Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Sewell Pontiac in Dallas, Issues with the Goat and the service manager

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 07:56 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Sewell Pontiac in Dallas, Issues with the Goat and the service manager

Hi all,

We have an 04 GTO which is bone stock. I mean pure stock right down to the air filter. The only non stock item is a set of ROH Drift R rims.

To start off, the car had a terrible interior water leak. There would be 2-3" of water on the inside after a 30 minute rain. It was taken to the dealer 3 times for this fix, and it finally got taken care of after a week of them having it on the last trip.

The next problem that began early in its life was it began to pop out of reverse. No big deal, happened once a week maybe. This too was taken in for a look, and the dealer, "Could not duplicate the issue"

No problem. We can live with it.

Now, it has gotten to the point where it will not stay in reverse unless you hold it in.

The car now has 50k miles on it, and we are very upset with the way this problem has gone with out GM fixing it and multiple visits to them.

My mother drives this car to and from work every day. We did a baseline dyno on it and then she has had it in her care ever since. She is not a drag racer, the car has never even done so much as a burn out. Thats what the vettes are for

As of now, Sewell has had this car for 3 days stating that if they get it apart, and find out that it was due to drag racing they cannot fix it under warranty. Im not sure about any of you guys, but I sure dont bang reverse looking for that extra tenth

Is it something we could fix? Absolutely. Probably in a few hours work. But thats not the point. We shouldnt have to.

On top of all this, the service manager has been nothing short of rude, condescending, and unwilling to help.

Jason F, the salesmen who frequents these forums from Sewell is a great guy. One of the best sales guys from a GM dealer we have encountered in the last 10 years of buying GM cars, but their service center is lacking.

Has anyone had this reverse popping out issue?

Has anyone else done business with them, or had encounters with the service manager/center?

Thanks for the patience, and sorry for the long read. Im a little frustraited with them if you cant tell and just trying to get some data points

Those of you on the LS1GTO forums, please pass the word on. I do not have an account there.

Thanks

Louis
Old 12-01-2005, 11:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never heard of a reverse popping out issue for any t56 on any car including my GTO. Some guys are asses,, he probably just stereotyped you into a racer category and feels like you are giving him a line of **** which is why he is being so rude,

sounds funny but try to make him understand what is happening calmy and completely and maybe he will listen?

Good luck man
Old 12-02-2005, 04:48 AM
12 Second Club

My B&M shifter pops out of reverse quite often. I missed a gear (between 1st and 3rd power shift) and bent the shifter. I will bet money your shifter needs to be replaced. I am about to stick a stock Camaro shifter in it (stock goat shifter sucks worse than no reverse) and send my B&M back for replacement...then sell the damned thing!

Galen
Old 12-02-2005, 11:34 AM
FormerVendor

The entire converstaion and the whole "Deal" has been done by my mother. Had I been on the phone, things would have been different. Im going to call him on monday and voice my opinion. He is out today.

Ive seen the reverse popping out before, back in 94, and a few vettes have the problem every now and again.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

regardless if you raced the gto or not it isnt modified. On top of that who buys these cars to go slow, not me (not saying your mother is out tearing it up). GM markets GTOs as performance vehicles and they should treat them as such meaning if its under warranty fix it no questions asked.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Louis,
Sorry that you guys are having trouble with the goat and the service manager there. I never understood why these guys don't work WITH customers instead of against them.

FWIW, if you want to try a different shifter to see if it helps just let me know. I have my stock '05 shifter sitting in a box in the closet with about 1000 miles on it. I'd be happy to give it to you to see if it helps at all - if it works you're welcome to keep it if you want. Just let me know and I can ship it your way.

Also, I'll post this over at LS1gto.com for you.

Good luck,

Joe
Old 12-02-2005, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

This could fall under the lemon law. It varies from state to state so check up on that in your state. I would play hardball and threaten to sue. Before you do that, call GM directly and speak with someone there.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:14 PM
FormerVendor

Well, everything is taken care of. Sewell may cover 50%, or go 60/40 split on the labor, but regardless, my Techs tore it down and replaced the plastic clips that had broken on the fork. 5$ part, and 6+ hours of labor later, its back on the road. Problem solved.

Joe, thanks for the offer. It still has a stock shifter too. She doesnt complain, so what can I say

I will update the thread with the final info and what percentage they end up paying.

Louis
Old 12-02-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Junkie

It's good to hear you are getting some resolution to this Louis.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:46 AM
11 Second Club

GM needs to reform their service departments.I've always been a GM owner and I attribute many GM sales problems to how service depts. have treated people in the past.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:38 PM
TECH Regular

I've had major issues with GM service departments. Yet, I've never had any issues with Ford's.

Quick Reply: Sewell Pontiac in Dallas, Issues with the Goat and the service manager