Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

FAST90 on a stock LS2?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 06:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAST90 on a stock LS2?

Sold off a lot of my parts and may sell my FAST intake, but I'm wondering, on a mostly stock car with a cold air intake, high-flow cats, H-pipe, SAP mufflers, and a stall, is it worth putting it on?
Old 12-16-2007, 06:53 PM
12 Second Club

I would say its not worth it, yes you will gain some, but not what it would on a cammed car.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

You'll gain some, but not 15-20RWHP like you would on a car with an aftermarket cam. If it's worth it to you to gain a little more top end power then throw it on, if not then sell it.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:19 PM
Launching!

you thinking of selling it and if how much?
Originally Posted by zer0psi
Sold off a lot of my parts and may sell my FAST intake, but I'm wondering, on a mostly stock car with a cold air intake, high-flow cats, H-pipe, SAP mufflers, and a stall, is it worth putting it on?
Old 12-16-2007, 11:28 PM
12 Second Club

yeah i wanna know too.....
Old 12-17-2007, 06:44 AM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PapaSmurf2005
You'll gain some, but not 15-20RWHP like you would on a car with an aftermarket cam. If it's worth it to you to gain a little more top end power then throw it on, if not then sell it.
I wouldn't say that. I saw one put on an internally stock LS1 Camaro, held the record for awhile(still might), and he put on one because they were curious to see what it would do. It was a Mamo ported Fast. It gained 15-20rwhp just about everywhere. Everybody was extremely surprised that it produced that kind of power on a stock LS1.

FWIW, it was dynoed earlier and never was unstrapped. The intake was put on while the car was on the dyno. It was dynoed about 1-2 hours after the initial dyno.

I would expect a stock FAST to put up the same numbers on a stock LS1/LS2. Obviously the ported one will pull better numbers on a higher power engine.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

Wow. I think I may have to keep it then. I may just end up putting on my Kooks, and end up with full bolt-ons. I was resisting the mod bug but I'm really horrible at it so far.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:54 PM
TECH Regular

ive seen numerous dyno graphs with fast 90's on stock internal cars that gained maybe 5hp and lost it everywhere else. 1 LS1 that gained power everywhere seems a bit fishy to me...honestly id do some searching and look for yourself. On an LS2 you probably wont loose peak power, but i wouldnt be suprised if you lost low end tq with it. And thats def not something you wanna loose with a heavy GTO (trust me)

edit: granted this is on a 346CI motor but its also an LS6
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/822519-stock-head-cam-346-ls6-w-bolton-s-pre-post-fast-90-90-results.html#post8211532

Last edited by ExTurbo; 12-17-2007 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ExTurbo
ive seen numerous dyno graphs with fast 90's on stock internal cars that gained maybe 5hp and lost it everywhere else. 1 LS1 that gained power everywhere seems a bit fishy to me...honestly id do some searching and look for yourself. On an LS2 you probably wont loose peak power, but i wouldnt be suprised if you lost low end tq with it. And thats def not something you wanna loose with a heavy GTO (trust me)

edit: granted this is on a 346CI motor but its also an LS6
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8211532
I'm also thinking that, LS6 or not, it's still different because it's a 346 with a smaller (78MM) throttle body. The step-up in throttle bodies is most likely what killed the low end torque. Being that my car has a 90mm TB stock, I don't think that adding a better flowing intake manifold while keeping the same TB will kill my low end nearly as much. In fact, I'm debating having all my mods installed, dyno'ing the car, and then putting it on the dyno again after the FAST90.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rob
I wouldn't say that. I saw one put on an internally stock LS1 Camaro, held the record for awhile(still might), and he put on one because they were curious to see what it would do. It was a Mamo ported Fast. It gained 15-20rwhp just about everywhere. Everybody was extremely surprised that it produced that kind of power on a stock LS1.

FWIW, it was dynoed earlier and never was unstrapped. The intake was put on while the car was on the dyno. It was dynoed about 1-2 hours after the initial dyno.

