Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Picked up an 04 Torrid Red

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 01:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Default Picked up an 04 Torrid Red

Bone stock right down to the paper filter... She's a high miler, one owner, just getting to know her.. replacing all 4 wheels bearings tomorrow, rear passenger side is howling like a coyote.... Other than that suspension is nice, car is very solid for a soon to be 13 y/o car. Other than seat belts not retracting, bulb being out in shifter (A4), that's about all I can find wrong. Interior is perfect, no leaks, drips, funny smells... shifts nice and smooth.
picked it up as a DD, putting way too many miles on my Fsport IS350... Just got the windows tinted yesterday. Also gonna throw some new tires all around. this thing actually got 375 mi out of a tank of fuel!!! Crazy!!!

Suggestions on things to look for are greatly appreciated. I know Fbod,s Vette's backwards and forwards... Not so much w GTO's...
Old 08-13-2016, 02:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got rid of my 2006 GTO... Torrid red too.

Check strut mounts, bushings, rear springs for sag.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Thank you bud... I'll do that tomorrow while replacing bushings.

Originally Posted by Mean87SS
Just got rid of my 2006 GTO... Torrid red too.

Check strut mounts, bushings, rear springs for sag.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

nice looking car.

just look over everything thoroughly.

im surprised you dont have that rear seat separation like a lot of these cars do.

mine had it.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:06 AM
TECH Junkie

It did... But the original owner had it fixed... Looks perfect now.

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
nice looking car.

just look over everything thoroughly.

im surprised you dont have that rear seat separation like a lot of these cars do.

mine had it.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, I just picked an 05 up about a month ago. Fun cars!
Old 08-19-2016, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I to picked up a 04 as my daily few months back. After 6 months im still in love with as my dd. Rides grwat and is peppy enough to have fun. Adding some sound to it really mafe me enjoy rowing through the gears even more.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Check exposed BCM wire beneath the glove compartment. Frayed fuel line behind the driver side engine cover.

Looks nice. Pontiac V emblems faded from red to orange? If no, then it was garaged a great deal.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice D.D.!

Things to look for:

- The bushings tend to go bad in these car's-especially for '04's. You can pick up a complete set of Energy Suspension bushings for under $200.

- There is also a problem with rear suspension sag. If the car didn't have them replaced, you might want to swap the rear springs/struts with a new set. After 40K mi. the rear springs are scrap (this goes for pretty much every year 'New GTO).

*** If you don't do these 2 things, you'll notice you wear the inner aspect of the rear tires and will have to replace them often ***

- These cars have a 2-piece drive shaft...which I thought was pretty dumb for a 350 - 400 h.p. car. The center bearing rubbe boot is always bad and I'm not 100% sure if it's worth replacing. You can pick up a 1-piece D/S on the various forums or eBay between $450 and $550.

- Rear seats tend to split at the upper seams (by the headrest). Not really a problem, but somthing which is VERY common.

- The '04's had different brakes. The '05 and '06 had PBR alum. calipers, whereas the '04's had smaller and less effective brakes. I believe in 2004 the rear brake rotors were solid, and the later years were vented. It's an easy upgrade and I managed to find a set of front and rear calipers / caliper carriers for $200 shipped on eBay. I thought this was a good deal, then I decided to start accumulating parts to swap the OEM brakes with CTS-s Brembo's. (If you need a set of 05 - 06 brake calipers, I know where you could find a set pretty reasonable.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice!
Old 08-23-2016, 08:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Great feedback! thank you all for your input.

I am looking at picking up the 1pc alum driveshaft from DSS.. As I have a "hum" in the drivetrain. Initially I thought it was the wheel bearings. Replaced all 4 and still have it.

Purchased for new tires Friday and am having the car aligned this Friday.

I am thinking that perhaps the carrier bearing is causing the "wow wow wow" when cruising? I will be changing the diff oil as well on Friday. At that time I will check the carrier bearing. If that looks to be the culprit I will pick one up.

the front and rear shocks/struts are KYB and ride very nicely... I doubt the rear springs have been changed. would the worn springs sagging cause pinion angles to change adding vibrations in the drivetrain? How do I tell if the rear springs are shot?
Thanks again for the feedback. It's a great car!

Originally Posted by DOC-Z
Nice D.D.!

Things to look for:

- The bushings tend to go bad in these car's-especially for '04's. You can pick up a complete set of Energy Suspension bushings for under $200.

- There is also a problem with rear suspension sag. If the car didn't have them replaced, you might want to swap the rear springs/struts with a new set. After 40K mi. the rear springs are scrap (this goes for pretty much every year 'New GTO).

*** If you don't do these 2 things, you'll notice you wear the inner aspect of the rear tires and will have to replace them often ***

- These cars have a 2-piece drive shaft...which I thought was pretty dumb for a 350 - 400 h.p. car. The center bearing rubbe boot is always bad and I'm not 100% sure if it's worth replacing. You can pick up a 1-piece D/S on the various forums or eBay between $450 and $550.

- Rear seats tend to split at the upper seams (by the headrest). Not really a problem, but somthing which is VERY common.

- The '04's had different brakes. The '05 and '06 had PBR alum. calipers, whereas the '04's had smaller and less effective brakes. I believe in 2004 the rear brake rotors were solid, and the later years were vented. It's an easy upgrade and I managed to find a set of front and rear calipers / caliper carriers for $200 shipped on eBay. I thought this was a good deal, then I decided to start accumulating parts to swap the OEM brakes with CTS-s Brembo's. (If you need a set of 05 - 06 brake calipers, I know where you could find a set pretty reasonable.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am on original springs and only lost 1/2" of ride height from new.

Not all have issues.

Last edited by Felix C; 08-23-2016 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

would the worn springs sagging cause pinion angles to change adding vibrations in the drivetrain?

No, pinion angle is fixed. Diff is bolted to the crossmember. However, that does not mean that the angle is correct. It is close enough for a 2 piece driveshaft. If you get on it hard, the nose of the pinion will lift a bit due to the rubber donuts holding the crossmember. During regular cruising it doesn't really move.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Makes sense... thank you!
Originally Posted by dw456post
would the worn springs sagging cause pinion angles to change adding vibrations in the drivetrain?

No, pinion angle is fixed. Diff is bolted to the crossmember. However, that does not mean that the angle is correct. It is close enough for a 2 piece driveshaft. If you get on it hard, the nose of the pinion will lift a bit due to the rubber donuts holding the crossmember. During regular cruising it doesn't really move.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Purchased a DSS 1 pc alum driveshaft today.... Should ship out tomorrow. Cannot wait to install.

Quick Reply: Picked up an 04 Torrid Red