Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Did I seriously get a lemon or what???

Old 12-12-2016, 04:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Did I seriously get a lemon or what???

I know my GTO is an 04 and is going to have problems but this is flat out ridiculous. I stored my car almost a month ago here in Michigan. Started it up a couple weeks later, totally fine. Handful of days ago I go to fire her up again, it's trying to start and wouldn't. At this point dome light, head lights etc were on. Gauge cluster read ABS fault, Air Bag fault, and fuel gauge error or failure, can't remember which it was. Then the lights began to dim, seconds later no more lights. Car won't make a peep when I try and turn it on now. Even my key wouldn't lock the door (not using the lock/unlock button, but manually) Read over and over it's the BCM. Does this sound right? And is there anything I can do to fix it? I Just don't have the money for this money pit. I hear this was common with the 04's... any suggestions guys?
Old 12-12-2016, 07:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Battery good? Mine wouldn't start if I left it for 4-5 days without a tender. I just replaced mine last week cause it left me stranded.....in a Walmart parking lot.......of which they had no batteries for my car. It just turned cold here and that can be hard on a borderline battery
Old 12-13-2016, 08:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My battery drains in a few weeks if I do not start it. Use a charger/tender as it is not a DD for some years now.

Typical of all GTOs.

Last edited by Felix C; 12-13-2016 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

It's the battery... What you described is exactly what happens when the battery is very low. If you are storing the car, use a battery tender, if you can't then disconnect the battery when stored.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the responses guys. The part that has me concerned is before this ever happened the radio would scare the crap out of me and the volume would go sky high. It has said my car is overheating and the gauge would shoot up, but when I turned the car off and back on it was fine. And for quite some time now the speedometer will go into the 200's when I am going 25mph. I am patiently waiting for my buddy to give me the battery back which tested at 15% but when charged it says the battery is good. With this said, and while I anxiously wait, could it still be the battery with all of that said? And thank you for the advice on the tender, already went out and bought one.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

It's possible voltage drops can do some cooky stuff.

Food for thought thou we had a guy come into a shop in worked at once and he claimed randomly his car would do nothing when you tried to start it and all the lights innthe guage cluster would come on and all the relays would start clicking and flickering. Went through this for months and never duplicated the problem. Finally he had it towed in while it was doing it. We replaced the cluster and it still did it. We foind the car was wrecked before he bought it and the repair shop left a piece of the under the hood fuse panel out. Everytime it rained or dew fell a relay under the hood was shirt circuiting because of the water present. Water evaporates problem went away.

Not saying that's your issue but sometimes it can be something stupid simple and not something major.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree it sounds like the battery is the source of your current issues.

That said, you should still check the BCM wiring harness behind the glovebox if you have not already. Even if it's not causing a problem right now, that could be a potential headache down the road.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Well good news is after charging the battery the Goat started right up. My concern is I have read in a bunch of places a bad BCM can drain the battery and I won't know that til Spring because the tender is now on it. blackbyrd, that's crazy. The weirdest things can cause issues. Komik, is this pretty easy to do? Anything to do with electronics is definitely not my thing. One last question, if the BCM was bad would it still be showing those codes even though the battery is fully charged now? Because the ABS fault Airbag fault etc all went away.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1Goat2004
Well good news is after charging the battery the Goat started right up. My concern is I have read in a bunch of places a bad BCM can drain the battery and I won't know that til Spring because the tender is now on it. blackbyrd, that's crazy. The weirdest things can cause issues. Komik, is this pretty easy to do? Anything to do with electronics is definitely not my thing. One last question, if the BCM was bad would it still be showing those codes even though the battery is fully charged now? Because the ABS fault Airbag fault etc all went away.
The BCM is not bad so forget that. They are all like this when the battery is low...
Old 12-18-2016, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not the BCM itself, but the wiring harness that rubs against a metal bracket.

Pictures here: Check your body control module (BCM) wires, everybody
Old 12-19-2016, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by komik
Not the BCM itself, but the wiring harness that rubs against a metal bracket.

Pictures here: Check your body control module (BCM) wires, everybody
Komik is right... Check the BCM wiring behind the glove box.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like stated above, it's the battery as you found out but still check the wiring behind the glovebox for rubbing. The key not unlocking the door is just from not being used enough. You are also trying to manually move the power door lock cylinder so it requires quite a bit more effort than you think, even more when it's cold...
Old 12-22-2016, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende.../dp/B000CITK8S
Old 01-22-2017, 05:15 AM

Possibility of leaving it on a battery tender?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Did I seriously get a lemon or what???