Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Poly trans mount experience

Old 02-10-2017, 10:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

not that I really want this to devolve into another gripe thread, to a degree ill admit that there is useful info on there but for the most part its usually buried in a thread riddled with insults and name calling that im just not interested in sifting through. now the reverse of that is being called to sensitive or that I shouldnt have to be spoon fed information and do a search.....which leads back to sifting. Its a cycle that Im just not interested in being a part of. which is why I have never had an account there.

Its not unlike here in some regards, when I was a regular there was this unspoken rule that if you werent doing the same things everyone else was doing to a car it was rice...even if it wasnt. This goes beyond big mouth body kits and fart cannons and large spoilers. It was just hate on anyone doing things that werent popular in an attempt to stand out. Some of it worked some it did not, but more often then not it was just called RICE. It got so bad at one point people would create a thread in the first post they shared they'd end it with flame suit on. I kind of quit posting around that time. My car was pretty finished at that point and I was doing things you couldnt just buy off the shelf and I felt there wasnt anything here for me. Then I got my goat and started coming back as I didnt know much about the platform.

I recognize that this is a pretty quiet corner of the internet for a car that isnt exactly being sought after heavily. If you can make it past the insults you can find some useful stuff over there, but its not as easy as it should be.

if rotating it had no effect I was gonna put my stock one back on just to see
Old 02-12-2017, 07:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Rotated the shaft. Wow different car all together. Still has a rythmic shimmy in 4th at cruising speeds but as a whole the car is so much smoother. Hopefully that's not just because it was a warm day today.

The only downside is in neutral it vibrates a lot until you get under 35.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:36 PM
TECH Veteran

well I figured out what the problem was....unfortunately the hard way. Driving down the interstate at 75mph the u joints on the pinion side fell apart. Fun feeling I can assure you and im lucky nothing got in a bind or it could have been really bad. I was able to get onto the shoulder after someone was nice and blocked traffic for me. one of the u joints on the shaft knuckle is what came apart. I the shaft had been on teh car since the 2nd of jan but never saw more than 40mph on my daily commute thats all of 4 minutes. this was the first exposure to 70 MPH so either the ring clip wasnt seated all the way or was inferior and it just couldnt hold it. Already been in touch with Hinson and the manufacturer. I had to pull it to send it off before they will replace it which is my only gripe about the service and having to eat a 260 tow bill. They are sending me a box to return mine in and I had to put the stocker back on to get the car back on the road since its my daily.

The rep at the manufacturer has been great to deal with atleast. So for now its back to stock. In hind site the vibration should have garnered more of my attention than it did.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

Damn, sorry to hear. At least you found the problem, right? Huzzah?
Old 02-17-2017, 09:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Old 02-17-2017, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The u joint came apart on a new 1 piece driveshaft? Wow,
Old 02-17-2017, 09:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Yep less than 500 miles
Attached Thumbnails Poly trans mount experience-img_20170213_193126636.jpg  
Old 03-03-2017, 09:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Getting a new shaft next week
Old 03-10-2017, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Looks like you may have found your issue but for what it's worth I have a few hundred miles on a Hinson trans mount (I've had their drop engine mounts for a few thousand) and the noise and vibration is almost unbearable. I get a wicked hum that had me checking my axles, stubs and diff to make sure everything was OK. I'm trying to wait on the mount breaking in but I think I may throw the stock mount back in there and see if I get some relief.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:09 PM
TECH Veteran

I have there stock engine mounts and tranny mount. After I indexed the shaft it was a super smooth car. A little smoother now that its back on the stock 2 piece shaft. Id give it some time and see from jan to now it feels completely different from when I first installed it. My first drive after install I felt the same way you do though it was awful.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:55 PM

So, I have been dealing with this same type of issue. I had replaced the mounts with hinson products.. car felt fantastic..

Had a hum and vibration, which I though were to be from my carrier bearing being kaput. Changed that and the guibos, and now I really fell the intense vibrations. I've had these mounts on thru the 'break-in" period everyone is talking about. Since then, I've replaced my rotors and brakes (they needed to be anyway), I've balanced my tires, I've balanced my drive shaft, and I'm STILL getting this vibration. It has become a lot less since I've balanced the shaft, but I'm about ready to call it quits and just go back to the original mounts, at least for the transmission anyway.

Blackbyrd, have you figured it out, yet?
Old 03-20-2017, 10:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Once I indexed the shaft before the u joint failure. Car was super smooth. I had to put shims between the tranny crossbars and the body to get my drive angles to line up. My next step was gonna be to get the angles closer to 3 degrees. Did you compensate for the height difference in the mounts at all? That's why I had to shim the OE was nearly a .25" shorter

I haven't got around to installing my new shaft yet. Kid got sick and had to go out of town, I've got a surgery scheduled this Friday that will probably keep me out of car stuff for a week. I'm hoping I might have time to do it one night this week
Old 04-06-2017, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Just curious what does turning the driveshaft 180 do to correct vibe problems?

Last edited by L78steve; 04-06-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by L78steve
Just curious what does turning the driveshaft 180 do to correct vibe problems?
Me too.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:17 PM
TECH Veteran

The first go around yes Indexing the shaft eleminated nearly all the driveline vibration (except in neutral) I cant say how much of that was shaft related since that shaft failed.

I got my new one but im still not physically able to install the other one yet and start the process over. Ill chime in once I get it installed. frustrating not being able to install it as its been setting in my garage for about 2 weeks now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Poly trans mount experience