Go Back   LS1TECH > VEHICLE SPECIFIC FORUMS > Pontiac GTO 2004-2006
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

thinking of getting a 04 GTO. NEED some help.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-22-2007, 03:50 PM   #1
TECH Resident
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gainesville GA
Posts: 862
Default thinking of getting a 04 GTO. NEED some help.

OK well me and my Dad were talking and we think mom should get a GTO. Its still a nice car and with me now being able to drive on my own we don't need the big SUV (tahoe). She doesn't like cars that much anymore cause of the wreck she had when I was little the truck she was in pretty much saved her the other person in a saturn was in critial for 6 months. Well we have finially talked her into another car. We want to get a 04 GTO cause they are cheaper( can't afford the ls2 cars). Is theere anyone wrong with thease cars? any major problems? I also heard you had to run premium in them or you get a rod nock? true? I have a 92 z28 with a vortec headed 350, my father has a 80 C10 with 355, shiftkit, headers ETC..., well we want something that would be fast but still nice and not a pain to drive everyday. leather power options etc. are these good cars?
thanks
david068513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 03:55 PM   #2
11 Second Club
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 63
Send a message via AIM to GoatChzLS1
Default

The cars are great. Best GM interior ever, quick for the weight and fun to drive.
GoatChzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 04:01 PM   #3
TECH Resident
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gainesville GA
Posts: 862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatChzLS1 View Post
The cars are great. Best GM interior ever, quick for the weight and fun to drive.


thank you. I didn't expect such a quick response. Also is the back seat pretty roomy? My Dad thinks its small. I don't think its that small but I do own a camaro lol and my seats are small? is it ok in the backseat? Seats feel ok? We are gonna go look at a black one at a stealership in town tomorrow. black on black with a auto the only GTO they had. (mom can't drive a stick and my Dad lost his leg at 18 so a stick is hard for him too). Is there any engine problems known to exsist in these cars?
david068513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 04:06 PM   #4
11 Second Club
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 63
Send a message via AIM to GoatChzLS1
Default

The back seat can be a little tricky to get into but it has more leg room then my Formula. The motor is solid, it was the last of the LS1 so pretty much all the bugs seemed to be worked out. The only problem I have had with mine since I bought it new was the gauges would jump around on their own, all the dealer had to do was re-flash the pcm with an update.
GoatChzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 04:10 PM   #5
TECH Resident
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gainesville GA
Posts: 862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatChzLS1 View Post
The back seat can be a little tricky to get into but it has more leg room then my Formula. The motor is solid, it was the last of the LS1 so pretty much all the bugs seemed to be worked out. The only problem I have had with mine since I bought it new was the gauges would jump around on their own, all the dealer had to do was re-flash the pcm with an update.
ok so it has more room then a F body thats great! . so the only problem you have hd was teh pcm needed to be reflashed? Was it expensive? the car we are going to look at only has 26,000 miles and they want 18.5K for it. is that a good deal? It still has the factory warranty.
david068513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 04:22 PM   #6
11 Second Club
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 63
Send a message via AIM to GoatChzLS1
Default

The pcm thing was under warranty so free. Sounds fair for the lower miles, I bet you could get it for 18K.
GoatChzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 04:24 PM   #7
TECH Resident
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gainesville GA
Posts: 862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatChzLS1 View Post
The pcm thing was under warranty so free. Sounds fair for the lower miles, I bet you could get it for 18K.
thanks. We will also be trading in the tahoe for it. so it all depends on how much we get for the tahoe.
david068513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 04:25 PM   #8
12 Second Club
 
CABRO's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clovis, NM
Posts: 284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by david068513 View Post
ok so it has more room then a F body thats great! . so the only problem you have hd was teh pcm needed to be reflashed? Was it expensive? the car we are going to look at only has 26,000 miles and they want 18.5K for it. is that a good deal? It still has the factory warranty.
i thought the warrenties were three years or 36k...... i love mine

good luck with the goat hunting hope you get one
CABRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 04:27 PM   #9
TECH Resident
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gainesville GA
Posts: 862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CABRO View Post
i thought the warrenties were three years or 36k...... i love mine

good luck with the goat hunting hope you get one
idk the dealership says it still has facotory warranty.
david068513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 04:29 PM   #10
11 Second Club
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 63
Send a message via AIM to GoatChzLS1
Default

3 years from the cars purchase date.
GoatChzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 04:38 PM   #11
TECH Resident
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gainesville GA
Posts: 862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatChzLS1 View Post
3 years from the cars purchase date.
thank you
david068513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 04:51 PM   #12
TECH Resident
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gainesville GA
Posts: 862
Default

