Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Can anyone link me to a walk through for a clutch swap in an '04 Goat?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can anyone link me to a walk through for a clutch swap in an '04 Goat?

I gotta do the clutch in my girls goat comin up here soon. Her clutch has been goin out for a while and one of my buddies had an ls6 clutch and pressure plate sittin in his attic that he gave to us, so i'm gonna go ahead and throw it in, so anyone have any write ups or how to's? I wasn't doing my own work on my Camaro when it was still a 6-speed (it was stock and I was still a newbie learning about cars!), puttin the turbo 400 in was one of the first things I had done, and after that is when I started working on the car myself when I realized how expensive it was to pay someone to do the work!!! So a clutch is something i've never done and I would feel a lot better if I had something to go off of before just jumping into it. Thanks for any help guys!
Old 02-13-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dude, a 3 hour job man. Easy.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by oct03gto
Dude, a 3 hour job man. Easy.

Yeah, it shouldn't be too bad, i'd just like something to go off of since i've never even pulled a manual trans before, just so I don't get stuck with any problems, and a buddy said I could do it without even losing the fluid so I wouldn't have to bleed it, is that true?
Old 02-14-2008, 07:53 AM
TECH Resident

There is a detailed write up on ls1gto.com knowledge base (I know because I helped write it)
Old 02-14-2008, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Make sure to split the bellhousing from the trans in the car. If you do so, and give about 3" of room between the two. You can acess the two 10mm bolts holding the slave to the trans. Use a string or something to keep the slave hanging while the trans is dropped. Then remove the bellhousing and clutch assembly.

BTW, you can actually remove the shifter from below the car.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by oct03gto
Make sure to split the bellhousing from the trans in the car. If you do so, and give about 3" of room between the two. You can acess the two 10mm bolts holding the slave to the trans. Use a string or something to keep the slave hanging while the trans is dropped. Then remove the bellhousing and clutch assembly.

BTW, you can actually remove the shifter from below the car.
Yeah, I actually did it with a buddy tonight and that's what we did, and we removed the little console and removed the 2 10mm bolts holding the shifter on before dropping the trans.

We also found another problem, the damn clutch reservoir was almost empty and had sludge in it (I never even thought to look at it cuz we just got the car like 7 months ago or so and it was full when I checked it and we only put like 10,000 miles on it and only been to the strip like 2 or 3 times with it), so we filled it back up, guess i'll have to keep a better eye on it now, but I think I may need to bleed the clutch (which I really don't wanna do, cuz there's gotta be air in the system, cuz the pedal is engaging very close to the floor, but it should've done that before if it was due to the low fluid and it didn't, so now i'm a little confused!

Oh and WTF is with the GTO's, they are very ricer importish with the way things are setup, damn thing was a pain in the *** with everything, the driveshaft is like retarded and sucked to get out, we had to drop the entire exhaust system to get it and the tranny out, it was just stupid!
Old 02-15-2008, 05:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Suspension was designed by a German that used to work for BMW.

And that sludge is actually grease from when the master cylinder was built. You will find the same thing with the brake master cylinder as well. Keep an eye on the clutch fluid. If it keeps going low, double check the slave. It could be leaking.

Quick Reply: Can anyone link me to a walk through for a clutch swap in an '04 Goat?