Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

A/C Line

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Default A/C Line

Does anyone know exactly what type of flare needs to be on the dryer side of the evaporator tube? My flare broke off, tube is in good shape other than the end. I am not about to tear half of my engine bay out just for one flare that broke off.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-22-2015, 01:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can wait till around the winter time I'll be taking my entire HVAC system out so i can fit an 8.50 cage in behind the dash and can sell parts off it if you need anything then.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Canada,
I appreciate the offer. I do not want to replace any of the lines as half the engine bay seems to have to be removed. I am going to either re-flare the end or get a compression fitting to fit the dryer, I just am not sure what type of flare is on the line as I seem to have miss placed the end that broke off.

Thank you very much though!
Old 06-22-2015, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I went through a self inflected NIGHTMARE with a similar issue. I had cut the flared end off at the drier to make a connection for a Killer Chiller we were helping with. Come to find out, the lines are metric. I attempted to have the local hose and fitting place make me several pieces, none would seal. I finally found a guy in Detroit that made me an adapter and compression fitting to make it all work.

Not sure how this helps you.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tom's2005gto
I went through a self inflected NIGHTMARE with a similar issue. I had cut the flared end off at the drier to make a connection for a Killer Chiller we were helping with. Come to find out, the lines are metric. I attempted to have the local hose and fitting place make me several pieces, none would seal. I finally found a guy in Detroit that made me an adapter and compression fitting to make it all work.

Not sure how this helps you.
Who was this guy in Detroit. I work in Detroit, so..... Yeah this may help a ton!
Old 06-22-2015, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A quick search, looks like he's in Flint, not Detroit. Maybe he moved? maybe I just remembered wrong. But he did a good job helping me out.

https://www.autocoolingsolutions.com/
Old 07-10-2015, 06:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Same problem. My only solution thus far is 150 mph with the windows down.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

Mine got damaged during a in car cam change: bought the new line only to discover it was the line that goes all around the damn engine bay and appears to require an engine removal to install.

You guys know if I could just weld the good end off the new tube onto the old tube? Or will flames cause an contamination or explosive issue?
Old 08-01-2015, 03:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Mine got damaged during a in car cam change: bought the new line only to discover it was the line that goes all around the damn engine bay and appears to require an engine removal to install.

You guys know if I could just weld the good end off the new tube onto the old tube? Or will flames cause an contamination or explosive issue?
You can bend the new line to go over (instead of under) the steering shaft and still catch all the clips that hold the line in place. It's better than taking everything apart just to put it under the steering shaft. Just take your time bending it carefully and it will work.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jontall
You can bend the new line to go over (instead of under) the steering shaft and still catch all the clips that hold the line in place. It's better than taking everything apart just to put it under the steering shaft. Just take your time bending it carefully and it will work.
Thanks, man. I might have someone that's good at bending stuff give that a shot.

Quick Reply: A/C Line