Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

BF Goodrich Tires No Good

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up BF Goodrich Tires No Good

I had my car in for service this past week and after reading some posts on here and noticing my steering wheel vibrating I decided to have them run it on a roadforce machine. They told me the tires installed at the factory are way off spec and they ordered me 4 new tires under warranty!!!! Its the same tires, but since they are made in the U.S. they are better quality. They are putting them on in a week so I better get busy smoking these old ones huh??????
Old 01-28-2005, 05:22 AM
TECH Resident

I agree, the stock tires are pretty much trash. Not very sticky in any conditions and they are prone to vibration and tracking in road grooves real bad.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:24 AM

Yeah I'm not sure why the went with the KDWS instead of the KDW. Big difference in performance.

You should have the dealer swap the rears with BFG drag radials while they're at it.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:32 AM
12 Second Club

they did KDWS's because some people use this as there daily in the winter....you try Dry/Wet tires in the snow and ice....it aint pretty

KDWS's arent bad tires my buddy's got them on his Z nearly no tire spin what-so-ever. occasionally it will but its minor. at a track he pulled 2.0-2.1 60' all day. so they are not bad tires

They couold have put better stock tires on there however or atleast a diff size or something of that nature

just my .02
Old 01-28-2005, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

They aren't bad compared to the Continental Contisport NS1's I have on my car now....but then again I have only seen snow since I put the new tires on...LOL.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i put these same ties on my camaro when i had it,after a couple thousand miles they shook real bad and drifted on the road.seems like they are starting to do the same thing on my goat.im going to take it back and see what they say
Old 01-28-2005, 01:26 PM
TECH Resident

I tell you this, my car gets *** happy in 1st through 3rd gear at any speed under 60mph if I get into the power much. I'm already debating on what tire to swap on the 18's i'll put on the car this spring.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

These tires stick like glue compared to the GSC's or F1's used on the F-Body's!

This car I actually have to make work to light them up, The Camaro I just let out the clutch (and yea, I know there's a slight difference in power), but before I did it, the tires just blew out like nothing.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CMNTMXR57
These tires stick like glue compared to the GSC's or F1's used on the F-Body's!

This car I actually have to make work to light them up, The Camaro I just let out the clutch (and yea, I know there's a slight difference in power), but before I did it, the tires just blew out like nothing.
I love the F1's on my SS they did a pretty good job of giving me a 2.1 60ft time.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CSiJason
I agree, the stock tires are pretty much trash. Not very sticky in any conditions and they are prone to vibration and tracking in road grooves real bad.

I've been wondering about the tracking. crossing over the painted line on a highway is almost scarry, the car jumps left then right. I've got a 180k Mazda that doesn't jump around this bad. Seems a bit lousy to have to replace tires with under 17k miles on them.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:27 AM
TECH Junkie

These tires are great if you have to drive in many different conditions. I just drove home form work in the snow, and i have to say i was very impressed. I may pick up a spare set of wheels to keep some nitto's on in the summer months, but for now i like mt BFG's.

I used to cut 2.0's on the F1's on my WS6...i was never impressed with those tires.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Posted this in the other tire thread too:

I can consistently pull 1.8 sec 60' times with them in my '04 GTO. They are not that bad. I'll tell you how they do on a road course after Feb 20 when I take it to VIR.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

mine vibrate something feirce when its bellow 50 degrees out.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FlyinGTP
mine vibrate something feirce when its bellow 50 degrees out.
It's not unheard of for a little bit of flat spotting to occur overnight. It should smooth out though after a short time driving. That would be really wierd it it didn't.

Cory
Old 01-31-2005, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Matt SS
I love the F1's on my SS they did a pretty good job of giving me a 2.1 60ft time.
You're comparing a properly prepped launch pad with lots of VHT down to help "Stick" your tires vs. the common asphalt/concrete combination at the local stoplight on the street that ISN'T prepped.

I cut 2.1 60' times with my GS-C's too, but for some reason cut them to 1.9 - 1.8 with a set of BFG Drag Radials.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CHarris
It's not unheard of for a little bit of flat spotting to occur overnight. It should smooth out though after a short time driving. That would be really wierd it it didn't.

Cory
i don't think so. Tires should not flat spot over night. I'm ase master tech for bmw and we see lots of issues like this with tires being flat out junk when they road force ballance them. I'm not overly concerned about it though as i'm putting some 16 inch wheels on.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

I had a set of KDWS on my Caprice with SS wheels on them. These things used to track at any little groove in the road! I can't believe the difference on my GTO, they handle great and don't track at all. I have pulled a 1.9 60' on these tires.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FlyinGTP
i don't think so. Tires should not flat spot over night. I'm ase master tech for bmw and we see lots of issues like this with tires being flat out junk when they road force ballance them. I'm not overly concerned about it though as i'm putting some 16 inch wheels on.
Okay... but you still said they vibrate when it is below 50 degrees outside. Which I understand to be only when it is under 50 degrees. If that is the case, then on warm days the tires don't vibrate. An out of balance tire will vibrate all the the time - not just when cold. I don't see how it could be anything other than cold flatspotting.

I've had quite a few soft compound tires do this. Big offroad truck tires do it too. Once the tires are warmed up it goes away.

Cory
Old 02-11-2005, 08:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nutiger
I had a set of KDWS on my Caprice with SS wheels on them. These things used to track at any little groove in the road! I can't believe the difference on my GTO, they handle great and don't track at all. I have pulled a 1.9 60' on these tires.

Not all Tires are the same. OEM tires are different than aftermarket tires, even if they have the same logo. OEM automanufacturers tune the tire for the specific car, just another **** to tune along with shocks, bushings etc..

I tore up the original set on my car after a track day, and got some KDWS's from Discount Tire to replace them. Steering response is different, snow traction is different (perhaps because there were a few 32's more tread) and straight line traction was different too.

I agree with you, I ran KDWS's on my Impala SS and on my Lt1 wagon, never again, I only got them for my Goat because I got a 40% discount on them since they leveraged some sort of "warranty on tread damage". I basically tore up the treads on the road course by overheating the tires. It chunked up pretty bad..

Quick Reply: BF Goodrich Tires No Good