Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Hear the new GTO (and look at a HUGE picture)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hear the new GTO (and look at a HUGE picture)

Taken from: http://www.newagegto.com/News.shtml which is a webpage full of, you guessed it, new age GTO stuff.

Sounds:
http://www.newagegto.com/startstop.mp3
http://www.newagegto.com/short_rev.mp3

DETROIT - A combination of high-technology refinement, global engineering and good old-fashioned ear tuning has ensured the dual exhaust system of the 2004 Pontiac GTO produces a legendary sound in a contemporary car - a rumbling, throaty exhaust note reminiscent of the classic original.

Mechanically, the exhaust system on the GTO consists of two completely independent exhaust paths that run from the manifolds to the outlet pipes, ensuring there is no mixture of exhaust gases. However, creating the necessary "voice" of the vehicle required much more than simple mechanics.

"Anyone who has ever heard a classic GTO knows that distinctive 'sound,'" said Lynn Myers, Pontiac-GMC general manager. "It's very much a part of the character of both the GTO and Pontiac, so we knew we had to recreate that same feeling in the modern version."

The Holden Monaro, on which the new GTO is based, didn't have the "sound" Pontiac needed. "The Monaro is a great performance car, but it's sold as more of a luxury vehicle in Australia so the exhaust note was fairly quiet," said Robert Kraut, GTO marketing director. "From the beginning, everyone knew that the exhaust would have to be 'dialed-up' to give us that special sensory cue that says, 'This is a Pontiac.'"

Throughout the development of the system, exhaust system engineers in opposite hemispheres worked extensively to ensure the new GTO carried all of the audible emotion and virtues associated with its legendary predecessor.

"We had three main priorities for this vehicle right from the outset: power, launch feel, and an exhaust note with lots of character," explained Dave Himmelberg, the GTO program engineering manager. "Our sound objective wasn't about making the exhaust loud. It was about bringing a smile to someone's face as soon as they turned the key."

Early in the vehicle development process, engineers test-drove an original 1964 GTO on loan from the Pontiac historical collection to acquaint themselves with its acoustical traits.

"We wanted to get a real good feel for the sound character of the vehicle," Himmelberg explained, "and that drive provided us with an acoustical baseline from which to start."

"We then listened to the 2002 Corvette, which also has a really good sound with traits we were looking for. With those two baselines, we pretty much had in mind what we wanted to accomplish. Our goal was to come in at a pass-by rate of just under 80 decibels, which is the legal sound limit in some states. But, we knew it couldn't be objectionable. It needed to be a pleasing 80 decibels."

At that point, GM engineers in Australia (where the new GTO is built) and North America worked diligently in a parallel effort to develop an exhaust system that delivered the desired sound and performance characteristics.

"It became a true global effort because the exhaust needed to be developed with parts available in Australia, but acoustically tuned to the spirit of an American classic," Himmelberg said.

Through the efforts of engineers on two continents, a true dual exhaust system was developed and acoustically tuned like a finely crafted woodwind instrument, yet enables the heavy-breathing, low-back pressure needs of the 340-horsepower LS1 V8 powerplant. It consists of:

Dual catalytic converters, one on each exhaust bank;
Two resonators - acoustical chambers that are tuned to a specific resonant frequency via internally positioned louvers - are positioned between each catalytic converter and the mufflers;
Two mufflers with different internal flow paths (the right muffler flow path is longer than the left). This achieves a harmonic imbalance between the exhaust paths, enabling engineers to essentially mix tonal qualities to achieve desired sounds;
Specifically sized and routed stainless steel pipes to ensure reduced backpressure as well as desired tonal qualities; and,
A single tubular brace that holds the paths together between the converters and resonators to minimize vibration that could adversely affect the tonal qualities of the system.
Using advanced exhaust modeling capabilities, literally dozens of math-based models were analyzed during system development to refine exhaust flow and detail paths in various components for desired tonal qualities.

"We analyzed and re-analyzed sound qualities at every point of the performance curve," Himmelberg said. "We wanted the rumble at start up, more of a throaty roar during acceleration, and it needed to have a pleasing presence at cruise speeds."

However, the true test came down to what the exhaust note sounded like to the human ear, and the emotions it evoked.

"We had about five prototype builds of the system," Himmelberg recalled, "and for each of them, it really boiled down to listening to them on the GTO. We had 14 different scenarios where we'd listen to and analyze the sound - during acceleration, pass-by on streets, pass-by on highways, idle . . . you name it."

"In the end, we knew we had exactly the sound we wanted. It's hard to hear it and not just grin."
----------------------------------------------

And here's the HUGE picture (although its really a drawing)
http://www.newagegto.com/X04AR_PN001.jpg

J.

