Old 02-12-2017, 05:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I "need" a tune?

installing kooks longtubes
catless mids
xpipe
and spintechs out the back

basically from what I read, handhelds are garbage, and I can't justify spending the cash, and driving 2 hours to get a dyno tune for just exhaust.

unless I "need" to?

I've heard of some cars bricking their motors because people do exhaust work and dont tune it, is that the case with this? Will it run like crap without a tune?

If I need a tune, I think for now I"d go with diablosport just for now, until I start doing real engine work, then go to a shop
Old 02-12-2017, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

you dont "Need" a tune..but it will make it drive far better. Also if your not going to do any further mods why not spend a couple bucks to make it drive alot better with a tune.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Slickgoat05
you dont "Need" a tune..but it will make it drive far better. Also if your not going to do any further mods why not spend a couple bucks to make it drive alot better with a tune.
I'm planning on doing a full engine rebuild probably next winter, but may go ahead and put heads/intake and stuff like that soon. I would just see a proper dyno tune as a waste for now.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

As stated, you do not need a tune, but you will not get nearly the bang for the bucks you spending without one. In my opinion, the difference is worth the money now. FWIW, many reputable tuners will not charge you full price twice if you bring it back with additional mods. I would vote for a tune now.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you need it? No

Should you get one? Yes

The car will run a bit lean with LT's and no tune and you're leaving a good amount of power on the table. Spending the $400 or so is well worth it.

Originally Posted by SJFGTO
FWIW, many reputable tuners will not charge you full price twice if you bring it back with additional mods. I would vote for a tune now.
This! My tuner charges $450 for dyno and street tune, $200 for re-tunes.

Quick Reply: Do I "need" a tune?