Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

lose a few lbs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lose a few lbs?

ive heard removing the y-brace ( which btw i have no clue what it is lol )
and replacing the skid plate saves round 60-70 lbs and should be the only real weight reduction on DD goats. ive seen threads where people get all crazy with seat deletes and stuff.

i just wanna know if these two things should be enough for a mild weight reduction or can i get lighter safer?
Old 04-09-2008, 02:30 AM
11 Second Club

you can always cut off your left leg (and remove your heart) you're driving an "A4 Car"

but really,
learn to be a "Really good Driver" before you bother 150-200 lbs

if 200 lbs will gain you 0.2sec in the quarter
you will never know if it was the weight reduction that helped until you can consistantly run within .2 sec every run
Old 04-09-2008, 12:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The front skid plate is about 18 lbs. So, if you replace it with the 5 lbs. BMR skid plate, that takes off a total of about 12-13 lbs.

The "V" brace is 14-15 lbs. and is located directly under the trunk. But, you have to first remove the plastic shield under the car to get at the brace. I remounted the plastic because it helps with aerodynamics a little. You'll need to buy four 2" diameter fender washers that have a 3/8" center hole to remount the plastic cover.

For racing, ditch the spare, jack, tools, and chocks which weigh about 40 lbs total. Might as well pull the floor mats out too. Front floor mats: 4 lbs. and rear floor mats: 2.5 lbs.

Swapping in headers and aftermarket exhaust saves some weight. The stock manifolds average close to 14 lbs. each. Headers and catless exhaust system will reduce weight by about 30 lbs. (depending on what you get).

If you are really serious, gut the trunk. Fuel tank cage is 25 lbs., the fuel tank cage cover is 2 lbs, and the spare tire cover weighs 6 lbs.

Replacing the stock battery for an Optima will save 4-6 pounds. The Hood liner is a couple pounds. The strut tower brace is 3 pounds (I'd only remove that for racing).

Lighter tires and wheels will really help since this is unsprung weight. My new SSR wheels are 9-10 lbs. lighter than a stock 17" wheel.

Some people even pull the exhaust heat shields off.

Clean out the extra crap from your car. I removed the CD wallet that I had stuffed under the seat, pulled all the CDs out of the console, cleaned out 3 years worth of oil change receipts, map, owner's manual, and other junk from the glove box. There was a total of 3 pounds of “stuff” removed when I weighed it.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by batboy; 04-09-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by batboy
The front skid plate is about 18 lbs. So, if you replace it with the 5 lbs. BMR skid plate, that takes off a total of about 12-13 lbs.

The "V" brace is 14-15 lbs. and is located directly under the trunk. But, you have to first remove the plastic shield under the car to get at the brace. I remounted the plastic because it helps with aerodynamics a little. You'll need to buy four 2" diameter fender washers that have a 3/8" center hole to remount the plastic cover.

For racing, ditch the spare, jack, tools, and chocks which weigh about 40 lbs total. Might as well pull the floor mats out too. Front floor mats: 4 lbs. and rear floor mats: 2.5 lbs.

Swapping in headers and aftermarket exhaust saves some weight. The stock manifolds average close to 14 lbs. each. Headers and catless exhaust system will reduce weight by about 30 lbs. (depending on what you get).

If you are really serious, gut the trunk. Fuel tank cage is 25 lbs., the fuel tank cage cover is 2 lbs, and the spare tire cover weighs 6 lbs.

Replacing the stock battery for an Optima will save 4-6 pounds. The Hood liner is a couple pounds. The strut tower brace is 3 pounds (I'd only remove that for racing).

Lighter tires and wheels will really help since this is unsprung weight. My new SSR wheels are 9-10 lbs. lighter than a stock 17" wheel.

Some people even pull the exhaust heat shields off.

Clean out the extra crap from your car. I did removed the CD wallet I had stuffed under the seat, pulled all the CDs out of the console, cleaned out 3 years worth of oil change receipts, map, owner's manual, and other junk from the glove box. There was a total of 3 pounds of “stuff” removed when I weighed it.

Hope that helps.
that sounds like a good "mild " weight reduction right there.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gasoline weighs 6.5 to 6.7 lbs. per gallon. I never go to the track with more than a 1/2 tank.

I added a trans cooler (2 lbs.) in front of the radiator which is the worst place to add weight. So, to compensate, I drilled a bunch of 1/2" holes into the metal bumper brace right behind the plastic nose until it was 2 lbs. lighter.

I've been trying to lose some weight off my butt too. Most of us are probably packing a few extra pounds. Eat some salads and work out a bit.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull the radio on race night. Hell pull everything that isnt needed to get you down the 1320. Relocate the battery to the trunk.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:29 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by batboy
Gasoline weighs 6.5 to 6.7 lbs. per gallon. I never go to the track with more than a 1/2 tank.

I try not to go with less than 3/4 tank of fuel (normally full tank)

I like traction

but,
what do I know,

I'm only one of the quickest 60' M6 guys in the world
Old 04-10-2008, 03:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go on a diet?

Quick Reply: lose a few lbs?