit1.jpg   640hp N/A road race Goat nears completion (details inside)-edit2.jpg   640hp N/A road race Goat nears completion (details inside)-edit3.jpg   640hp N/A road race Goat nears completion (details inside)-porkchop-newshoes2-8-10-14-.jpg   640hp N/A road race Goat nears completion (details inside)-porkchop-8-2014-dyno-pic1.jpg  

Last edited by Stang2Goat; 05-15-2015 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

Since the seats are the biggest conversation piece of this car (until someone pisses it off on the highway), here are some pics that continue the "I'm a cyber *****" trend for the week...

The pics here were taken with a Canon 70D DSLR camera and a prime lens that was my big graduation gift for finishing college before my 30th bday (amazing gift that is way above my paygrade!)

-Corbeau Forzas with microsuede option
-Custom GTO brackets sold by Corbeau
-Stock seatbelts and airbag harnesses retained.

You wouldn't believe the steal I picked these up for in brand new condition... (I'm poor so it was the only hope in hell I had) Seats and brackets purchased new at half price. Right place, right time scenarios.

Seats gained me 2" of much needed head room (helmet real estate for race days!), and put my fat 220# *** lower in the car to promote even better handling.

The stock seats in a Goat are nice but weigh 70# each and feel like you're sitting in an SUV. They're so high that you hit your head on the A-pillar very easily during ingress and egress. Corbeau seats were a smart upgrade and are responsible for 94# of the car's wight loss.

Attached Thumbnails 640hp N/A road race Goat nears completion (details inside)-porkchop1-edit.jpg   640hp N/A road race Goat nears completion (details inside)-porkchop6-edit.jpg   640hp N/A road race Goat nears completion (details inside)-porkchop-ebay3-edit.jpg   640hp N/A road race Goat nears completion (details inside)-porkchop-interior1-edit.jpg   640hp N/A road race Goat nears completion (details inside)-porkchop-interior2-edit.jpg  

Last edited by Stang2Goat; 05-15-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Low quality vid (crank up your speakers). This is what a 243/251 113 cam with LSL lobes sounds like on a cold winter's night. Who loves high-compression motors?...

Video from 12/23/2013. Managed to hustle for a week or so and get the car back and running as a much-needed Christmas gift to myself. 8-mo no Goat = depressed owner... :-(*

Last edited by Stang2Goat; 05-15-2015 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great Thread! Thanks for sharing your build.

Originally Posted by Stang2Goat

Seats gained me 2" of much needed head room (helmet real estate for race days!), and put my fat 220# *** lower in the car to promote even better handling.

The stock seats in a Goat are nice but weigh 70# each and feel like you're sitting in an SUV. They're so high that you hit your head on the A-pillar very easily during ingress and egress. Corbeau seats were a smart upgrade and are responsible for 94# of the car's wight loss.

So true! I'm only 5'5" and I smash my head on the A pillar almost every time I drive the car. I've also learned to remove my helmet before exiting the car, haha.

Unfortunately, I'd probably have trouble seeing over the steering wheel if I did the Corbeau's(which I was planning until reading this thread) since they lower the seat 2". So, thank you for passing that on...
Old 05-17-2015, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome thread! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I especially liked the fact you posted opinions good and bad. Sometimes I think of selling my Goat, but reading a thread like yours makes me want to keep it. It truly is a process of getting everything set up right and I haven't found my perfect set up yet with power, suspension, drivetrain, etc. but you give me hope haha.
The following users liked this post:
Stang2Goat (09-17-2023)
Old 05-18-2015, 08:37 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome thread man! Keep up the good work!
Old 05-20-2015, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slogoat
Awesome thread! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I especially liked the fact you posted opinions good and bad. Sometimes I think of selling my Goat, but reading a thread like yours makes me want to keep it. It truly is a process of getting everything set up right and I haven't found my perfect set up yet with power, suspension, drivetrain, etc. but you give me hope haha.
Don't sell it! Fly out to Austin and take a ride in the Chop. You need some inspiration...

PM me if you have any questions. This is my personal Goat and a 15yr build if you knew my history, but I have helped lots of other folks solve problems, install parts, troubleshoot and even swap motors. I have a ton of research and experience under my belt with these cars.

Originally Posted by 6PntHo
Awesome thread man! Keep up the good work!
Thanks, bud! Glad to see you over here.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Congrats!!! Sweeter than ever!
Old 05-30-2015, 12:39 AM
Staging Lane

Very nice. I like that you get out there on the road courses. Would love to do that.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SJFGTO
Congrats!!! Sweeter than ever!
Scott! You're alive!!! Hope I included you in the honorable mentions section. How old is Jonah these days? 11 this year?

Hope you still have the squeaky clean QSM. Great to see you on here!

Originally Posted by Super Goat
Very nice. I like that you get out there on the road courses. Would love to do that.
You can do it! Upgrade your pads and lines, add high temp fluid, and maybe a B&M trans cooler since you're an auto guy. And go play! Street tires will keep you relatively under control. At least do it to cross it off your bucket list.

You have MSR Houston and another track in LA very close to where you live.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:12 AM
Teching In

Wow Michael, very nice work on Porkchop and very, very nice work posting up such a detailed, creative and well thought out and written 'dissertation'. 'Car friendships' seem to transcend time and place. Congrats brother and stay as safe as possible!

Tom.
Stang2Goat (09-17-2023)
Old 06-25-2015, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

Good to see you on Tech my friend
Stang2Goat (09-17-2023)

Quick Reply: 640hp N/A road race Goat nears completion (details inside)