Go Back   LS1TECH > WEBSITE ACTIVITY FORUMS > Racer's Lounge
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 02-16-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
TECH Junkie
1995 Pontiac Trans Am

Trader Rating: 2
Default Has anyone ever had to put down a deposit for Comcast?

I'm moving from indiana to florida and have my duplex setup so today i decided to call FPL and get the electric put in my name and then called comcast to get the TV and internet setup and they went through everything and said they required a deposit that i'd have to pay in person. well i'm 1200 miles away and won't be back there till around march 2-3 and i want the cable setup that friday march 4. They said they could take the HD box off the order which is the only thing they need deposits for depending on credit. now here's the kicker. have a credit score in the high 700s and no debt (other than a couple hundred $ on my CC from that trip) why the heck would they need a deposit? so now i gotta have them do the install, then take the non HD box back to their office in fort myers and exchange it for an HD box which bypasses the deposit.

has anyone else ever had this issue?

The only thing i can think of is that because i had to have a credit check for the duplex, and one for FPL that maybe i have too many pulls on my account right now so it threw a red flag? (i also got one of my free annual reports a couple weeks ago along with a score a few weeks ago so i would have it when i went down there. at that time it was 782 FWIW)

1995 Black TA A4 LT1
Mods: MSD cap and rotor, MSD wires, NGK plugs, K&N filter, 17" corvette GS replicas, Ram Air and OEM WS6 hood, 3.42 gears
1995blacktattop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
On the tree
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0

Comcast may not run a actual credit check. It does cost money to run them. We run them on all new customers for deposits (I work for electric utility co) but I know that some of the other local utilities dont run for deposit and just require deposit from every customer unless they can provide utility payment history that meets their requirements.
Sneakyws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:52 PM   #3
TECH Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 87

Deposits are required for lots of things. Get used to it.

01 SS Rally Red A4 #4987, 04 Yukon XL Denali, 99 Cadillac STS-SOLD
01ssreda4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #4
TECH Junkie
1995 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01ssreda4 View Post
Deposits are required for lots of things. Get used to it.
well yeah but they said "depending on xxxx, you may or may not need a deposit" i assume it had to do with credit and i know my credit history/score. currently i have $0 debt (i just paid off my CC with the money from the trip on it)

maybe because i'm not working but they wouldn't be able to tell that on a credit check.

1995 Black TA A4 LT1
Mods: MSD cap and rotor, MSD wires, NGK plugs, K&N filter, 17" corvette GS replicas, Ram Air and OEM WS6 hood, 3.42 gears
Old 02-17-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1

A lot of industries aren't considering a credit score in the low to mid-700s to be great anymore. That, and you don't have any current credit history in the area. Moving to a new state, it may just be standard for them to require this. You could go with the non-HD setup for now, and bump it up in a couple months after they see you pay timely.
Z Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #6
TECH Addict
2014 Ford Escape

Some they do, some they don't... Consider telling Comcast you'll just go with a satellite service instead, if they require a deposit. That may work, or they may say seeya... Either way, you don't REALLY lose...
Old 02-17-2011, 12:45 PM   #7
TECH Resident
2002 Chevrolet Camaro
My Garage

It is the theft rate in the area of the HD/DVR boxes that require them to get a deposit.

Know that utilities hitting your credit has very little impact on your score.

Get used to credit inquiries .... more and more rates are affected by your credit score everyday. Your car insurance rates are affected by your credit score. Your credit card interest rate is affected by your credit score even though you never had a late with that company. Thank your current Administration ... !!!

