Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Old 08-04-2009, 08:06 AM   #1
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1
Send a message via AIM to UnZFeat'd Send a message via Yahoo to UnZFeat'd
Default How to get fiberglass off your skin ITCHY STUFF!!!

So i wrapped my headers in the cheap stuff for 40 bucks a pack that you get at autozone and, as i am sure the case is with most other header wraps, i go back down there to change the gaskets and i get the itchy fiberglass stuff all over my arms. I would just like to post some kind of relief or see if anyone else has some other suggestions about how to get rid of the itchiness.

1. First thing i tried was washing my hands with dish soap (didnt have any fast orange)

2. Next thing i try is of course taking a shower and scrubbing

3. None of that worked, so i... yeah... i shaved my arms, because i read that it helps as the fiberglass particles can't cling to it.

4. I rubbed deoderant on my arms (read that would help, too)

5. I took an extremely painfully hot shower, and kept the parts of my body (arms) that were affected under the water for a long time, then once my arms had turned completely red, i switched the water to painfully cold water.

6. During the shower i also rubbed face stuff on it, (Clean n Clear daily pore cleanser) since fiberglass also gets into your pores.

The last step helped the most and really cut down on the itchiness. I might be able to go to sleep tonight. I dont know if the shaving thing helped or not, but the important thing is that it doesnt itch as bad. I know i am not the only one that wraps his or her headers, so i hope that this, as well as any future info that can be posted to get rid of it will help someone.

1999 Chevy Camaro SS M6
Racetronix 255lph w/ hotwire, 200amp alt, tb bypass, !CAGS!, NGK BR7EFs, MSD 8.5mm, Whisper lid, K&N filter, SLP smoothe bellows, Strano Bilstein HD shocks SOLD!!!!
UnZFeat'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:31 AM   #2
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 76

Yeah man, I know where you're coming from. I deal with fiberglass on almost a daily basis at work at the Caterpillar Proving Grounds. We wrap almost all of our exhaust components in a figerglass insulation. Best way to not deal with it is just stay away from it or if you have to work around it wear long sleeves/gloves. Really, you just kind of have to let nature take it's course when you get into it though. I've never had anything work besides just toughing it out for a few days til it clears up on it's own...

lol at shaving your arms though... lol
98RedBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:51 AM   #3
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now

yeah i know what you mean. Working at a body shop is how i developed my deep disdain for fiberglass. This header wrap just reminded me how much i used to hate this stuff, so im gonna go take another shower and put some more clean n clear on my arms

1999 Chevy Camaro SS M6
Racetronix 255lph w/ hotwire, 200amp alt, tb bypass, !CAGS!, NGK BR7EFs, MSD 8.5mm, Whisper lid, K&N filter, SLP smoothe bellows, Strano Bilstein HD shocks SOLD!!!!
Old 08-04-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
11 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to EDS01SS

Never try to wash it off with hot water. it opens your pores and lets the fiberglass get embedded into the skin. The best thing I have found to do is to wash it off in cold water first to get the majority of it off. still going to have fiberglass on you but atleast it wont be as bad
Old 08-04-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
11 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 11

12 pk of miller lite should take care of the problem
Pharcyde50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:19 PM   #6
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0

used to deal with it every day in hvac take a cold shower as it will close your pores and keep it from imbedding any deeper. try to wear clothing that will keep it from being an issue longs sleeve loose fitting shirt and gloves. hot showers only open your pores and get it in deeper.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:27 PM   #7
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharcyde50 View Post
12 pk of miller lite should take care of the problem
I would say this would probably be the best solution!

I used to work at a Yacht Yard and as you know those Boats are completely made of fiberglass, so these guys who had to put the fiberglass layers in or had to grind the hardened stuff, all of them used full body protection.
So if I have to deal with header wrapping I use one of these cheap painters overalls and thin rubber gloves, no itch at all!
Just make sure you pull the gloves all around your sleeves so nothing can get to your ams
LS1 out of a '99 Camaro: PAXTON Novi2000, Siemens 60lbs/hr inj., CompCams XR269, Hi-Tech Pushrods, YellaTerra 1.8, SLP ValveSprings, Titanium Retainers, Rollmaster double roller, pinned ATI-917279 Balancer, K&N Cold air, Melling HV-Oil Pump, OilCooler with Thermostat, Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel, SLP-Intake, Meziere EWP with 160 Thermostat, no PowerSteering Pump, no AC, no EGR, no AIR, no CAT's, open Sidepipes, other than that bone Stock.... tuning and logging: LS1edit&Autotap
LS1AC-Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:28 AM   #8
TECH Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 36

If you know you are going to be working with fiberglass put baby powder on your hands/arms before hand.

