Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Shifting in a GTO

Old 05-27-2008, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting in a GTO

I'm looking for a t56 trans for my 79 T/A conversion and came across one for sale out of a 2005 GTO which I'm assuming has M12 gearing. I know a lot has been said about the stock shifter being sloppy but is there some type of lockout associated with this transmission that prevents the driver from shifting into certain gears when accelerating or does it shift like a normal shifter? If so, can this be removed by using an f-body shifter?

Thanks
Old 05-27-2008, 07:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAm Mania
I'm looking for a t56 trans for my 79 T/A conversion and came across one for sale out of a 2005 GTO which I'm assuming has M12 gearing. I know a lot has been said about the stock shifter being sloppy but is there some type of lockout associated with this transmission that prevents the driver from shifting into certain gears when accelerating or does it shift like a normal shifter? If so, can this be removed by using an f-body shifter?

Thanks
Feels normal to me, alot like the stoxk Hurst shifter in my 02 SS.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

best thing to do is to buy a GMM "rip-a-shift" shifter, the stock shifter seemes like it was made for a truck not a sports coup. u can still run the car, it just needs more effort with shifting
Old 05-27-2008, 07:41 PM
12 Second Club

I have the GMM ripshift (not to be associated with GM) in my GTO. It was a night and day difference. That stock shifter blows!
Old 05-28-2008, 08:34 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a solenoid in the area where the shifter ball mounts to the "cup" (I don't know the correct terms for all of these things) that prevents from shifting 1-2 during certain rpms when accelerating (it shoots this little knub out). This can be removed by a simple electronic plug/harness. All the vendors sell them. You will have this issue with all T56's (f-body, y-body & GTO).

Now, since this is going into your 79 T/A, I don't know if you'd have to even worry about it considering it won't be electronically controlled.

Either way, it's not the shifter that remedies the situation.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:09 AM
TECH Resident

The T-56 (M12) does have a CAGS (computer aided gear selection) solenoid. CAGS is designed to prevent you from shifting into 2nd and 3rd during light acceleration. Not sure what happens if its not connected to the PCM (powertrain control module). I would assume that it would default to the open position that would allow you shift to 2nd and 3rd. Worst case you can get a CAGS eliminator kit (resistors) for ~$20 :thumbs:

Keep in mind the shifter location on the GTO transmission is about 4 inches further back than a F-body, that may impact your decision as well.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Phantom_LS2
I have the GMM ripshift (not to be associated with GM) in my GTO. It was a night and day difference. That stock shifter blows!
+10000000000000000

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shifting in a GTO