Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Forced induction on an 05

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 07:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Question Forced induction on an 05

Looking to lightly modify a daily driver. 2005 6 speed GTO. Suspension is taken care of, just need your guys opinion on the right power adder....supercharger or a turbo(or two)?

I'm an experienced technican, i've installed countless blowers, from magnachargers, powerdynes, prochargers, and vortechs on different types of cars, from hummers to F-bodies, to mustangs. I plan to do the install on this car also. I like superchargers but, would rather see a turbo on the car. I don't know who makes a turbo or twin turbo kit for the GTO.

This isn't going to be a race car, we have a car for that. Just a good, 500+ horse daily driver. Money is an issue, so please, no 8k plus suggestions. Thanks in advance for your knowledge and input.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Looking to lightly modify a daily driver. 2005 6 speed GTO. Suspension is taken care of, just need your guys opinion on the right power adder....supercharger or a turbo(or two)?

I'm an experienced technican, i've installed countless blowers, from magnachargers, powerdynes, prochargers, and vortechs on different types of cars, from hummers to F-bodies, to mustangs. I plan to do the install on this car also. I like superchargers but, would rather see a turbo on the car. I don't know who makes a turbo or twin turbo kit for the GTO.

This isn't going to be a race car, we have a car for that. Just a good, 500+ horse daily driver. Money is an issue, so please, no 8k plus suggestions. Thanks in advance for your knowledge and input.

Seems to be the million dollar question....

So,...the only forced induction piece for an 05 is a magnacharger. No procharger YET?....No Kenne Bell YET......No turbo kit, yet. Am I correct on this or no?
Old 04-08-2005, 11:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A twin turbo LS2 GTO would be one heck of a daily driver. Imagine the gas milage!!
Old 04-08-2005, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Compression is going to be your biggest problem no matter what FI you go with. I've always liked the Magnacharger, mostly because it's legal and reliable.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by xp3nd4bl3
Compression is going to be your biggest problem no matter what FI you go with. I've always liked the Magnacharger, mostly because it's legal and reliable.

True, the plans were to keep everything modest, no crazy PSI. I just removed, one magnacharger, and installed another one on a hummer, all in a few hours. Removal is complete on one, the new installation only has the blower torqued down. I do them fast, and I feel that it's the easiest kit to work with. Prochargers make power, and it's my FAVORITE supercharger, I also just installed a D1SC on a hummer, pushing 11psi, which I haven't driven yet, due to waiting on the PCM. ironicly, there all in a line next to eachother. The procharger wasn't "hard",...it was just a pain in the ***. The kits are really different.

A single turbo, or twin is what I'd really like to do. Or even the Kenne Bell if it was available.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
True, the plans were to keep everything modest, no crazy PSI. I just removed, one magnacharger, and installed another one on a hummer, all in a few hours. Removal is complete on one, the new installation only has the blower torqued down. I do them fast, and I feel that it's the easiest kit to work with. Prochargers make power, and it's my FAVORITE supercharger, I also just installed a D1SC on a hummer, pushing 11psi, which I haven't driven yet, due to waiting on the PCM. ironicly, there all in a line next to eachother. The procharger wasn't "hard",...it was just a pain in the ***. The kits are really different.

A single turbo, or twin is what I'd really like to do. Or even the Kenne Bell if it was available.

...and as far as legal,..not really worried about warranty or emissions concerns, due to being in an area that doesn't have smog test. Not to mention I have alot of friends, at alot of dealerships.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:35 PM
Banned

With 11:1 compression it seems the SAFE boost level would be 3psi. What good is that?! Boosting an LS2 will need eigther larger chamber heads or different pistons.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:07 PM

Exactly my argument. I wonder what some stock 6.0L heads and some thicker head gaskets would do for the CR.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:15 PM
Banned

Exactly my argument. I wonder what some stock 6.0L heads and some thicker head gaskets would do for the CR.
It will drop the CR by roughly 1/2 of a point.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've got plenty of 6.0 liter heads...so if that was the case, it won't be a problem.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:37 AM
9 Second Club

The only turbo kit that might be cheap enough is the STS. Personally I would prefer a Supercharger on an American made car, but it obviously isnt up to me!
Old 04-09-2005, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

I believe STS is working on an 05 GTO kit already. Their is no reason you couldnt run lower boost with it as long as tuning is on the safe side.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CSiJason
I believe STS is working on an 05 GTO kit already. Their is no reason you couldnt run lower boost with it as long as tuning is on the safe side.

I agree. We've considered the STS system, even to carry it at our dealership but.........number one, i'm still not 100% sold on the whole distance from the turbo(muffler location) to the intake manifold. I dunno, just not a big fan of it. Not saying it doesn't work just, personally, i'm not sure about it. Number two, from what i've seen from the STS videos, i'm not a big fan of being able to see everything hanging down(the turbo and pipeing). I kinda dig the factory 05 rear valance and the duel tips.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Resident

Yea, the whole thing hanging down is a little odd. Not only does it look strange, it would be an easy target for someone looking for a turbo for their Civic, Ebay or whatever. Plus I fear it would hit pretty hard on some of the speedbumps i've had to go over before.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:43 PM
Teching In

Strange or not, I kinda like the STS kit... and if ricer boyz come calling, they better consider Florida's concealed carry law in all its implications.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

http://www.proturbokits.com/news/newsDetail.asp?id=79

Quick Reply: Forced induction on an 05