Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Drive By Wire

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 05:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive By Wire

So, the 2004 GTO does not feature the drive by wire throttle system and the 2005 GTO does, correct? I spoke to a tech at NOS that says you can't run any of their existing NOS systems on teh drive by wire cars safely, in his opinion, and that a kit is in development for Spring 05 release. If the 04 GTO indeed predates the drive by wire technology, can you run a basic LS/LT1 wet kit on the 04 GTO?
Old 01-01-2005, 12:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

drive by wire has a tq management pcm strategy in it where the throttle blades close up to like 30% through shifts, and thats probablly why they say they cant use 04 stuff on it, with a custom tune to disable that theres no reason to i could see why there would be a problem,
Old 01-01-2005, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

As far as I know, most NOS brand nitrous systems use a cheep switch activated at WOT by the throttle cable or such at the throttle body. With the drive by wire, it has nothing to indicate it is as WOT. However, most drag racers who are nitrous regulars will tell you to get a window switch which watches the engine RPM's and activates it only when between X,XXX value and X,XXX value with it shutting off just before your shift point (and before redline). While you still need a WOT 'switch', their are ways to get that as well though i'm not 100% sure electronics on the GTO are compatable. (Basicly it is a 'switch' that watches the throttle position sensor and when it is at WOT it is 'ON' and below that it is 'OFF'.)
Old 01-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

the cheap WOT throttle switch is to place one behind the gas pedel.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Resident

Or that.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CSiJason
Or that.
lol they do have electronis nitrous controllers for this reason.

Last edited by hink9; 01-01-2005 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:41 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

my 03 truck has drive by wire and i sprayed a 100shot nx at it when it was bone stock. i could see the blade close to as little as 40% at the shift and was a little worried about spraying at a closed blade but never had a problem. since then i used edit to program out the TM that was closing the blade.

i have my WOT switch down by the pedal. if your worried about the blade closing and have no way to program it out then you can get one of the voltage controled WOT sensors that you just hook right up to the TPS sensor. when the computer closes the throttle the WOT switch will see it isn't open all the way and shut off the nitrous till the computer open the throttle back up and turns the nitrous back on.

Quick Reply: Drive By Wire