Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

M6 GTO Driveline Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M6 GTO Driveline Reliability

I am in the process of building a rear end for my M6 GTO. Only issue is while doing research I have been seeing a lot of conflicting information about getting this rear end to hold 650 tq with an end goal of 750 tq. The car is my daily but I also like to take it to the track. I want to be able to throw some drag radials on it and run in the high 10s. My plan was to get a Tick Level 3 rebuild for my T56 and install a new clutch, Hinson driveshaft, DSS 1000HP axles and stubs, and TrueTrac or Kaaz diff. But now I am seeing a lot of people saying its a waist of money building these rear ends and to just go with an 8.8 or 9" rear conversion. Only issue is that's at least a couple more thousand I would have to throw in. Can I get this setup to hold the kind of power I need it to or am I better off spending the extra money and not have to do it twice.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliGrown562
I am in the process of building a rear end for my M6 GTO. Only issue is while doing research I have been seeing a lot of conflicting information about getting this rear end to hold 650 tq with an end goal of 750 tq. The car is my daily but I also like to take it to the track. I want to be able to throw some drag radials on it and run in the high 10s. My plan was to get a Tick Level 3 rebuild for my T56 and install a new clutch, Hinson driveshaft, DSS 1000HP axles and stubs, and TrueTrac or Kaaz diff. But now I am seeing a lot of people saying its a waist of money building these rear ends and to just go with an 8.8 or 9" rear conversion. Only issue is that's at least a couple more thousand I would have to throw in. Can I get this setup to hold the kind of power I need it to or am I better off spending the extra money and not have to do it twice.

There are several ways to build our driveline with success. In all but the most wicked applications, the stock diff can be molded into a solid performer.

8.8 and 9" kits have proven to be a waste of money and time in my opinion; at least in most applications. They increase NVH and the car is no longer a smooth drive; they add weight too.

A dedicated drag car with slicks running low 9's would be a good conversion. At that point, it might be a good idea for durability, repeatability and just longevity. In that case, there is a vendor here who makes a nice looking solid axle kit for the goat that I might consider looking into.

Save the 8.8 and 9" conversion for just a few percent of owners. 99% can make do with a stock diff, as long as it's built correctly.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Key to getting the stock drivetrain to live is going to be controlling the torque that the drivetrain actually sees.

If you have 750ft/lbs at the flywheel but choose a clutch that reaches it's slip point at 1000ft/lbs, that clutch can easily create 1000ft/lb torque spikes in spite of the 750ft/lb input...that may be more than your drivetrain can handle. If you instead choose a clutch with 800ft/lb capacity it will still handle the 750ft/lbs that you are making, but the torque spikes that are created (as the engine's WOT rpm is pulled down) will be limited to that clutch's 800ft/lb capacity.

An alternative is to choose the 1000ft/lb capacity clutch, but control the reserve capacity in such a way that it reduces the peak value of the torque spike that it creates...basically force it to slip longer. Simplified example is a clutch locking up at .3 seconds creating an additional 400ft/lb spike of energy recovered from the rotating assy as it loses rpm. If you delay that clutch's lockup until .6 seconds into the run you effectively released the same amount of energy from the rotating assy, but you doubled the duration over which that rpm loss occurred, which cuts the intensity in half. Simply put- you converted an energy release of 400ft/lbs over .3 seconds into 200ft/lbs over .6 seconds by simply delaying clutch lockup. I achieve this by attaching a small adjustable hydraulic cylinder onto my clutch pedal to delay the final bit of clutch lockup, but some install one-way restrictions in the slave cylinder line to slow engagement. One-way restrictions work fine if reaction time is not an issue, but a cylinder installed on the clutch pedal gets the job done without increasing R/T.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Must be burning some..haha.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You might be surprised at how effective tailoring the clutch's lockup to the engine's power can be.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by weedburner
You might be surprised at how effective tailoring the clutch's lockup to the engine's power can be.
absolutely, making adjustments in a chassis, driveline, driver style, etc will always help make you faster and more efficient. The clutch is one of them, rarely done right and blueprinted to what is optimal Imo. Hp/torque and race parts sell the clutch mostly.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by weedburner
Key to getting the stock drivetrain to live is going to be controlling the torque that the drivetrain actually sees.

If you have 750ft/lbs at the flywheel but choose a clutch that reaches it's slip point at 1000ft/lbs, that clutch can easily create 1000ft/lb torque spikes in spite of the 750ft/lb input...that may be more than your drivetrain can handle. If you instead choose a clutch with 800ft/lb capacity it will still handle the 750ft/lbs that you are making, but the torque spikes that are created (as the engine's WOT rpm is pulled down) will be limited to that clutch's 800ft/lb capacity.

An alternative is to choose the 1000ft/lb capacity clutch, but control the reserve capacity in such a way that it reduces the peak value of the torque spike that it creates...basically force it to slip longer. Simplified example is a clutch locking up at .3 seconds creating an additional 400ft/lb spike of energy recovered from the rotating assy as it loses rpm. If you delay that clutch's lockup until .6 seconds into the run you effectively released the same amount of energy from the rotating assy, but you doubled the duration over which that rpm loss occurred, which cuts the intensity in half. Simply put- you converted an energy release of 400ft/lbs over .3 seconds into 200ft/lbs over .6 seconds by simply delaying clutch lockup. I achieve this by attaching a small adjustable hydraulic cylinder onto my clutch pedal to delay the final bit of clutch lockup, but some install one-way restrictions in the slave cylinder line to slow engagement. One-way restrictions work fine if reaction time is not an issue, but a cylinder installed on the clutch pedal gets the job done without increasing R/T.
WOW! A post from someone who knows how the real world works and absolutely zero idea how math works. Did it really take a wall of text to tell someone that if they slip the clutch enough the rear end won't break?

Quick Reply: M6 GTO Driveline Reliability