Project Comments & Discussion Use this forum to discuss Sponsor projects.

weldors/fabricators

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 10:45 AM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default weldors/fabricators

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/651001-question-you-weldors-fabricators.html
just curious to see if each shop does it differently or if everyone uses the same method.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

i don't you'll find anyone who disagrees with what x-factor said:

The only reason you would ever not use filler rod for tubing is when you have overlapping seams, and its not structural. Neither apply for what you are asking
i've seen some guys on the tool forums say that they've been taught or told that there is no need for filler if you're doing a butt weld tight together or whatnot, but one factor in getting a pipe weld certified(or in just making it as strong as possible in general) is that the welded area is the same thickness as the pieces going together(within certain parameters)
in a system that is going to see pressure, or in a structural situation, you DO NOT want the weld to be thinner that the base metal, which is what you would get with no filler metal....
Old 02-02-2007, 01:24 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by jdustu
i don't you'll find anyone who disagrees with what x-factor said:

i've seen some guys on the tool forums say that they've been taught or told that there is no need for filler if you're doing a butt weld tight together or whatnot, but one factor in getting a pipe weld certified(or in just making it as strong as possible in general) is that the welded area is the same thickness as the pieces going together(within certain parameters)
in a system that is going to see pressure, or in a structural situation, you DO NOT want the weld to be thinner that the base metal, which is what you would get with no filler metal....
well when doing a tig root on pipe you have to jam the filler rod in there and create a small bead on the inside of the pipe which means full penetration... i was actually doing that this morning.... i like tig.... i was just curios though as to what most guys do...

Quick Reply: weldors/fabricators