How fast are these cars? will they outrun my 92 z28? Its got a vortec 350, magnaflow duals,vortec heads with the G92 readend with 3:23 gears.
david068513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 04:58 PM   #13
11 Second Club
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 63
Send a message via AIM to GoatChzLS1
Default

here are the times from LS1gto.com for stock
LS1 Stock class:
1) H82BSLOGTO 13.09 @ 105.00
2) ls1gto 13.10 @ 107.3 MPH
3) TRU GTO 13.136 @ 105.76 MPH
4) GTwhoa 13.15 @ 105.35 MPH
5) nutiger 13.245 @ 104.86 MPH
6) GTONEWB 13.248 105.99 MPH
7) slammin86 13.27 @ 105.46 MPH
8) nikivee 13.3 @ 104.00 MPH
9) 1meangoat 13.307 @ 104.61 MPH
10) Nmbr1GMfan 13.390 @ 104.54 MPH
11) win98nogood 13.393 @ 105.10 MPH
GoatChzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 05:08 PM   #14
TECH Resident
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gainesville GA
Posts: 862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatChzLS1 View Post
here are the times from LS1gto.com for stock
LS1 Stock class:
1) H82BSLOGTO 13.09 @ 105.00
2) ls1gto 13.10 @ 107.3 MPH
3) TRU GTO 13.136 @ 105.76 MPH
4) GTwhoa 13.15 @ 105.35 MPH
5) nutiger 13.245 @ 104.86 MPH
6) GTONEWB 13.248 105.99 MPH
7) slammin86 13.27 @ 105.46 MPH
8) nikivee 13.3 @ 104.00 MPH
9) 1meangoat 13.307 @ 104.61 MPH
10) Nmbr1GMfan 13.390 @ 104.54 MPH
11) win98nogood 13.393 @ 105.10 MPH
damn they are faster then I tought. I thought with the all the weight they would be slower. looks like my mom and dad are gonna be faster then me lmao

Last edited by david068513; 11-22-2007 at 05:48 PM..
david068513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 05:58 PM   #15
Launching!
 
mrtosh's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Woodbury
Posts: 291
Send a message via MSN to mrtosh Send a message via Yahoo to mrtosh
Default

'04 is a great year. Love the sh*t out of mine. Agreed that the interior is easily one of the best GM has made. My roommate was looking at a Vette, but was disgusted by the chinzy interior compared to my Goat. The backseats are also some of the best I've sat in. Easy to mod and such. They instrument cluster was known to have some demons, as well as the steering wheel/radio controls. Check for strut rub before purchasing though... Every car has it's flaws, but for the money you're getting quite the nice ride....
__________________
Mods: PRC stg 2.5 5.3 heads(milled.010) MTI X1(230/228 .592/.571 112 LSA),LS7 lifters, 7.4 hardened push rods, Pacesetter 1 3/4" LT's, FAST 36lbs injectors, Monster Stage 3, Chromoly flywheel, 3.91 gears, spring tuning kit, Walbro 255,Offroad mids, Corsa Touring, DMH E-cutouts, Billet Pro shifter, Miro type 359 staggered 19's, Powerslots, Hawk C5 pads, BMR drag bags, Damn right there rolled, 7% tint all around.
http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/529...450x100bb5.jpg
mrtosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 06:03 PM   #16
TECH Resident
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gainesville GA
Posts: 862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtosh View Post
'04 is a great year. Love the sh*t out of mine. Agreed that the interior is easily one of the best GM has made. My roommate was looking at a Vette, but was disgusted by the chinzy interior compared to my Goat. The backseats are also some of the best I've sat in. Easy to mod and such. They instrument cluster was known to have some demons, as well as the steering wheel/radio controls. Check for strut rub before purchasing though... Every car has it's flaws, but for the money you're getting quite the nice ride....
thank you for your help. I just sent you a PM. regarding this. I don't know much about Goats. I mainly stay with the F bodies but this seems like a better daily driver and more comfortable.
david068513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 08:52 PM   #17
TECH Resident
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gainesville GA
Posts: 862
Default

anyone else got anything they want to add? anyone having or had any problems?
david068513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 09:17 PM   #18
Launching!
 
GTO8522's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Guam
Posts: 242
Default

david- I just bought an 04 through carmax with 23k cost 20grand. so one with 26k for 18.5 that sounds like a good deal. haha ask these guys I haven't even drivin my car yet and I love it. see it in december. lol they already know the modding bug caught me. good luck though!
__________________
2004 GTO
GTO8522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 10:13 PM   #19
TECH Resident
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gainesville GA
Posts: 862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO8522 View Post
david- I just bought an 04 through carmax with 23k cost 20grand. so one with 26k for 18.5 that sounds like a good deal. haha ask these guys I haven't even drivin my car yet and I love it. see it in december. lol they already know the modding bug caught me. good luck though!
thank you. We are going to look at it in the morning and are gonna bring my mom buy after work and hopes she likes it. This car won't br modded thou my mom doesn't like loud BUT i may put a 06 hood on it and some wheels maybe more .
david068513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 11:21 PM   #20
TECH Resident
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gainesville GA
Posts: 862
Default

going to look at it tomorrow. wish me luck
david068513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 11:21 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird




Paid Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



Join Ls1Tech

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Service - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - JOBS
Emails & Contact Details