Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Going from WS6 to GTO

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 12:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going from WS6 to GTO

I've got an '02 WS6 and was noticing the great deals on the GTO's. I can get one new for less than I paid for mine used. I was wondering how many of you have gone from a TA to a GTO and what your opinions were? The good, the bad, any regrets?
Daniel
Old 09-26-2004, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I test drove a M6 GTO last week. It is a fine car with lots of potential. Room under the hood to work. You can even SEE behind the rear of the intake manifold. But I could not bring myself to let my WS6 go. I have done too much and its now a part of me. All I can say is go drive one first and then decide.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:29 AM
Teching In

im about to do that, i love the gto and the deals right now are too good to pass up
Old 09-26-2004, 08:27 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out page 2 of this thread to see my post-test drive thoughts on the GTO.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6968

Needless to say, I'm not going to make the switch.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:55 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ram-it
I have done too much and its now a part of me. All I can say is go drive one first and then decide.
I hear ya there! I like the new Goat too, but my 'bird is basically paid for and I've done so much to it. I'm rather attached to it at this point.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Jared-let me know what your feelings are after you get it.
One of my reasons for wanting the GTO is that i'm planning on getting married in a year or two and think that it would make a better family car. But I don't want to regret getting rid of the TA B/C that's all i've ever driven and I'm trying to collect every generation TA. Right now I have a 78 and 85. But I'm thinking I can get the GTO and then when it's paid off find another fourth gen to buy.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:57 PM
Teching In

yeah i'll let you know man
Old 09-26-2004, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by T/A Daniel
I've got an '02 WS6 and was noticing the great deals on the GTO's. I can get one new for less than I paid for mine used. I was wondering how many of you have gone from a TA to a GTO and what your opinions were? The good, the bad, any regrets?
Daniel
I almost went from the Z28 to the GTO. It is a more mature T/A. It sounds really good stock though. I would have easily traded my magnaflow for the stock GTO exhaust. It had much better visibility, but just didn't do it for me handling and performance wise. And the only thing about the styling I didn't like was the hood doesn't look like it quite fits on the car quite right. But w/e. It is an LS1, so you can never under-estimate one and you can get one for dirt cheap. I did decide to keep the Z28 for now though. You can't go wrong with either car though. I would drive one once and think if you could see yourself driving one of those over your T/A.

-Todd
Old 09-26-2004, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
And the only thing about the styling I didn't like was the hood doesn't look like it quite fits on the car quite right.
-Todd
Does this hood look better? OE was a little too bland for me, so I put this one on ASAP.

Jason
Old 09-26-2004, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JayStew
Does this hood look better? OE was a little too bland for me, so I put this one on ASAP.

Jason
hahahah, in the other thread we are talking, I mentioned it. I love it

Send us a side pic too!

-Todd
Old 09-27-2004, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

I'll start a thread.
Wait. Already did.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=hood+pics
Old 09-27-2004, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JayStew
I'll start a thread.
Wait. Already did.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=hood+pics
Can't seem to see them. Your signature picture has also disapeared for me, too I get a small red X.

-Todd
Old 09-27-2004, 12:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
Can't seem to see them. Your signature picture has also disapeared for me, too I get a small red X.

-Todd
I checked my host site. "We are experiencing technical difficulties."
Old 09-27-2004, 11:37 AM
Teching In

I had an 01 WS6 and traded it for my GTO a couple months ago. I really miss the hell outta my WS6....but to me, there's not use comparing the two cars. They have the same engine, but I never imagined the two cars would be quite so different. As has been stated in a couple other threads.....and I agree...the GTO is NOT a replacement for the F-bodies. I absolutely LOVE my GTO and I LOVED my Firebirds too...but for different reasons.

The GTO is a much better family car, no question about it. The kids fit in there much better....having a real trunk (ok..more of a real trunk than an F-body!) is nice, and it still has plenty of get-up and go. I don't think it has as much of a sporty/muscle car feel as the F-body did though. The only problems I have with it are minor. I don't like that there's no place to put the gas cap when fueling up and I don't want to leave it hanging down the side of the car. I think the speakers could be a lot better.....I think the Monsoon system in the WS6 sounded a LOT better. I think the visibility (rearward) in the GTO is a bit lacking compared to the Firebirds. The interior is nice in both the WS6 and the GTO, IMO, but I, personally rattle around in the GTO a bit much for my pref...and the reach to the gear shift is a bit further than I'd prefer. I think that's just from being a bit of a smaller person though! I don't hear anyone else complaining about all the room in the GTO! Other than that, I love it.....I just love it differently! And I know I'll have another 4th Gen V8 Firebird. I just had to jump on the chance of getting a GTO!
Old 09-27-2004, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am waiting for the 2005, but I am also very hesitant to making the change. I love my SS and also love the fact that I don't have to worry about GM making the next model year better than the last (for now...). It's nice knowing you have the newest year SS available, even as the years change. I just want to start modding an LS2 ASAP to stay with the learning curve here on the boards. Since I can't swing the Vette payment - The GTO is it for me!
Old 10-02-2004, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Well i couldn't resist I picked up a impulse blue/blue M6 today and i have to say the ride quality and creature comforts are 100% better than the TA. Don't get me wrong I loved the TA and will have another one one day but this made more sense at this time in my life. Here's a couple of pics. I'll have some more tommorrow when I Zaino it
Attached Thumbnails Going from WS6 to GTO-gto-1.jpg   Going from WS6 to GTO-gto-2.jpg  
Old 10-03-2004, 07:40 AM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had 3 F-Body's over the last 17 years. Most recent was 89 TTA. The GTO doesn't compare to brute strength as the TTA was a good 2 seconds/almost 20mph faster in the quarter. But the GTO has it hands down in comfort and all around driving. Where the TTA and my WS6 for that matter, would handle great but kill you in the process, the GTO does a pretty good job and it won't hurt the kidneys

The GTO is a much better built car than an F-Body ever was. Its a nice step up.

I miss the F-Body's I've had as they were something special to me but the GTO is really a better car.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:44 AM
Teching In

Here's a few mor pics. ZAINO ROCKS!
Attached Thumbnails Going from WS6 to GTO-gto-s4.jpg   Going from WS6 to GTO-gto-s2.jpg   Going from WS6 to GTO-gto-f3.jpg   Going from WS6 to GTO-gto-seat-1.jpg  
Old 10-04-2004, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looks sweet! Impulse Blue would be my first choice. Excellent choice
Old 10-04-2004, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've got both and drive them back to back regularly (if not daily). Both have plusses and minusses. Both have distinct and different personalities. The only common thread they share is the engine and the Divisional name placed on it.

I've explained it like this numerous times. The Camaro is like a sledgehammer swinging in a china shop. It's like shooting at small birds with a 12 gauge shotgun. It gets the job done and adds a big exclamation point afterwords. But in the process, it beats you up from it's lack of refinement. Much the same as not proplerly bracing that 12 gauge against your shoulders when you pull the trigger. If you don't, it makes you pay for it.

The GTO on the other hand is a fine piece of precision surgical equipment. It may not generate the absolute maximum numbers in all performance categories (stock obviously) that the F-Body does, but hits 99.95% of them in every one of those categories. In the process, it rewards the driver in a more refined, civile, user friendly package. When the G/F won't ride with you in the Camaro, but will in your GTO, that kinda tells you something.

That doesn't mean I'm down on the F-Body. There are days (like today) where I just want to declare full scale military ops on the world and that's when I pull out the Camaro as it's the appropriate "tool" for the job.

Quick Reply: Going from WS6 to GTO