Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 11:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations

Hey everyone,

Currently I have a 99 LS1 with mods listed below and a 06 BMW 330i. Actually the 330i belonged to the wife and she wanted an SUV, so I took it over. I am debating on getting rid of both cars and picking up a GTO if I can get a good enough deal on it. Or should I just sell the bimmer and wait a few years until I can save up enough money for the new z06?

Basically, my question is: How satisfied are you? Did you come from a car that made a lot of hp already? Do you forsee yourself trading it in on something else in the near future?

Thanks, I know they are rather subjective questions, but opinions help.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:43 AM
Teching In

i came from a gtp, which a lot of gto owners did, i will never regret it, im gonna hang on to this as long as i can..love the car, quality, the fit and finish of the car is great, the interior is great, lots of aftermarket for them, and now you can get an 05 for around 27k brand new on the lot, you may have to search a little, but well worth it..you get one, you wont regret it!
Old 03-03-2006, 08:37 AM
TECH Resident

I am very satisfied with my GTO. Love everything about it. I have modded it a bit but that was just to get exactly what I wanted. Old school sound and lope. I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. Go drive one I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. The GTO is very BMW like in its interior execution.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:36 AM
Launching!

That was my next question.

Should I get an 05 or 06? The only difference i know of is the tail lights, which is not a big deal to me.

I live in Dallas and there are alot of 05's out here. I think I am going to go and check out sewell b/c it seemed that they had a good selection of both years.

last question, I will also do a search on this as well. Is there any other differences if you get the 18 inch rims. Such as suspension, etc... If not, I would like to change the rims out sometime anyway. Yet, I said the samething about my camaro and 6 years later, it still has the factory rims.

I am really debating hard about whether I should get it or not b/c I really love my camaro, but I made some dumb modifications to it in the past. Yes, I know they can be switched out, but I am just ready to start over on a clean slate. I cant really afford the bimmer and need to get rid of it. So it is definately going away.

Last question: my wife has GMS. do you know if the GMS is lower on 05's and then they give the rebates or what?

Sorry, I havent gotten much sleep so I am kind of scatter brained.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Lucian
That was my next question.

Should I get an 05 or 06? The only difference i know of is the tail lights, which is not a big deal to me.

I live in Dallas and there are alot of 05's out here. I think I am going to go and check out sewell b/c it seemed that they had a good selection of both years.

last question, I will also do a search on this as well. Is there any other differences if you get the 18 inch rims. Such as suspension, etc... If not, I would like to change the rims out sometime anyway. Yet, I said the samething about my camaro and 6 years later, it still has the factory rims.

I am really debating hard about whether I should get it or not b/c I really love my camaro, but I made some dumb modifications to it in the past. Yes, I know they can be switched out, but I am just ready to start over on a clean slate. I cant really afford the bimmer and need to get rid of it. So it is definately going away.

Last question: my wife has GMS. do you know if the GMS is lower on 05's and then they give the rebates or what?

Sorry, I havent gotten much sleep so I am kind of scatter brained.
The only diff in the 06 is the tails. So I'd say try to find the best deal on either.

The 18's are narrower 235 vs 245 on the 17's but I can't comment on the ride. The suspension components are the same regardless of the wheels.

I bought my 04 with GMS in May 04 but don't know what the current GMS pricing is.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:17 AM
Teching In

06's also have the door lock/unlock button on the center console along with the tails.

later

AL
Old 03-15-2006, 08:48 PM
Teching In

I am very satisfied with my GTO. Love everything about it. I have modded it a bit but that was just to get exactly what I wanted. Old school sound and lope. I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. Go drive one I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. The GTO is very BMW like in its interior execution.
SW LT headers, SW Custom Side Exhaust, AP Sideskirts (Waiting paint), RP Synchomax and Gear Max

Where did you get rims that would fit 275/40/17 nittos. I have an 06 and can not find any place selling 17X9" rims for the rear because of our ******* aussi offset. Anyways the GTO is the first car I've owned that on warm dry roads can not get traction in first. I know KDWS are shitty tires. But if I'm gonna cough up 400 on tire i might as well get a $1200 wider rim with tire package and get some real tires like the 275 nittoR's.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Lucian
Hey everyone,

Currently I have a 99 LS1 with mods listed below and a 06 BMW 330i. Actually the 330i belonged to the wife and she wanted an SUV, so I took it over. I am debating on getting rid of both cars and picking up a GTO if I can get a good enough deal on it. Or should I just sell the bimmer and wait a few years until I can save up enough money for the new z06?

Basically, my question is: How satisfied are you? Did you come from a car that made a lot of hp already? Do you forsee yourself trading it in on something else in the near future?

Thanks, I know they are rather subjective questions, but opinions help.
The GTO is actually a good blend between the two cars you already have. It probably isn't as fast as your 99, but it probably isn't as smooth as your 330i.

If money is a big issue for you, I'd go with a new 2005 model. There were no mechanical changes. The only changes I've heard of are is the addition of a door lock button and the new tail lights. They both have the LS2 and bigger brakes than the 2004 model.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:14 PM
Banned

I would never get rid of my goat for the world! I would say, if you could, get the 06' a few changes, nothing major though (differernt tails, door lock/unlock, lighted steering wheel controls, faster seat motor), but the reason to get the 06 is cause you'll have the last year of this run. I got an 04, so i got the first (obviously) year and technically the 40th ann. of the GTO. the 05' is just in the middle. It is a fast car, but doesnt feel fast cause of the coushy suspension. I've stiffened mine up a bit and added some power and its... pretty damn fast....

Quick Reply: Recommendations