Go Back   LS1TECH > WEBSITE ACTIVITY FORUMS > Racer's Lounge
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 11-29-2010, 12:43 AM   #1
Staging Lane
1999 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 1
Default ethanol free gas

Not sure if this has been posted before, (did a quick search) but while doing my typical internet rambles i stumbled across sites promoting and arguing for ethanol free gas. Even a site that will show ethanol free stations in your area.

http://pure-gas.org/comments?viewall

http://www.buyrealgas.com/

Maybe some of yall can benefit from this, The closest one to me is about 5 miles, with 5 or so in a 20ish mile radius. I haven't inspected the gas-map that closely but it seemed like all local non-ethanol stations were mom and pop and low grade type stations. I went ahead and looked in Birmingham (AL) and i saw one chevron and one shell among mostly independant stations.

edit: I have been buying gas from Shell, Chevron, "good" gas stations. I wonder if getting the "bad" gas stations ethanol free (still 93) gas will be better? I'm putting a rear end in my car right now, so I can't really say for sure right now, but I think I will at least try one of these stations..

Red 90 Talon AWD

all stock

WWW.CORRELATEDMAGNETICS.COM
^ March 2010 Popular Mechanics - pg. 18

Last edited by traviSS396; 11-29-2010 at 12:46 AM.. Reason: more thoughts added
traviSS396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
Launching!
2001 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 0

I thought it was federally mandated that all gas be made with 10% ethanal? Now im confused.
Finkledbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:05 PM   #3
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Don't give me too much **** for asking this, but is ethanol-free gas worth driving an extra 10 miles out of my way to get? I've heard it gives somewhat better performance and somewhat better mpg, but I've never seen any research or anything that actually proves it.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 18

Around here (at least) the 10% ethanol deal is only required in areas with a certain population density. I still don't feel the need to drive out of my way to get gas without alcohol. If I want good gas it comes from a 5gal pail.

10.08 @ 134 - 435 hp NA through the big auto

Richmond Performance Musclecars...The Real RPM!
ryarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
Douchebag On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSouthWS6 View Post
Don't give me too much **** for asking this, but is ethanol-free gas worth driving an extra 10 miles out of my way to get? I've heard it gives somewhat better performance and somewhat better mpg, but I've never seen any research or anything that actually proves it.
E85 is about 115 octane so it makes more power, but the regular 87-89-93 with 10% ethanol are still the same octane and make the same power. 100% gasoline will get you ~1mpg more than a 10% blend too. It's more of a "take a hit for the better of the environment" sort of thing.
justin455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
Staging Lane
1999 Chevrolet Camaro

I've read a little about the e85 being using in turbo cars with massive injectors and proper tuning to make much more boost, and more power, without what it would normally take to run 40lbs of boost. More from the alcohol's cooling properties than the octane I think. Seems like it takes 30% more fuel for that swap IIRC..

There isn't any E85 around here that i know of, but judging by what it takes to run those cars on it, I'm not in a hurry to find any.

E85 is supposed to give you 10-15% less gas mileage. It is also cheaper, but i read "expect to save $4 every 1000 miles" --talking about regular cars that actually get MILES per gallon

I think it's a crock and just like everything else, they're trying to make it look like our cars actually have a significant impact on the environment, Now they're trying to say that the brand new fuel efficient and low emission cars need new fuel to make a lower impact. I read the majority of oil that the US uses doesn't even come from the Middle East, 90% comes from Canada and Venezuela, IIRC. I think if gasoline is seriously going out the window, then electric will be better for the other 99% of people. That way people can still have corn on the table, and other foods also for that matter if corn isn't the only plant grown in the US in 50 years.

Not like I can keep gasoline around by myself..

Red 90 Talon AWD

all stock

Old 11-30-2010, 08:29 PM   #7
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 40

I lose about 63 miles to a tank in my 10 gallon Honda with this new **** gas
Old 11-30-2010, 11:38 PM   #8
Staging Lane
1999 Chevrolet Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom281 View Post
I lose about 63 miles to a tank in my 10 gallon Honda with this new **** gas
Wow. Damn.

Red 90 Talon AWD

all stock

Old 11-30-2010, 11:49 PM   #9
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 3

Your 91 and 93 have ethanol in them too? Around here 91/92/93 is pretty much always 100%, 87/89 is 10% ethanol besides a couple places. 10% does cause a decent drop in cars that I have seen, I have heard it does bad things to quads/snowmobiles too.

2008 JSB C6 485whp/445tq
gocartone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:47 AM   #10
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 8

i know that there is this fuel additive that does something with the ethanol. my dads friend promotes it but thats about all i know
2009 WH GXP #129/1829 - Livernois 224/236 612 cam, Maggie 2300, 3" pulley, 60# injectors, BAP, Kook's Shorties, Dynotech Aluminum DS, Corsa Exhaust w/
SLP LM2 mufflers and cutouts, CNC heads, 3.70 rear, Yank 3200 stall, Snow Meth kit, 2 JL 10w3's, Senator spoiler. 554rwhp/442rwtq
2008 LIQUID RED G8 GT- Sold 1999 Satin Black Trans am - Sold

my bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:00 AM   #11
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 5
Send a message via AIM to Element

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin455 View Post
E85 is about 115 octane so it makes more power, but the regular 87-89-93 with 10% ethanol are still the same octane and make the same power. 100% gasoline will get you ~1mpg more than a 10% blend too. It's more of a "take a hit for the better of the environment" sort of thing.
I went from 37mpg to around 31mpg in my daily when the 10% ethanol bullshit kicked in. Better for the environment my *** - how is making me buy more gas (which didn't get any cheaper when they added ethanol to it) and drive a car that's less fuel-efficient with this **** "better for the environment"?

