Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Thinking about switching from a 01 formula to an 04-06 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about switching from a 01 formula to an 04-06 GTO

Hi guys. my name is Chris. I currently have a beautiful 2001 black Formula with 81,000 miles on the odometer. Also has t-tops, ws6 hood, and ws6 wheels. It has an ls2 swapped into it from an 05 gto. The ls2 has about 13,000 miles on it. The tranny is also a built 4l65e not 4l60e. I have a small converter and full bolt-ons pretty much. Now here is what I am pondering. I recently went and test drove an a4 black 2004 GTO. I had 45,000 miles. I liked the car alot. The outside is just ok. The inside is ten times nicer and more comfortable than my 01 formula. I will be seriously looking to step in to a GTO very soon. I will get the 05-06 model if my funds allow for it. I know the 05-06 models have the ramair hood, dual exhaust, and ls2 engine. Are there any other mods that make the 05-06 one better than the 04. Other than what I have previously stated. Also what kind of gearing does it come with and what kind of rear end? I figure it is finally time to step up to a newer vehicle and I would like a brief rundown of the GTO. The pros and the cons of the car for both models, 04, 05-06. Thank you very much and I appreciate any help you can give me.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

Wow. 14 views and no replies at all. I guess maybe I should stick with my own kind and keep the formula. Whenever we post things in other sections people do actually respond and give helpful information. I sure hope somebody comes forth and answers some of my questions. Don't be afraid I won't bite.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:14 PM
Teching In

do it
Old 04-14-2008, 06:18 PM
Teching In

Other than the LS2 upgrade, hood (non functional) and exhaust outlets, the 2005 and 2006 GTO also has upgraded brakes. The front rotors are 14" rather than the 13" rotors found on the 2004 model. The 2005 and 2006 models also offered 18" wheels. The price difference between the 2004 and 2005/2006 models does not seem to be enough to justify buying a 2004.

I previously owned a 1998 Camaro. Unfortunately, it was stolen in March of 2004. The two cars are different. As you mentioned in your post, the GTO has a much nicer interior. However, the exterior is quite bland (especially the 2004).
Old 04-14-2008, 06:33 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/index.php has alot more info on the subject and more GTO members that can help. i went from 01 Z28 to a 06 GTO and i have not looked backed. the rear end is a 3.46 i believe for all the year auto and stick. other then their are different colors for the years.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

The 05-06 also have the lighted steering wheel controls. The 04 has the same controls but they dont light up.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Thank you for the replies guys. Also what is this big fuss people make about the irs on these vehicles. Never launched a car with irs before. Is it really that difficult to do? Also does it break easy? What other possible downfalls or flaws does the car have that you GTO owners would probably know? Just like to try and find out the things I want to know. I basicly would like to hear from GTO owners about what they think is wrong with the car. If anything? Leaning more torwards the 05-06 now as well. Post up please. All your information is very much appreciated.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by b15nut
The 05-06 also have the lighted steering wheel controls. The 04 has the same controls but they dont light up.
2006 is the only year the steering wheels controls are lighted. 2006 also inlcuded a power door lock switch, which is located on the center console. The 2006 GTO also has "black" tail lamp assemblies. These seem to be very popular as many 2004 and 2005 owners have switched to the 2006 tail lamps (myself included).
Old 04-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by smokin2001formula
Thank you for the replies guys. Also what is this big fuss people make about the irs on these vehicles. Never launched a car with irs before. Is it really that difficult to do? Also does it break easy? What other possible downfalls or flaws does the car have that you GTO owners would probably know? Just like to try and find out the things I want to know. I basicly would like to hear from GTO owners about what they think is wrong with the car. If anything? Leaning more torwards the 05-06 now as well. Post up please. All your information is very much appreciated.
My GTO suffered from the infamous "strut rub" issue. I believe that is the most common problem on the GTO's. It tends to show up on cars with the 17" wheels more due to the width of the tire. Other than that, I don't know of any common problem with the car. I have just under 43,000 miles on mine and it's been good to me so far.

The IRS can cause quite a bit of wheel hop. Narrow tires from the factory do not help. Getting a decent sized tire in the rear is also a pain. Fenders either have to be rolled, or you have to spend a good amount of money on a set of wheels.

Last edited by BRMike; 04-14-2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

oh when you turn the traction control off there isnt a huge light on your dash! personal preference. it is harder to get into the back seats then the fbody but once you get there is is comfortable enough for two people.
The wheel hop caused by the IRS gets tiresome but after you get to know your goat its a thing of the past.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:31 PM
Staging Lane

Get yourself some drag bags and you wont have the wheel hop issue. I would say the stock suspension eventually is a let down since the springs start to sag badly. Just get some stock height springs from Pedders, King, or Lovell along with bushings to tighten her up.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:39 PM
Launching!