I would expect a stock FAST to put up the same numbers on a stock LS1/LS2. Obviously the ported one will pull better numbers on a higher power engine.
I highly doubt that, if that is true than that is a rare case. It being ported would help, but I have never seen a car gain power down low from adding a FAST LSX intake manifold, it's always beein in the 3500-4000+ RPM range.

I've seen quite a few cars dyno, mine as well with befor and after mods. Honestly from what I have seen you'll gain maybe 5-8RWHP from adding the FAST on a stock motor, in the upper RPM's.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:41 PM
Banned

Just installed mine on my stock cammed LS2 and love it. Then again I have 9psi backing it so i dunno it's up to you really.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:51 AM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

I highly doubt that, if that is true than that is a rare case. It being ported would help, but I have never seen a car gain power down low from adding a FAST LSX intake manifold, it's always beein in the 3500-4000+ RPM range.

I've seen quite a few cars dyno, mine as well with befor and after mods. Honestly from what I have seen you'll gain maybe 5-8RWHP from adding the FAST on a stock motor, in the upper RPM's.
Whether you believe me or not is up to you. I know what we all saw. The car in question was the fastest stock internal LS1 on this site. If I remember right, he was running 11.5 or so when this was done. This intake was for his 408 that was being built and was just a "what if" kind of thing. Nobody thought it would make much power, even Mamo. It made the power.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rob
Whether you believe me or not is up to you. I know what we all saw. The car in question was the fastest stock internal LS1 on this site. If I remember right, he was running 11.5 or so when this was done. This intake was for his 408 that was being built and was just a "what if" kind of thing. Nobody thought it would make much power, even Mamo. It made the power.
Which is why I can care less about dyno #'s, there are too many variables and they are not very consistent. So I could care less about what I gained dyno # wise when I had put on the FAST LSX. All I know is it gave me 2-3 tenths off my ET, consistently.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:57 PM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Which is why I can care less about dyno #'s, there are too many variables and they are not very consistent. So I could care less about what I gained dyno # wise when I had put on the FAST LSX. All I know is it gave me 2-3 tenths off my ET, consistently.
See that is just it. There was no variable. It was dynoed on the same day, same dyno, about an hour after getting done before it was installed. It was never unstrapped from the dyno.

A dyno is a tool to see what, if any, gains were made. If it showed a gain, then it made power. Period.

There are just as many variables at the track. DA, temp, track prep, etc. You can claim anything to skew numbers.

All I can say is what I saw with my own two eyes that day. I was there when it was getting strapped on and taken off.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rob
See that is just it. There was no variable. It was dynoed on the same day, same dyno, about an hour after getting done before it was installed. It was never unstrapped from the dyno.

A dyno is a tool to see what, if any, gains were made. If it showed a gain, then it made power. Period.

There are just as many variables at the track. DA, temp, track prep, etc. You can claim anything to skew numbers.

All I can say is what I saw with my own two eyes that day. I was there when it was getting strapped on and taken off.
A dyno is a tool used for tuning cars.

All I am saying is dyno numbers mean squat IMO. I could care less if you saw that person make 100RWHP by adding a FAST. On 90% of the cars you are only going to gain 5-7RWHP on an almost stock car and 15-20 on a cam+bolt on+etc car. Of course there are some that will gain more and some that will gain less. This all depends on the dyno and DA.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Staging Lane

Well, it's getting installed as we speak...let's see if it's worthwhile.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zer0psi
Wow. I think I may have to keep it then. I may just end up putting on my Kooks, and end up with full bolt-ons. I was resisting the mod bug but I'm really horrible at it so far.
Ya I tried that too. Didnt work very well. Figured after the first year, which comes up in a few days, that I've owned it I've invested around $7,000. I've done some go fast, looks and luxory mods though.

Quick Reply: FAST90 on a stock LS2?