Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Muffler Recommendations for an '04

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Muffler Recommendations for an '04

I have a stock '04 GTO that I drive to work a couple days a week. It's way to quiet for me and I'd like it to sound more like my Trans Am, which has the GMMG catback system. Since I don't really want to spend $900 on a nice catback system, I'd like to just get a couple of mufflers to make it sound a littler meaner. I've heard a few clips of stock systems with Spintech mufflers and they sound pretty good. So here are my questions:

1. Do you recommend the Spintechs?
2. If not what mufflers do you recommend that sound fairly loud at idle and very loud at WOT, but don't produce drone at highway speeds?
3. What size mufflers do I need (I'm guessing this is a 3" system throughout, but I'm not sure.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NIRVANA
I have a stock '04 GTO that I drive to work a couple days a week. It's way to quiet for me and I'd like it to sound more like my Trans Am, which has the GMMG catback system. Since I don't really want to spend $900 on a nice catback system, I'd like to just get a couple of mufflers to make it sound a littler meaner. I've heard a few clips of stock systems with Spintech mufflers and they sound pretty good. So here are my questions:

1. Do you recommend the Spintechs?
2. If not what mufflers do you recommend that sound fairly loud at idle and very loud at WOT, but don't produce drone at highway speeds?
3. What size mufflers do I need (I'm guessing this is a 3" system throughout, but I'm not sure.
1. Here are two vids of mine with spintechs (before h-pipe):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1tbKRGy6eY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgEVNFTwhsE

2. They are a little loud, but I'm putting headers on because they aren't loud enough for me. I'd say get some flowmasters if you want the classic muscle sound.

3. Stock '04 pipe is 2.25"
Old 08-14-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks HQuakers. Your car sounds really good. How is the drone at about 2k RPMs? I can tolerate some drone, but I do have a 45 minute drive so if it's bad I'd have to go with something a little quieter. Which of the sponsors carries just the mufflers? I looked on some of the sponsor sites but they pretty much all had catback systems only.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

maryland speed has spintech mufflers that's where I was thinking of gettin them to...150 per set
Old 08-14-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

Does anyone know what the stock configuration is? So should I get 2.5" mufflers with offset inlets/outlets, or should I get the ones that are centered?
Old 08-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks HQuakers. Your car sounds really good. How is the drone at about 2k RPMs? I can tolerate some drone, but I do have a 45 minute drive so if it's bad I'd have to go with something a little quieter. Which of the sponsors carries just the mufflers? I looked on some of the sponsor sites but they pretty much all had catback systems only.
I drive 45 mins to work myself. 35 mins at 55mph and 10 mins at 75mph. There is a little drone I guess, but not nearly enough to make anything rattle. Plus, I have either the windows open and/or the radio on, so I can barely hear it anyway. Get them from Marylandspeed. I was going to buy from them, but I got a deal from a member over at LS1gto.

Does anyone know what the stock configuration is? So should I get 2.5" mufflers with offset inlets/outlets, or should I get the ones that are centered?
The stock configuration is offset in/center out but to make it work on the '04 I believe you need offset in/inline offset out. I think if you go center/center you won't have enough room to put them next to one another. I'll see if I can get some undercar pictures for you so you can see my setup.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HQuakers
The stock configuration is offset in/center out but to make it work on the '04 I believe you need offset in/inline offset out. I think if you go center/center you won't have enough room to put them next to one another. I'll see if I can get some undercar pictures for you so you can see my setup.
Cool I'd appreciate that. Also are you using the Pro Street ones or the Sportsmen?
Old 08-15-2008, 07:20 PM
12 Second Club

I'd say just get a flowmaster catback... I have SLP lm1.. I like being loud...
Old 08-15-2008, 10:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dee99gt
I'd say just get a flowmaster catback... I have SLP lm1.. I like being loud...
Yuck...Flowmaster catback systems don't sound that great in my opinion. I have the American Thunder system on my Mustang and it's way too quiet. Basically I want something between that and the Loudmouth systems.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

I have the flowmaster cat back and think it is plenty loud but I have LT and catless mids as well. I liked the sound with just the catback but was a bit too quiet for me. I would suggest to find a muffler/exhaust shop in your area and have them fab up a cat back for you. Shouldn't be more than 300-400 with mufflers. Much cheaper than getting a pre made one. I am going this route soon since I have a bumper with dual cutouts sitting around.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Staging Lane

Cool I'd appreciate that. Also are you using the Pro Street ones or the Sportsmen?
Pro Streets. 2.5" Stainless pipe, Stolenfox H-Pipe, Powdercoated black tips, and the mufflers. Total cost was about $450.

It could be tucked under a little better, but I don't really care about that much. You can see how you need to clear the diff and driveshaft.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:50 PM
12 Second Club

Not sure about an 04 but I have a 06 with the resonator replaced with a H-Pipe and Flowmaster super 40 mufflers. Sounds sweet.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have Spin Tech Pro Streets in the stock location and they sound good altho they have kind of a unique "hollow" sound". it's hard for me to say how much louder as my headers and cam added a lot to the sound. if you want to start cheaper and have it sound really good get a set of Moroso Spiral Flows ( i have a set of those too)and have them welded into the stock location. they're not raspy at all, are pretty loud and you should have no drone. best of all they're cheap. IMHO if you want performance most of the cat back systems are a waste of good GO money.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:55 PM
Launching!

Corsa all the way.... It's expensive but flow is one of the best. Wicked sounding at WOT and no drone.... Besides Flowbusters don't flow worth a **** and sound kinda tinny. You're not gonna really get that muscle car sound from them on this car....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PJSnfI4pD0
Old 08-27-2008, 04:02 PM
FormerVendor

Bassani all the way. I've heard just about every catback available for the GTO and nothing beats Corsa nor Bassani. But for the '04 GTO, I'd have to say the Bassani, hands down. Had it on my old '04 and I got compliments on it from everyone that heard my car. It sounds incredible, especially with headers. Quality and fitment is top-notch as well!

So many people have never heard this system in person, some never even knew that it existed. To everyone that we've recommended it to and has bought it they have told us how much they loved it. And for just over $600 you cannot go wrong

http://marylandspeed.com/bassani-sta...to5-p-925.html
Old 08-31-2008, 10:57 PM
12 Second Club

Buddy of mine was thinking about putting some bullets on his car, anyone done that?

Quick Reply: Muffler Recommendations for an '04