Also as mentioned don't take a shower in hot water it only makes it worse. Stick with cool/cold water.
LilJayV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:19 AM   #9
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now

also, earlier today i wrapped myself in masking tape and peeled it off. Suprisingly, this helped the most out of all. Interesting. I was like a mummy, pretty neat!

1999 Chevy Camaro SS M6
Old 08-05-2009, 09:05 AM   #10
TECH Enthusiast
1999 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 118
Send a message via AIM to xxrillixx

LOL, you must have had it really bad... or your a wuss.

I just try to protect myself from it as much as possible, but usually its something i forget about. Washing with soap works the best for me... and like stated above, you just live with it for a couple days.

Id much rather wait then shave my arms and all that. lol. That would have to itch too.

And thanks for reminding me... next time im under the car i need to wrap the hot side to the turbo again.
- 07 Red TBSS
xxrillixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:21 AM   #11
10 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 27
Send a message via AIM to RsSean

Shaving proballly made it worse for you. I would try some lotion, on the itching parts, it seems to work well when I did my headers a while back. If you ever do that again soak the header wrap in water, it makes working with the headers wrap 100x better, and it also keeps down on the air borne particles as well.
2000 Camaro SS 10.41 @134 1.33 60ft T56
RsSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:54 PM   #12
TECH Enthusiast
2013 Ford Mustang
My Garage

Like a few of the others said, make sure you wash with cold water.

2013 Mustang GT, M6, Tech package - Bone Stock
Dan Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:55 PM   #13
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 13

i to wrap my headers and it sucks but im used to it i am a mechanical union insulator and deal fiberglass every day but it doesnt really bother me

for future refrence dont do any of those things u listed that just made everything worse and drove the glass deeper

if it bothers u that much dont mess with it or wear long sleeves and gloves and tape your wrist and rub baby powder on your arms before u start will help keep it from getting in your pores

and just take i normal shower when your done no scrubbing

new 9.3.1 comp 370 with truck man kit 2.5 ls6 heads speed inc tu2 cam eled pro flow intake in progress shooten for 800 rwh turbo ?
rpm level 5 gforce gearset t56,33 spline 12 bolt detriot locker, full susp,mini tubed 345 s
itsjustaSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:38 PM   #14
TECH Enthusiast
1999 Subaru Legacy
My Garage

Trader Rating: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxrillixx View Post
LOL, you must have had it really bad... or your a wuss. .
lol. i eat that **** for breakfast. between boats, attics,duct work and corvettes ive had enough fiberglass to kill a small village but the stuff doesnt bother me at all. must be one of the lucky ones
07 Sky Redline- because I really like boost
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKnowsBaseball View Post
I added a life goal to my list after that situation. I'm gonna tounge punch his mom's fart box...
subarubill96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:48 AM   #15
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 2

I helped a buddy put down another layer of the pink stuff in his attic(returning the favor for the work he did on my car stereo install). I wore short sleeves and gloves, didn't have a single itch the whole time.
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
Last time I walked into an auto zone an employee told me "have you tried to google it? I dont even really work on cars"
Its like having a vegetarian as head chef at a steak house
AronZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:32 AM   #16
12 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 10

I think housing insulation is a easier type of fiberglass cause I have been around a lot of it and never have had an issue w/ it either, and I know I'm not immune...
99 Sierra 5.3- Not even going to bother...
02 Suzuki Volusia 800
ImpalaSSpeed96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:45 AM   #17
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Blow it off first, but not at a close distance or try and vacuuming your arms and exposed areas! I deal with this stuff and other stuff doing HVAC!
httrdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:54 PM   #18
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 2

Ive heard that rubbing your arms with panty hose will snag it.... The painter at my last shop told me this.... of course he was a grade A weirdo and just might of been into that stuff..
CTSmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:32 PM   #19
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

pant hose does work,never take hot shower........
lkn2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #20
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 6

quit being a beyetch and take a cold shower. why do we use hot water before we shave, oh yea to open the pores. Cold showers don't let the fiberglass get any deeper.
i used to clean my boat all the time and i'd just where gloves and long sleeve shirts.

2002 NBM CAMARO SS, a4, borla 13.0@106
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBlood55 View Post
Heads are only worth as much as the **** eating grin on your face when going fast.
blakez28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:12 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement