Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Hinson DS??

Old 05-01-2016, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hinson DS??

Just ordered a Hinson Driveshaft. Wondering if anyone else has used them, and what your thoughts are.

Also ordered motor/trans mounts as well. Hoping that this will tighten up the drivetrain a bit...
Old 05-01-2016, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

you still running stock half shafts tim?
Old 05-01-2016, 06:33 PM
11 Second Club

For now, lol

I thought about upgrading them, but at the same time keeping them as the "weak point" isn't necessarily a bad thing. They're cheaper to replace than stubs... But, we'll see how it hooks at the track this year and what breaks first, lol
Old 05-02-2016, 12:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Hinson DS, motor and tranny mounts. Make sure you grind off the threaded ends of some bolts just above the rear of the shaft by the rear gears, you can see they hang pretty low. I had no clue they had to be taken off until it ground into my DS really hard one day and caused a lot of cussing and worrying.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ledzepp3
I have the Hinson DS, motor and tranny mounts. Make sure you grind off the threaded ends of some bolts just above the rear of the shaft by the rear gears, you can see they hang pretty low. I had no clue they had to be taken off until it ground into my DS really hard one day and caused a lot of cussing and worrying.

Thanks for the response... I am aware of the bolts needed to be ground down.

How much did doing the tree improve the feel of the car for you?
Old 05-03-2016, 09:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Motor mounts made a world of difference for me, been meaning to finish up wit the DS and tranny mount.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:07 PM
Launching!

They made my Goat feel tighter, but then you'll want to do suspension mods too afterwards for the full race car effect lol
Old 05-03-2016, 06:53 PM
11 Second Club

They made my Goat feel tighter, but then you'll want to do suspension mods too afterwards for the full race car effect lol
Already have koni inserts with pedders springs all around, sub frame connectors, rr bushings done, so suspension is covered for now....

Until it gets mini tubbed w/ gforce coilovers, but that won't happen till next winter as long as i don't break anything major between now and then, lol
Old 05-04-2016, 02:07 PM
Launching!

The only other thing I'd get is a set of sway bars, those plus the springs probably made the biggest difference in cornering response. Also, subframe bushings. I know my factory ones let mine my rear squat pretty bad and since I'm trying to avoid rolling my fenders, I'm having my buddy Luke put them in for me in prep for a head/cam/intake and new wheels.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

sway bar let your rear sag or subframe bushings let you sag? sorry to derail
Old 05-04-2016, 09:03 PM
11 Second Club

The only other thing I'd get is a set of sway bars, those plus the springs probably made the biggest difference in cornering response. Also, subframe bushings. I know my factory ones let mine my rear squat pretty bad and since I'm trying to avoid rolling my fenders, I'm having my buddy Luke put them in for me in prep for a head/cam/intake and new wheels.
I've already done the rear subframe bushings as well. Not sure if I'll ever upgrade the swaybars(I did the end links) since I don't get much opportunity to take the car through the turns. Maybe when I run put of other **** to do, but they're definitely towards the bottom of the list.

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
rear subframe bushings will deteriorate over time. I replaced mine will poly bushings.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

Old 05-05-2016, 07:29 PM
11 Second Club

Well....the parts arrived today. Everything looks nice, I'm happy to never have u-joints instead of those stupid guibo's...

Unfortunately, it's raining for the next week... Hopefully it will clear up for a few hours this weekend so I can put it all in.. Then off to Slowhawk for a re-tune on Tuesday. Should be a whole new beast after that..
Old 05-06-2016, 10:45 AM
TECH Regular

I have a one piece D/S with U joints, a Harrop diff cover and mount, 3.07 cryo treated and shot peened gears, Billet stub axles, BMR 1000 hp axles, Hinson motor mounts and a solid trans mount in my car and it definitely makes a difference, everything is crisp and you can feel more of what's going on. My only gripe is that any/all drivetrain noise is amplified and makes it feel and sound a bit clunky for my liking if I am just cruising in sixth gear around 50 mph and let off the gas and then reapply gas. I have absolutely no wheel hop and throttle response is immediate, no bubber band feeling.

Hope it works well for you!
Old 05-06-2016, 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Buzzmanb12
I have a one piece D/S with U joints, a Harrop diff cover and mount, 3.07 cryo treated and shot peened gears, Billet stub axles, BMR 1000 hp axles, Hinson motor mounts and a solid trans mount in my car and it definitely makes a difference, everything is crisp and you can feel more of what's going on. My only gripe is that any/all drivetrain noise is amplified and makes it feel and sound a bit clunky for my liking if I am just cruising in sixth gear around 50 mph and let off the gas and then reapply gas. I have absolutely no wheel hop and throttle response is immediate, no bubber band feeling.

Hope it works well for you!
I'll probably do the harrop at some point in the near future.

Got the driveshaft and trans mount in today. Going to the gym now, then doing the trans fluid, motor mounts, oil change and ranger method tonight.. weather permitting, I'll take it for a nice run after to test everything out

Last edited by Tim94gt; 05-06-2016 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:32 PM
11 Second Club

So much for that..... Started pouring as soon as I got out there to work.

I need a garage....and a lift!
Old 05-07-2016, 09:55 PM
11 Second Club

Got everything done today! Car feels great, a little more vibrations than before but nothing I'm concerned about. It definitely made a huge difference in the feel of the car...

Now, I just need my retune and I'm heading to the track

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hinson DS??