Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

T56 trans for sale outright?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default T56 trans for sale outright?

Any one know of a place to get a T56 trans without paying an arm and a leg? I have an 04 roller GTO that I'm building and need a trans. Cheapest thing I can find on the net is just over $3k. I've been cruising CL trying to catch one out of a camaro or trans am but it's difficult to scoop them up in my local area. I've also thought about possibly going with a TKO 5 speed unit, has anyone on here done that with a goat? My car is only going to be a cruiser, no tracking. Staying NA with plans of 550hp to the wheels. Oh, and I don't want to go auto either, that takes all the fun out of it.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I am on the search as well. Same area haha
Old 03-27-2017, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about to go Automatic. I will sell you my T56 just went through it nothing wrong with it fresh fluid 72000 miles on it McLeod clutch less than 2000 miles on it for $2250...
Old 03-28-2017, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

Unfortunately, even used T56s command a high price. I don't think anyone has done a TKO in a GTO because most have already come with a 6 speed. I don't know what the overall length of the TKO is in relation to the T56, but you may need to lengthen the driveshaft a bit. The TKO also is designed to use an older style bellhousing, so you would need to pick up a 611 bellhousing. Not a big deal, but something to consider.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the reply muhthugga. I don't really want to go the TKO route, it was just a thought really because I'm going to have a hard time coughing up the dough for the 6 speed. In the grand scheme of things though, the transmission is just as important as that big LS engine under the hood so I'll probably end up buying a new one from Summit.

Another question unrelated to this thread for you guys, my car was originally an LS1 GTO. I am putting in an 6.0L iron block with LS3 heads and intake manifold. My question is on the throttle body. I understand the ls1 had a cable driven throttle body and I did confirm my gas pedal is not DBW type. Is there any benefit from cable drive to DBW throttle bodies? At this point I could go either way, the cable drive seems easier to implement in that I have a cable style pedal, but I don't think the bracket for the cable will mount to my intake properly. If I go DBW, I'll obviously have to get the DBW style pedal. Any thoughts?
Old 03-29-2017, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

Get a Nick Williams 92mm throttle body and then call up Scoggin Dickey and get their cable bracket that bolts to the back of a NW throttle body. Converting to a DBW setup would be a huge pain in the ***.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:13 PM
10 Second Club

Contact Mark, he should have a few and if not could locate one for you relatively quickly

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/6067990420.html
Old 04-10-2017, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

muhthugga, Why is converting to a DBW setup a huge pain in the ***? Keep in mind I have a ROLLER gto with no motor, trans, or harness. I plan on getting a PSI standalone harness from Hinson for an LS3 vehicle and trying to locate a DBW pedal somewhere if I go the DBW route. That doesn't seem any harder than buying the bracket for the cable drive throttle body, except that the pedal might cost me a little more $.

gastiresoil, your link didn't work. PM a phone # or contact email please.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Vemon
gastiresoil, your link didn't work. PM a phone # or contact email please.
If this ad is still posted.... the parts are still available. I make changes as soon as things sell
Due to waaaay too much spam call me if you are interested in parts please

These are all '99-02 style Fbody parts however will fit '97-04 engines
'97-04 front engine timing cover $25
'05-15 front engine timing cover with sensor $65
'97-13 rear engine cover $25
'97-04 lifter valley cover $25
'97-04 lifter trays (4) $25 total
24x reluctor wheel $20

'98-99 Fbody style parts
All off of a '99 Fbody LS1
charcoal canister and misc PCV parts
$20

VDO fuel pressure gauge with white background and black lettering. New in box $40
VDO 0-250 degree water temp gauge (not pictured. It is all black with black trim ring, white lettering, red needle) Like new. No blems $30

Some T56 parts I have for sale
(4) LS1 Fbody slave cylinders (slides over input shaft) AP Racing $90 NEW
(10) GM Fbody pilot bearing (goes in the back of the crankshaft) $20
(3) LS1 Fbody bellhousing $280 NEW
(1) '03-04 Cobra T56 input shaft 10 spline $sold
(1) '93-06 T-56 (Fbody/GTO) tailhousing $sold
(1) '04 CTS-V tailhousing $sold
(1) '93-2006 Fbody/GTO output/main shaft $100
(2) T56 cases (center main portion) for Cobra/Vette/Fbody/GTO no internals etc $150
(5) T56 bolt kits (BH to T56, BH to engine, 2 slave cyl bolts) $35

McLeod twin disc clutches:
pricing for most applications....
RST clutch/pressure plate 800hp rating $752
RXT clutch/pressure plate 1000hp rating $936
These clutches have incredibly light pedal pressure and non grabby engagement. IMO best clutch out there for the money. I run one of these in my 1400hp turbo LS9 car!
flywheel is additional. Balancing offered at $120 for flywheel/clutch assembly and highly recommended!

I can also get NEW Magnum T56 transmissions which are made by Tremec to be a retrofit into many vehicles including the '98-02 Camaro. Most of my customers are using these in muscle cars, RX-7 and 240sx swaps, C10 trucks, and just about anything you can think of. They are not a total bolt in for the Fbody; however they can be made to work as I've sold them before to those end users. There is no provision for a factory style torque arm on them; however if you have an aftermarket BMR or similar style torque arm it will work
These new transmissions have TR6060 internals which are the same used in the ZR1/Z06/2010+ Camaro/Viper. They feature wider gear faces, stronger steel used in all components, larger diameter shafts, larger bearings to support more load, triple synchros, beefier case, 31 spline output shaft.... the list goes on. These shift better, are miles stronger than an older T56, massive shifter positioning options, internal gear sprayer for ultimate cooling/lubrication under extreme conditions. Please call me for pricing. I am ultra competitive. Rated at 900hp+. I'm pushing over 1100rwhp thru one at over 160mph in the 1/4 without issues.

I can also get ANY Tremec transmission or parts, Richmond 5spd/6spd/ TKO600, GM transmission related parts, McLeod clutches, Quicktime SFI bellhousing, GM LS1 slave cylinders, , Wilwood brakes, Holley efi, Speedhut gauges, FuelInjectorConnection items, Walbro and AEM fuel pumps, any BrianTooleyRacing,com part on the website, Cammotion cams, Callies cranks/rods etc.

Please contact Mark 415 260.87 six eight PLEASE NO PHONE CALLS BEFORE 8am or after 7PM

Quick Reply: T56 trans for sale outright?