Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

vette or ls2 gto

Old 03-24-2007, 08:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vette or ls2 gto

leaving for boot camp in 10 days, got rid of my truck today, and got rid of all other bills so i will be saving like mad during my Basic and tech school...looking to buy late in the year
LS2 Gto M6 or a 01-02 z06 or 01-03 reg vette
i should have enough saved for a pretty good downpayment or use that money for mods
if you gto guys did it again would you buy a vette or go for the much newer gto?
Old 03-24-2007, 09:20 AM
10 Second Club

Given the 3 options, I'd still get a GTO. First, you can get one new for the price of a used vette. Second, the GTO is vastly more comfortable. Also, IMO, the C5 hasn't aged well, particularly since the C6 came out.

But, get what YOU want, you can't really go wrong with any of the choices.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:43 AM
Banned

Vette= no room for equipment which in turn = horrible for military.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:16 AM
Launching!

only car gto, 2nd vehicle vette(go wit a c6 though)
Old 03-24-2007, 11:49 AM
Teching In

I love Corvettes, but I'd go with the GTO. It's way more comfortable, a bit more practical, and actually has a back seat. For the price you'd pay for an older Vette, you could have a brand new GTO, get nearly the same performance, and not have to worry about how badly the Vette has been beaten.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:19 PM
10 Second Club

i posted this in both the gto and vette forums....interesting...each forum is very partial
i'd like to see the trunk space of a z06 since theres no hatch it looks like theres a decent amount of room in there
Old 03-24-2007, 02:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i decided to get my GTO over a used z06. z06s are sweet but i wanted an ls2 and something new. at that time prices at least locally for z06s were more than a new GTO so that my decision easier.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

I could have bought a left-over, brand new C6 that had minimal options, but I decided to go for the Quicksilver GTO, because of the lower price tag, the roomy backseats, and it was at the lot with the color combination that I exactly wanted. Not to mention, it had the same LS2 in it. If I had to do it all over again, then I would buy the GTO just for those same reasons. Next time, it will be a brand-new C6 or maybe even a new C7.

You shouldn't think twice about taking a brand-new GTO over a used C5. New is always better than used and, unlike a Corvette, there won't always be a brand-new GTO. That's a good thing.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:06 PM
Teching In

I have owned vette's and the gto hands down on confort. Speed about the same. Insurance a hell of alot cheaper with the four seater.. Don't have to worry about the duel fuel pumps making noise because the gto don't have duel fuel pumps to go bad..I am sold on the gto The cops don't mess with me ike they do in a Vette. Or other drivers....
Old 03-25-2007, 08:48 AM
wax
Staging Lane

Yeah a vette is a good second vehicle. I got a 2000 C5 right now and looking to trade to sell or trade in on a GTO. I love the vette and you can't beat the performance on it, but you can't fit a car seat in the back of a vette lol
Old 03-27-2007, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Get what you want. I say go Vett, one less GTO driver = good
Old 03-27-2007, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Vette because it has a frame. I don't care how tight a unibody is when its new, but if you like to keep your cars for a few years and a few hundred thousand miles, a unibody is going to get sloppy. Also, the body on frame allows you to have a stiffer, better handling suspension and still have good ride quality.

Vette because you can fit decent rubber. Good power and good suspension doesnt do you much good unless you have enough tire to hold the road.

Vette because the 4-wheel aluminum a-arm suspension with light composite monoleaf springs make for an outstanding suspension.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:01 AM
Needs to finish car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got an 06 GTO M6 and my roommate has a 00 Corvette FRC, so I know a thing or two about both cars. The thing here is that they are very different cars, the GTO is a large touring coupe and the 'vette is a pure sports car. In my mind, the GTO is better put together than the 'vette and it is more comfortable. Generally, the GTO is more of a regular car.

Acceleration is close between an LS2 GTO and a LS1 'vette (I know because I've 'tested'), but in any other measure of performance, the 'vette will win. That is more an acknowledgment of how great the C5 is than an indictment of the GTO.

Another thing to think about is that the 'vette will always get more attention than a GTO. The only people who have commented on my car a people that know about cars. Very few people have tried to race me. The story is different with the 'vette as everyone knows what it is and is for. Corvettes draw attention both good and bad. Personally, I like the sleeper aspect of the car.

All in all, I think comes down more to the type of car you want than anything else. However, I don't think you can lose either way.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Kurtomac
i posted this in both the gto and vette forums....interesting...each forum is very partial
i'd like to see the trunk space of a z06 since theres no hatch it looks like theres a decent amount of room in there
I went from an 04 GTO to an 03 z06. The vette's truck is defintely bigger
Old 03-29-2007, 08:27 AM
11 Second Club

vette.. all the way...
Old 04-16-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im thinking of getting a GTO for a junker in a couple years just to modify and track it. If it blows up, Im only going to be out a couple grand

I love my vette
Old 04-16-2007, 04:45 PM
Staging Lane

I went through the same thing. I ended up with the GOAT and now that I have had mine for a year I wouldn't change my mind. Good luck and enjoy it any way you go.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

I would say GTO.

As mentioned you have the added room and two extra seats. besides the seats in a vette only recline to the back wall, something that matters to me anyhow. But I use my car for DD and not the track so in this case the GTO would fit the bill.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GTO JIMMY
Vette= no room for equipment which in turn = horrible for military.
Speaking as someone who has owned both, wrong. I was able to fit two fully loaded golf bags in the back of my vette and a few other little odds and ends as well. The trunk of the GTO is next to useless but you do have the back seat to carry more stuff.

The C5 contrary to what another member posted has aged very well unless you pick one thats been beat on, theres a ton of aftermarket products for them, and the corvetteforum.com is about one of the most helpful sights I have ever encountered.

Drawbacks are only 2 seats (not a drawback for some), parts have the "corvette tax" on them (tend to be a bit more expensive), and the danger of speeding tickets everywhere you go because they are so damn fun to drive fast. Hell on the highway your cruising along comfortably and when you glance down at the speedo your doing 100mph and feels like your doing 45mph.

I am not pissing on the GTO btw. I love this car to and its blast to drive as well, but if I didnt need a 4 seater I would still be cruising a vette beyond a doubt.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:40 AM
On The Tree

Own a GTO, looking for a C5 Z06. Not married, no kids, GTO's trunk is about as usefull as a vette's, the backseat is nice but mine never gets used. The LS1 modded makes very similar numbers as a modded LS2 and stock the LS2 heat soaks horribly. The GTO does have a better interior but I like the C5's also, the C6's interior is closer to the GTO.

Drive both (because they are totally different), buy what you like. You're also going to have to spend $2-3K on suspension to make the GTO handle anywhere near how the Vette will and you still have the tire size limitations on the GTO (275's tops in the rear, 245's in the front).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: vette or ls2 gto