Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

How are you guys liking your GTO's? Recommended?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 09:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How are you guys liking your GTO's? Recommended?

With some family issues that have gone on lately... wife has given me the green light to pursue another project. I was thinking maybe an LS1 powered camaro... but then thought about a GTO as well.
Are the LS2's that much more powerful?? I would prefer a M6, but would buy an A4 ift he price was right.
What do you guys love about these cars, and what dont you like?
Much appreciated...
Thanks for your input.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:31 AM
Launching!

I THINK, that the LS2 engines are overly controlled by the computer right now. Knock retard, throttle postion, traction control, etc., are keeping the GTO from really shining in anything but optimal weather (low humidity, and between 60 and 75 degrees.) I am sure that somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.

Programmers have not come out yet for the LS2. I am sure that when they do, the car will fly.

The independent rear makes the car feel soft on launch (I'm talking from owning an '04 by the way.) but it tracks VERY straight even while spinning the tires. It's an easy car to drive at the limit. Steering is speed sensitive, so it feels loose at low speeds but clicks into a nice firm feel at high speeds.

I personnaly have never considered the GTO as a drag race terror, even though the times are consistently within 2 - 3 tenths of the F-bodys. I have a TR 224/227 .563/ .569 114 in the car now and picked up 40 horsepower with a tune and stock (manifold back) exhaust. But I am an LS1 so there.

If you're looking for a weekend only car to rip the **** out of the boulevard, my opinion is that you get a loan for the equivalent amount that the GTO would cost and swap an ls1 into an RX-7 or a 944. If you want a very fast cruiser that can out handle all but the most top end and worked over cars, get the GTO

Working on the engine is a dream come true.

Oh, you want opinions, sorry. I traded my '99 Trans Am in for the GTO. The GTO is much more solid, much better interior, much better stereo, much better ride (especially on rough roads) and actually does get alot of complements, which is a perk I was not expecting.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:45 AM
TECH Junkie

I am happy with my GTO. It handles great, rides great, and it's quicker than about 8-% of the cars on the road around here (soon to add some serious power though.... ). If i were you i'd get an '04 because of how cheap they are going for now (i've heard of more than one selling for less than $20K now). With the money you save you can more than make up the performance difference between the two. Just remember, these are not drag cars and they are heavy.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:06 AM
Banned

i LOVE my GTO. the LS2 will be faster, but there is a lot more aftermarket parts for the LS1. the fit, finish, and ride quality is AWSOME. I have the m6 and if you get the m6, you'll really want to change out the shifter, cause the stocker really lacks... the nittos really helped with getting rid of my wheel hop cause they just stick soo much better. there are things that can go wrong with the car, but name a car that doesnt have problems. (and dont give me that honda bull **** cause they got alot more TSBs on the civic then my GTO!) my only real complaint is that i cant drive the car without someone wanting to race ALL THE FREAKING TIME!!!!! when i first got her a year ago, no one knew what they were, so i got left alone, but now everyone wants to see if they can get a peice of the goat!
Old 08-04-2005, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

id rather have the M6 just for the "fun" factor. any idea what i can expect to pay for an 04 m6 with decent mileage?
Old 08-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

Great family car. Nice comfy ride,because it weighs the same as your grandpas 1969 caddy converible.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:21 PM
Staging Lane

19-23K for an M6 GTO just depends on the market in your area.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:06 PM
Teching In

2004 M6 with Lingenfelter CAI, CORSA Sport, SLP rear bar and BMR strut brace has it performing and handling as must about the most fun, daily driver in recent memory for me. Past daily drivers have included 2000 Audi S4, 2000 C5, 2004 GLI, and 2003 M3.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:00 PM
Launching!

Geez, don't tell the M3 guys that you like the GTO more. They'll have hissy fits for weeks
Old 08-04-2005, 06:25 PM
Launching!

Love it.recommended,Yes.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

never had a better vehicle. hands down THE best.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Best car I've ever owned, and that's a lot of nice cars, see below. I've upgraded the suspension and added headers, car is very fast and handles great. Even my wife, who is not a car nut, loves this car. Can't say enough about it and yes, I was hoping to pass under everyone's radar, but this car gets looks and compliments almost every time I drive it. Unbelievable.

Past cars: 57 chevy, 68 Nova SS396, 68 Z-28, 65 Corvette, 90 Mustang 5.0 (supercharged with nitrous), and 2002 BMW 330i traded for the GTO.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've had my MBM M6 for three weeks now and i'm loving every second of it.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

ok... sounds like this car is a hands down favorite. how does the interior compare... is it the classic pontiac style or does it actually have some class to it?
the choice for me comes down to an ls1 camaro... or a gto... i think id be much happier with a gto since its a "sedan".
Thanks for your input fellas... hopefully I can get to know some of you better and learn more about mods, etc.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:17 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 04Z71SATX
ok... sounds like this car is a hands down favorite. how does the interior compare... is it the classic pontiac style or does it actually have some class to it?
the choice for me comes down to an ls1 camaro... or a gto... i think id be much happier with a gto since its a "sedan".
Thanks for your input fellas... hopefully I can get to know some of you better and learn more about mods, etc.
THe interior was what really got me, I was expecting some cheap, plastic,funky ***** that look like all pontiacs but this really suprised me. Interior is very comfortable and has some of the best seats I have ever owned. Compared to my 98 F-Body I traded in. I have an 04 A4 and only mod was I removed my mufflers and welded in straight pipes. Sounds mean as hell and boy do I love to watch people turn around everywhere I go. You would be suprised at the compliments we get for not having the "Gotta Have it Factor"

Get one you wont regret it.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have to say the Interior is really what sold this car to me. If you want a good all around performance car, get the GTO. If pure racing performance is what you are after there are better deals, but you will sacrifice interior and ride comfort.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:25 PM
Teching In

I am going to be buying a new vehicle in the next year. Right now the car section is between an RX8, STi, and GTO. The RX8 is probably out the window because of it not responding well to mods. Plus my fiancee really doubts we will be able to fit a car seat in the back if one is needed. So it is down between an STi and GTO. Can anyone give some recommendations? I sorta lean towards the GTO because the fact it is NA is nice. I drive my fiancee's WRX a lot and am really starting to hate turbo lag lol.

In case you are curious on the truck side I'm considering a Jeep Rubicon and a quadcab Dodge Powerwagon.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Cool 2005 GTO Remarks

I now have owned my 2005 Yellow M6 GTO for 3 months, 760 miles and counting..... I am VERY satisfied As you can see... I have been through ALOT of nice sports cars and the GTO is the BEST So far!

Previous Vehicles:
1987 Porsche 928S4
1991 Nissan Skyline GTS-t "TYPE-M" TURBO 5 Speed (While living in Tokyo)
1990 Nissan Skyline GTS-t TURBO Auto (While living in Tokyo)
1974 Porsche 911 Targa
1982 Madza RX-7 13B 5 speed
Old 08-05-2005, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

not enough top end
Old 08-05-2005, 07:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ashford
I am going to be buying a new vehicle in the next year. Right now the car section is between an RX8, STi, and GTO. The RX8 is probably out the window because of it not responding well to mods. Plus my fiancee really doubts we will be able to fit a car seat in the back if one is needed. So it is down between an STi and GTO. Can anyone give some recommendations?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/racer-s-lounge/358876-looking-new-dd-sti-vs-gto.html

BTW, I've still got my sights set on a GTO - waiting for a call back from the dealer as we speak...

Quick Reply: How are you guys liking your GTO's? Recommended?