Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

05 Volant Before & After dyno feedback...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Volant Before & After dyno feedback...

First run was a fresh baseline number... I pretty much got to the dyno shop, rolled it up on the rollers and after a few minutes of off time to strap it down, we ran it with pretty much no cooldown. (It was a cool 50° today so their wasnt much need for a cooldown anyway.) Mods as tested are the SLP 160° T-stat and some well used NGK TR55 plugs that I put in LAST year just before my dyno runs then. (about 10 months and 10,000 miles ago) Numbers were (incase the graph doesnt show up) 348.4hp and 354.0tq, up about 6hp and tq from previous baseline numbers.

Second run we were aiming to see if descreened MAF makes any difference, thus we pushed the screen out (or shall I say, Tim destroyed it with his thumb) and then retested with the stock airbox. Gains? Less than one horsepower and it even lost a little torque. I'm guessing the MAF didnt like the new readings, but if i remember right, the A/F was about the same. It did sound slightly more agressive though. So no change there...

Third and Fourth runs were done with the Volant intake installed which took a record time to swap out of i'd guess less than 15 minutes. The kit was a little tricky to get installed since the holes werent exactly perfect, but it went in and looks very nice. I had to relocate my HID box but I have a new mounting spot for that once I get some more double sided tape. Anyhow, those runs were done with again very little cooldown (just long enough to swap the intakes out) since we squeezed my time in between a few other people. The first run with the Volant was 354.3hp and 355.0tq with no other changes. In fact if anything, the coolant temp may have been higher than before since we didnt have a fan on it while we swapped the intakes and didnt give it much cooldown time. The second run with the Volant was slightly lower, mostly due to the fact we had just ran it seconds before.

The fifth run.... well their was no fifth run, except that time on the highway on the way home....

Overall impressions, fit was decent. Took a little tweaking to get it just right but it went in. The sound is nice, it is a cross between a stock airbox quiet and an open filter roar, except it sounds a lot more agressive since the airbox seems to make the roar resonate more. Had quite a few people look at it on the way home with its new found growl. Power felt even better on the street. I highly suspect if I went back and dyno'd it again now that the ECM has had time to learn the new airflow it would pick up even more power. As I drove home, it felt quicker and quicker as I drove it.

On a side note, my average MPG for the last few months has been between 18.2 and 18.6mpg, very rarely going to 19.2 and usualy going back down again later. On the way home the average MPG slowly went up from 18.2 to 20.2 by the time I got home! Blame it on the intake, or the descreened MAF, I dunno... But it makes more power, sounds better and i'm clearly getting better mileage now all of a sudden. All positive reasons I like my Volant. Oh, and it looks pretty nice too. No complaints there!

As the dyno graph shows, torque was lost down low since the A/F went pretty lean after driving it. I'm sure on the drive home it had relearned fuel quite a bit as lower-midrange power felt like it had in fact picked up over stock. We gave it no time to learn from run to run to run so it can only get better from here!

Yes, seat of the pants says it is faster, plus it makes a little more noise but not overly loud like a cat-back or something. It should prove at least as good in the summer with better intake temps since at least half of the MAF is shielded by the box. Once the ECM relearns the fuel trims, I suspect it should dyno even better... The car DID feel quicker both down low and up top after about an hour of driving it on the way home, even better than it felt right after I left the dyno so clearly it has relearned some.
Attached Thumbnails 05 Volant Before & After dyno feedback...-dyno-jan-28-dyno-1-3-.jpg  
Old 01-28-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

cool writeup man, is your car a M6 or A4? Also could we see some pics of the kit installed?
Old 01-28-2006, 08:34 PM
Teching In

looks to me it leaned it out to pick up the power
Old 01-28-2006, 08:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

are you going to dyno it again soon?

after my LPE install on my 05 my hwy mileage improved dramatically but i never got that good again.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JBSS71
looks to me it leaned it out to pick up the power
It lost power where it got leaner. Most likely knock retard kicking in. The A/F up top was less than 0.1 points higher for the most part. Like I said, it actualy got quicker and feels faster now that the car relearned the fuel curve. (It was in for service most of the week and they reset the ECM on Thursday anyhow so it was more or less a 'fresh' LTFT for all of the runs.)

The SOTP tells me it is quicker by enough to warrent the $250 price tag.

I have an M6
Old 01-28-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CrabhartLS1
cool writeup man, is your car a M6 or A4? Also could we see some pics of the kit installed?
I'll take a pic of it later. I only had my camera phone at the dyno so that wasnt exactly worth using.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:23 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

nice! mine helped me keep my same HP #'s when I had the timing set back for my nitrous. so i'm happy..

glad youre happy too!!

Quick Reply: 05 Volant Before & After dyno feedback...