Old 06-08-2003, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: Hear the new GTO (and look at a HUGE picture)

That thing sounds tough, I can't wait until it comes out, I especially want to see what SLP decides to do with it..
Old 06-09-2003, 12:50 AM
Banned

I just want one!
Old 06-09-2003, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

I want that exhaust on my truck.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

----------------------------------------------
And here's the HUGE picture (although its really a drawing)
http://www.newagegto.com/X04AR_PN001.jpg

J.
Nice looking system there, but I wish they would have the tips on seperate sides of the rear . I am sure there will be a kit soon enough after it is released that will put larger pipes on each side of the rearend.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Very nice
Old 06-12-2003, 11:47 AM
Teching In

I am sure there will be a kit soon enough after it is released that will put larger pipes on each side of the rearend.
I would not count on it. There is a very high probability that the fuel tank is under that black cover making it tough to route a proper exhaust to that side.

Personally, I don't see what the fuss is all about. The car has a proper dual exhaust. All indications point to it being a very good exhaust that will not need to be replaced unless power levels get quite high. All indications also point to it sounding very good for a factory exhaust. So the tips exit on the same side. Get over it.
Old 06-16-2003, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

That is one UGLY car!! I got a good look at one at the LA Auto show. Even the interior sucks. My 2002 WS6 looks and sounds 10 times better.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Well, the good thing about the GTO is that they are not putting those godawful nostrils or tacky cladding all over it. With any luck, the interior won't have all the squeaks and rattles of an F-car either.
Old 06-17-2003, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

True duals and IRS? Must be nice right outa the factory that way! I sure hope that when the 5th gen F-body arrives (hopefully) that it has those as well!
Old 06-21-2003, 11:19 AM
Staging Lane

im sorry but the two pipes coming out one side of the car is just gay. car is still cool though. but it could loose the gp look in the future.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yea, I'm pretty sure that exhaust exits on each side will be one of the first things addressed...
Old 06-23-2003, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Such a tiring subject. Yes, it would be nice if there were exits on both sides, but there aren't for a good reason. Can't anyone get over it? The car has a true dual system and IRS for chrissake.

And, don't count on it being one of the first things addressed...all indications point to there being a fuel tank in the way of putting right side pipes out the back.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:30 PM
TECH Resident

"The car will only have one engine in 2004 which is a 340-350 horsepower LS1 specifically tuned for more low-end torque. This will make the LS1 accelerate much harder than in the deceased 5.7L LS1 F-body and in some respects similar to the LT1."

Now all I can think of is buying parts from the GTO and retro fitting to my SS. Hmmm... I wonder what exactly will be interchangeable? Probably throttle body, and other air intake stuff. I guess we'll see....
Old 06-28-2003, 07:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't anyone get over it? The car has a true dual system and IRS for chrissake.
Yeah...with a sound like that, the exhaust could exit through the trunk lid for all I care!!
Old 06-28-2003, 10:03 PM
Teching In

I wrote this:

all indications point to there being a fuel tank in the way of putting right side pipes out the back.
but now it seems the opposite is true. Turns out the fuel tank has been relocated to inside the trunk (leaving a pitiful 9 cubic feet of space) and potentially leaving the underside of the car empty. Not sure what the point of that bigass cover is under the car in all the press pictures...maybe to cover up the fact that they didn't know what the car would look like underneath when they produced the pics?

At any rate, I guess an aftermarket rear bumper fascia and tailpipes should make all the whiners happy.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:40 AM
TECH Regular

Get over it.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:50 PM
TECH Regular

Well at first I didnt like the pics of the GTO but the more I saw the real pics the more I liked it. I probably wont buy one (What would I do with 4 cars?) but I definetly like them. As for the exhaust not exiting on both sides I dont really think thats a big deal. It sure wouldnt keep me from buying the car.

I will say this, I would not buy it if SLP added their "special" overrated and over priced parts to it. I'd rather have a "plain" GTO than a SLP hoodscooped GTO with a cat back that can add "up to" 25 hp.

It seems like a lot of work went into designing the exhaust but Im sure most people still wont think its loud enough and begin modifying it way before aftermarket companies start making mods specifically for the GTO.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:01 AM
Restricted User

What is all the fuss about the friggin Exhaust.

You throw some stainless heades or coated, no cats, and dump the dual 3" pipes before the axle. Thats what most of you do anyway. Enough about the damn exhaust. As for the 9cf of wasted space, nice place to relocate the battery and fuel cell.

Good thign for GM employee discounts huh?

Quick Reply: Hear the new GTO (and look at a HUGE picture)