Light Pewter 2002 Camaro SS Hardtop-Dyno'd 508 rwhp/497 rwtq (SDPC 402, TEA/TFS CNC 215's, Vindicator 240/244 .605/.596 112 LSA, Ported 90 FAST/90 NWTB, Kooks LT's, Catless ORY, OZ700, Strange, Spohn, UMI, S60, Spool & 4.10's) (Sold ... onto other toys)
Ultra Marine 2008 Hummer H2 SUV, 393 bhp (Tow Truck)
Black Obsidian 2009 G37S Coupe, 7-Speed Auto, Michelin PSS's, 330 bhp (Wife's Toy)
Merlot Sunglo 2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide FLHX, 87 rwhp/103 rwt ... 107" build & more now underway
BrianSF-GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
TECH Resident
2002 Chevrolet Camaro
My Garage

By the way, I couldn't live without my HD service and 5.1 surround sound availability ... it saves big money in movie tickets!

Light Pewter 2002 Camaro SS Hardtop-Dyno'd 508 rwhp/497 rwtq (SDPC 402, TEA/TFS CNC 215's, Vindicator 240/244 .605/.596 112 LSA, Ported 90 FAST/90 NWTB, Kooks LT's, Catless ORY, OZ700, Strange, Spohn, UMI, S60, Spool & 4.10's) (Sold ... onto other toys)
Ultra Marine 2008 Hummer H2 SUV, 393 bhp (Tow Truck)
Black Obsidian 2009 G37S Coupe, 7-Speed Auto, Michelin PSS's, 330 bhp (Wife's Toy)
Merlot Sunglo 2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide FLHX, 87 rwhp/103 rwt ... 107" build & more now underway
BrianSF-GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
On the tree
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA View Post
By the way, I couldn't live without my HD service and 5.1 surround sound availability ... it saves big money in movie tickets!
This and the blueray player are the truth for sure....lol

When my customer service department runs a customer for deposit they don not see the actual report, the program only gives a yes or no answer or Id required. If I run it I can see some things from the report like name, names used, spouse, DOB, phone #, employer info and previous addresses but not actual bill info.

Also most all of these hits are soft hits and do not charge you fico points for the inquiry.
Sneakyws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #10
TECH Junkie
1995 Pontiac Trans Am

Well i'm just going to have them install the non HD box and then do the switch. it's not that i was unwilling to leave a deposit, it's that they said i'd have to go to the local office to do so and that is not possible as i'm 1200 mi away right now and don't want to get down there and then have to wait 2 weeks to get internet service. i'll just let the guy do the install then take the box back to the comcast store in ft myers and exchange it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Fury View Post
A lot of industries aren't considering a credit score in the low to mid-700s to be great anymore. That, and you don't have any current credit history in the area. Moving to a new state, it may just be standard for them to require this. You could go with the non-HD setup for now, and bump it up in a couple months after they see you pay timely.
my score for the last year or so has hovered between 782-802. i'd hardly consider that the low-mid 700s. as for getting the HD box, see above, i went with the non HD and will immediatly upgrade it once i'm there to do so. i just didn't want to wait to sign up for cable until i got down there and then have them say there were no install times available or something. so i'll just let the guy do the install and after he leaves, remove the box and drive to comcast to swap it.

1995 Black TA A4 LT1
Old 02-17-2011, 05:49 PM   #11
TECH Veteran
1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Send a message via AIM to Danny2tek

I work for another cable company and we just started doing the same thing. A second company gives the go/no go on required deposits. The problem is most people when they terminate service don't return the modems, receivers, DVR's back to the company. Modems are cheap but DVR's are expensive! especially HD DVR's.

Converting from sealed beams?... Conversion Kit
Danny2tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:52 PM   #12
TECH Junkie
1995 Pontiac Trans Am

what about HD receivers? IIRC i didn't order an HD DVR, just the receiver box.

1995 Black TA A4 LT1
Old 02-18-2011, 06:40 AM   #13
TECH Veteran
1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Send a message via AIM to Danny2tek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop View Post
what about HD receivers? IIRC i didn't order an HD DVR, just the receiver box.
We do, pretty sure Comcast does as well

Converting from sealed beams?... Conversion Kit
Danny2tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:40 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
card, check, comcast, credit, deposit, down, dvr, give, hd, hddvr, pay, put, require, requires, tech