Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

2004 gto potential buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2004 gto potential buy

i'm in the process of buying a 2004 gto. its from a dealer and they have zero idea on the history.

it has longtubes, an exhaust,i'm guessing its the slp loud mouth and a cam. Its pretty peppy. my 2 concerns are the mileage, it has 185k. I'm not afraid of high mileage, I bought my silverado with 180k and its been rock solid for the last 3 years and 20k. just wondering what other issues that would bring. My other concern is the exhaust, Its obnoxiously loud. 21 y/o me would have loved it, but i'm not trying to **** off the neighborhood now. What is the quietest catback i can get and will it bolt up to the headers? there didnt seem to be anything weird going on under the car. I remember reading back in the day that you have to get extra exhaust pipe for the headers to connect to the stock exhaust, is that still the case?

anything else i should keep an eye out for? i'm going to pop off the glove box to check the harness and i understand that i will need to be doing some bushing and such.

the car is 6.5k.

I also want stock wheels to put on it, so if anyone has a set in nj for sale, i would be interested. same goes for the used exhaust.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Magnaflow has a quiet catback. I think you can do as well for much less at a shop which does mandrel bent tubing.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mid pipes connect the LT's to the catback. Most of the after market catbacks bolted directly up to the resonator (stock midpipes). You can find stock catbacks really cheap. Does the exhaust exit out of just the back drivers side of the car or has it been modded for the dual exhaust (both sides)?
Old 03-03-2017, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's still in the stock location on the drivers idea, which doesn't bother me. Is there anything else major I should look for in my inspection besides the harness in the glove box? Thanks for the help, I was looking at the magnaflow
Old 03-06-2017, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the inside edges of the front tires for wear, all three years had strut rub issues. The 04's also have other electrical "BUGS": phantom horn beeps, steering wheel radio controls act goofy, and the ignition key cylinder gets hung up/jammed and has to be replaced or "dremmel modded".
Old 03-13-2017, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

check the door locks and trunk popping function.

Quick Reply: 2004 gto potential buy