Companies add ethanol to gas because the government offers them benefits for doing so. Gas mileage with ethanol blend is worse, meaning I have to buy more gas, but it's not cheaper with the ethanol blend - so the gas companies make more money by selling more gas AND from government benefits, and the government gets more gas tax money because I have to buy more of it. Government-subsidized huge farms sell corn for ethanol production, meaning feed prices for livestock goes up, which means food prices go up. Now, I pay the same amount for shittier gas, AND my grocery bill's gone up because of it. Wonderful.

It's nothing but a bullshit racketeering operation that does absolutely nothing to benefit the environment. And, if you read around on it, ethanol-blend emissions are actually worse that straight gas emissions.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:07 AM   #12
TECH Fanatic
2000 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 17

ethanol is a scam... its hardly even efficient to produce.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:53 AM   #13
Garage is empty, add now

Chase-Hardly isn't even in the picture. It's not at all efficient to produce.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #14
13 Second Truck Club
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 17

i didnt notice but 1 to 2 mpgs difference in my dd which is a 07 cobalt but the 10% ethanol gas is about 10 cents cheaper so it really about the same
1972 Chevelle Lq4 6.0 with 243s 4l80e Edelbrock longtubes 3 in. duals with h pipe and bullets 12 bolt rear, tubular rear control arms under construction....... 1999 ECSB Silverado lq4 with 243s and tr224 bb tuned 06 efans 3.73s, long tubes with duramax catback
726.0chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:56 PM   #15
TECH Fanatic
2002 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
I went from 37mpg to around 31mpg in my daily when the 10% ethanol bullshit kicked in. Better for the environment my *** - how is making me buy more gas (which didn't get any cheaper when they added ethanol to it) and drive a car that's less fuel-efficient with this **** "better for the environment"?

Companies add ethanol to gas because the government offers them benefits for doing so. Gas mileage with ethanol blend is worse, meaning I have to buy more gas, but it's not cheaper with the ethanol blend - so the gas companies make more money by selling more gas AND from government benefits, and the government gets more gas tax money because I have to buy more of it. Government-subsidized huge farms sell corn for ethanol production, meaning feed prices for livestock goes up, which means food prices go up. Now, I pay the same amount for shittier gas, AND my grocery bill's gone up because of it. Wonderful.

It's nothing but a bullshit racketeering operation that does absolutely nothing to benefit the environment. And, if you read around on it, ethanol-blend emissions are actually worse that straight gas emissions.
^ This.

It's a scam, period. It's the same thing as a drug dealer cutting his cocaine with baking soda.
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:28 PM   #16
12 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via MSN to BLK85

And the Government subsidies ethanol too. Ethanol is a complete joke. I avoid it at all costs. Gas stations are close enough together that its not driving 10 miles out of my way. Most stations have a selection for with and without.

Does anyone know if gas stations dont have to put the thing on pumps any more that says if it has Ethanol in it or not? Stations that once had the stickers on the pumps no longer do now. It makes me leary of buying gas from them now. My motorcycles owners manual specifically says NOT to use any of that gas.
1998 Pontiac Firebird Formula HT M6-12.36@112mph 1.7x 60ft-SOLD
BLK85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:50 PM   #17
Staging Lane
1999 Chevrolet Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post

Sounds about right

Red 90 Talon AWD

all stock

Last edited by traviSS396; 12-04-2010 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 12-04-2010, 04:33 PM   #18
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK85 View Post
And the Government subsidies ethanol too. Ethanol is a complete joke. I avoid it at all costs. Gas stations are close enough together that its not driving 10 miles out of my way. Most stations have a selection for with and without.

Does anyone know if gas stations dont have to put the thing on pumps any more that says if it has Ethanol in it or not? Stations that once had the stickers on the pumps no longer do now. It makes me leary of buying gas from them now. My motorcycles owners manual specifically says NOT to use any of that gas.
If they had it on before and don't now the sticker probably fell off. You could always just ask them if it does or doesn't.

2008 JSB C6 485whp/445tq
gocartone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:08 PM   #19
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

E85 can allow for more boost and more power essentially.
You also tend to guzzle the **** out of it though..

Back on 'Tech and better than ever.
2003 C5 Z06 - Stock as a Rock and loving every second.

_
DiscerningZ32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:53 PM   #20
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 4

Ethanol does not have as much potential energy as gasoline, so more has to be used, therefore the mileage is always going to be less.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:53 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
al, birmingham, camaro, chevron, columbia, companies, ethanol, ethanolfree, free, gas, gasoline, huntsville, joke, sc, stations