Go Back   LS1TECH > WEBSITE ACTIVITY FORUMS > Racer's Lounge
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 12-09-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0
Default TBI heads on a carb'd motor?

I was wondering if Throttle Body Injection Heads will work with a carburated application. I have a 350 Throttle body motor that i hope to swap to carb and don't know if i can keep the TBI heads or not?
ERVNZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

I had this combo on my old truck.

Performer intake on a TBI 305, had a shitload of TQ for the low displacement engine and 3.42 gears. Really fell flat around 4000 RPM though.
Mavmavv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 2
Send a message via AIM to NJSPDER

What are you using the engine for. Any heads will work fine on the right application.

Most LO5's(350tbi) actually have the same heads as the f-body L98(350tpi)

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:03 AM   #4
TECH Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1

Sure, I put a carb manifold on a TBI motor. No sweat. It was even a pre-86 manifold, I just wallered the center holes out a little so the intake bolts went in. Will work just fine.

Camaroholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:09 AM   #5
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Default decent 3rd gen engine

I want to take the 305 TPI in my current turd gen(87) and put a 350 Carb'd motor with ported heads and decent cam in. I was thinking of a Performer RPM Intake with Performer Carb. I just got the car painted High Performance White with Bright Red stripes and 1/4" pinstripes and I think it deserves a decent engine now as well.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:56 PM   #6
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

The TBI heads are junk for flow. Get yourself a set of aftermarket SBC heads, or the GM Vortec heads are pretty good as well.
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
Last time I walked into an auto zone an employee told me "have you tried to google it? I dont even really work on cars"
Its like having a vegetarian as head chef at a steak house
AronZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:53 PM   #7
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to NJSPDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERVNZ28 View Post
I want to take the 305 TPI in my current turd gen(87) and put a 350 Carb'd motor with ported heads and decent cam in. I was thinking of a Performer RPM Intake with Performer Carb. I just got the car painted High Performance White with Bright Red stripes and 1/4" pinstripes and I think it deserves a decent engine now as well.
Never put an Edelbock carb on anything you want to enjoy. Biggest pieces of **** going. Get a Holley or a Demon, I would use a q-jet over an Edelbrock/Carter.

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:59 PM   #8
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSPDER View Post
Never put an Edelbock carb on anything you want to enjoy. Biggest pieces of **** going. Get a Holley or a Demon, I would use a q-jet over an Edelbrock/Carter.
I disagree 100%. Edelbrocks are great carbs if you want to slap it on there and forget about it. I ran one for many years with no problems. Sure I coulda had a few more HP, but it was a street car and gave me no headaches.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:00 PM   #9
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by AronZ28 View Post
The TBI heads are junk for flow. Get yourself a set of aftermarket SBC heads, or the GM Vortec heads are pretty good as well.
Vortec heads will work much better than any TBI head. They can be had really easily too. I second this post.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:09 PM   #10
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavmavv View Post
I disagree 100%. Edelbrocks are great carbs if you want to slap it on there and forget about it. I ran one for many years with no problems. Sure I coulda had a few more HP, but it was a street car and gave me no headaches.
I can't say Edelbrocks are the biggest POS, but I can say HOlley/Demon are a much better carb. Not only that, they look better under the hood. I can't stand the 'sideways' mount look of the Ed.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:10 AM   #11
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

If i get Vortec heads what do i have to do as far as having a compatible Intake that will bolt on without modifications.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:53 PM   #12
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERVNZ28 View Post
If i get Vortec heads what do i have to do as far as having a compatible Intake that will bolt on without modifications.
Vortec heads are gonna have a different intake IIRC.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:41 PM   #13
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 13
Send a message via AIM to redbandit98

I have done this myself. I put a holley 600 on my old chevy truck that was tbi injected. Easiest thing to do is just buy a new intake for the 4 barrel to bolt to the tbi heads. Yes, you can just modify the center bolts if your strapped for cash. I also recommend the vortec heads. They flow great and are waay cheaper than aftermarkets. Matter of fact, i have a set thats been freshly rebuilt with upgraded springs, new seals, etc.. you should probably buy them. As for your question, neither the tbi intake, or any of the older intakes will work with the vortec heads. You have to have a specific vortec manifold. They are no more money than any other intake. They make them for 4 barrels, and even one for tbi injection to vortec heads (its a little more money though). As for saying the tbi heads and tpi heads were the same, they are not. The tpi heads outlflowed tbi heads quite a bit more. The 193 heads which are what you have on your truck now suck big *** for top end power. If you are wanting a stump puller that wont rev past 4k, then these are for you. Those heads work great for big heavy tall geared trucks, or big *** boat cars that just put around and dont see any kind of track time.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:06 PM   #14
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

In the name of saving money... Can I use my Tuned Port 305 Heads on say, a Edelbrock Performer Intake or even a stock cast iron 4 barrel manifold. Also, these are 305 Heads. Basically, I'm wandering if I can use TPI Heads with a carb'd application. Thanks for the feedback
Old 12-12-2008, 04:41 PM   #15
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 7

Your average TBI 350 will be no stronger than even your 305 TPI, even with its pathetic little cam. Don't bother putting a cam in a TBI car with stock heads, you'll probably lose power.

Putting the 305 heads on the 350 with a 4 barrel on top would really wake up the performance. The heads will bolt right on and significantly increase the compression. If you're the DIY type go ahead and port the heads a little. The heads are better than the TBI stuff, but they're still so bad that even a blind monkey could hog them out a make power - you don't need to be a master porter to make gains on those heads Put a mild cam in it around the 218-220 duration range, Performer RPM intake and a quality 4 barrel carb and it will run nice.

And like Camaroholic said, you can use an older SBC carb intake. You just need to elongate the center bolt holes a little to make the bolts line up with the head. Don't bother with a stock iron or even stock aluminum intake. Don't bother with the Performer unless you need EGR. The Performer RPM intake can be found dirt cheap, under $75 in used but good condition.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:41 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
305, 600, 91, buy, carb, chevy, data, flow, head, heads, holley, intake, porting, tbi, vs