Do It!
Old 04-15-2008, 07:15 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Look at the thread titled "Who went from a f-body to GTO". You question has already been answered.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:45 AM
12 Second Club

Do it.

And buy this one: http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232934
Old 04-15-2008, 09:18 AM
TECH Resident

Smokin 01 Formula, I've read and read threads like the one you've started and the one that has been suggested to read. I have driven a few goats, from ones with bolt-on setups to heads and cammed cars. All were great! I'am sold on one, I currently daily drive my heads and cam Ws6, I'am buying the goat for a DD.

From the ones I've have test driven compared to the TA, its great. I dont think I'll regret giving up my TA as a DD. I would regret if I got rid of it though.

Do it bro!
Old 04-15-2008, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

Yeah I am going to. I think the test drive itself made up my mind as far as the decision to upgrage from my f-body. Even though the specific one I drove was an a4 04 model the car was still all around hands down better than my formula.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by smokin2001formula
Yeah I am going to. I think the test drive itself made up my mind as far as the decision to upgrage from my f-body. Even though the specific one I drove was an a4 04 model the car was still all around hands down better than my formula.
I know right, I got turned on to goats through a good friend thats one here, (Ls7Junkie) he picked a 06 M6 BOM with 17's. I drove it and was hooked. From power, straight line acceleration, cornering and comfort, wow the comfort. Car was great in every aspect.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:51 AM
Launching!

The biggest diff's I can come up with.....(never owned a late model F body but have worked on them).

If you do your own motor work / maintentance, the GTO is really quite nice to work on. **** isn't stuffed into the firewall, under the windshield. This meant a lot to me...as I do my own work and time is valuable. Header install on the goat was a 4 hour job, I did the clutch at the same time and took about a full day for everything. Headers and a clutch/converter/cam and this becomes one impressive car quick...whether it's 04 or 05/6.

Rear end...from the factory it ain't well prepared for the drag strip, but if you road race or autocross it's great as-is. The center section I would say is every bit as strong as the Fbody 10 bolt, if not stronger. Ring gear I believe is bigger.

Wheel hop from a standing start is first issue...springs/air bags and no problems. 1 hour or so to do this. Stronger halfshafts are now becoming more affordable, and a recommended upgrade. Easy to change out, when you have the rear end in the air for springs might as well bolt them in.
You might sink $900 in parts for the GTO rear end...but you can upgrade axles/posi/diff cover in a 10 bolt and still splatter the pinion.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:30 AM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by A_VAS
The biggest diff's I can come up with.....(never owned a late model F body but have worked on them).

If you do your own motor work / maintentance, the GTO is really quite nice to work on. **** isn't stuffed into the firewall, under the windshield. This meant a lot to me...as I do my own work and time is valuable. Header install on the goat was a 4 hour job, I did the clutch at the same time and took about a full day for everything. Headers and a clutch/converter/cam and this becomes one impressive car quick...whether it's 04 or 05/6.

Rear end...from the factory it ain't well prepared for the drag strip, but if you road race or autocross it's great as-is. The center section I would say is every bit as strong as the Fbody 10 bolt, if not stronger. Ring gear I believe is bigger.

Wheel hop from a standing start is first issue...springs/air bags and no problems. 1 hour or so to do this. Stronger halfshafts are now becoming more affordable, and a recommended upgrade. Easy to change out, when you have the rear end in the air for springs might as well bolt them in.
You might sink $900 in parts for the GTO rear end...but you can upgrade axles/posi/diff cover in a 10 bolt and still splatter the pinion.
+1 Get an 05. Best ones out there IMHO. 04 was like the teeth cutter for the GOAT, 05 I belive was the best, the 06 had its share of problems more tan 04 & 05 because they pretty much knew it was going to be cancelled. I got mine, and never looked back. I love it, and I am glad I held off from getting an 04, and got my 05

Mods are easy, and plentifull, just like any other car out there get it breath right, and work from there

Last edited by 1BaadGoat; 04-18-2008 at 01:42 AM.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

sounds like you have a real nice F-body, the goat will probably be slower do to the fact that it has smaller rear tires, IRS, and I believe it is a little heavier. On the positive side the interior is very nice, not 80's like as the F-bodies are.

One other downfall is since the cars were made in australia and only in the states for 3 years aftermarket parts are at a premium!

Quick Reply: Thinking about switching from a 01 formula to an 04-06 GTO